Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HID's possible in tyc black projectors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID's possible in tyc black projectors?

i have a 98 ex coupe with tyc black housing projector head lights

i have heard that HID kits do not fit in the black headlights....

can anyone advise me if this is true or not i am looking to get some HID's and want to know how to go about doing it....

thanks for any help
Old 02-11-2008, 11:29 AM

Default Re: HID's possible in tyc black projectors? (hondacivic614)

check out the lighting forum, people have done it, alot, but please don't get a PnP kit get them retrofitted, If you have some extra money to play with though TYC does make a black HID projector headlamp that is DOT legal and as far as I know it's the only way to get HiDs in your car legally
Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: HID's possible in tyc black projectors? (hondacivic614)

why wouldn't HID kits fit in black headlights?

There's tons of cars that come stock with HIDs and black housings.

If you just want a plug n play kit, check which bulb type/size you have, and go from there. I have a 9005/9006 kit for sale. 4300K.

4300k is what most OEMs use. It's the most light output.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i have an ek hatch and i put hids in my car. i have the ctr black housing lights and theyre super bright. im pretty sure theyre not dot approved.

not the best angle of them...
Old 02-12-2008, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (jonaldjenkins)

ok so how would i retrofit the lights i have?

or can i just find a kit with the bulb size i have and use that?

what are the disadvantages of PnP?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Default Re: (hondacivic614)

also.... whered u get the grill for your ek?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondacivic614 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so how would i retrofit the lights i have?

what are the disadvantages of PnP?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the SEARCH function disabled?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:19 PM

Default Re: (93EGB18C1)

i have SEARCHED .... ive found no step by step instructions on how to retrofit
Old 02-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1213676

Found that with 10 seconds of searching, imagine what you can find with more.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondacivic614 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so how would i retrofit the lights i have?

what are the disadvantages of PnP?</TD></TR></TABLE>
To retrofit HIDs take the projector out of a car that comes with them and cut enough space to mount it in the existing headlight. There are shops that do retrofitting but seriously check out the lighting forum here. there's alot more info than you think on this as I've seen at least five threads there in the past week on HID retrofitting, Kits etc.

DON'T BUY A PLUG AND PLAY KIT!! Their beam dispersal pattern through Halogen Projectors or worse through halogen reflectors is atrocious. You WILL blind oncoming drivers and they aren't DOT certified so when you finally blind a cop you will get at least one ticket. Having said that there is one way to get DOT certified HIDs in your EK and that is the TYC HID kit (This is not the same thing as getting the black halogen projector headlamp and putting in an HID bulb and ballast)

And B serious, I think we all know that the S2K has HIDs and obviously is legally equipped with them, but it has little relevance on this discussion. Unless your suggesting he buy a $30K car to get HIDs instead of spend $500 on the correct kit.

*Edit* I can't find the TYC kit for an EK but look through the forum links I'm giving you there's some peeps who can help you waaaaay more with getting good HIDs than you'll typically find in the EG+ forum

Links for those who cannot help themselves
http://www.autodynamic.com/det...C-HID
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2125238
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2201866
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2208365
Also check http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ for more info than you'd ever want on HIDs and LEDs
Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Remington)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Remington &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And B serious, I think we all know that the S2K has HIDs and obviously is legally equipped with them, but it has little relevance on this discussion. Unless your suggesting he buy a $30K car to get HIDs instead of spend $500 on the correct kit.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. I was under the impression that he thought that you couldn't put HIDs in black housing headlights. I was demonstrating that there's no relevance to the color of your housing to having HIDs. UNLESS....he was stating that the TYC black housing projectors are different from the regular housing projectors or something. Maybe they have less room or something like that. I wasn't totally sure what he meant.

PNP kits really aren't that bad. I had one on my integra. If you have projectors, it really does keep them in check. The light beam wasn't ALL OVER the place. It was about as sharp as having the regular halogens. So there was a decent cut off, and the light output was very impressive. Very much improved over the stock halogens. It wasn't nearly as nice as my S2000, so obviously the retrofit would be better, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that I only spent about $139.99 on my PNP kit. I didn't wanna spend $500-1000 for all the parts and maybe labor on my headlights for a retrofit. The car was just my daily driver.

I have an EM1 now as a daily. I would suggest staying the freak away from PNP HID kits if you have reflector beam headlights. Shittiest light output ever. It's WORSE than stock on my friend's 97 civic. The light just goes everywhere and it blinds people more than it lights up the road even after we meticulously aimed them.

Since the OP has projectors, the PNP kit really shouldn't be that bad unless he gets some ridiculous color temperature.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

is there a thread out there that shows plug and play in an integra. I know people hate Pnp in reflector headlights. how does Pnp look on stock integra projectors
Old 02-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b20quang)

hidplanet.com

google.com

you want answers, take initiative and you'll find'em or at least find a good place to ask questions
Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2217490

theres a link to a thread i started and down the page there are two pics of guys with PnP in their TYCs
Old 02-13-2008, 07:46 AM

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nope. I was under the impression that he thought that you couldn't put HIDs in black housing headlights. I was demonstrating that there's no relevance to the color of your housing to having HIDs. UNLESS....he was stating that the TYC black housing projectors are different from the regular housing projectors or something. Maybe they have less room or something like that. I wasn't totally sure what he meant.

PNP kits really aren't that bad. I had one on my integra. If you have projectors, it really does keep them in check. The light beam wasn't ALL OVER the place. It was about as sharp as having the regular halogens. So there was a decent cut off, and the light output was very impressive. Very much improved over the stock halogens. It wasn't nearly as nice as my S2000, so obviously the retrofit would be better, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that I only spent about $139.99 on my PNP kit. I didn't wanna spend $500-1000 for all the parts and maybe labor on my headlights for a retrofit. The car was just my daily driver.

I have an EM1 now as a daily. I would suggest staying the freak away from PNP HID kits if you have reflector beam headlights. Shittiest light output ever. It's WORSE than stock on my friend's 97 civic. The light just goes everywhere and it blinds people more than it lights up the road even after we meticulously aimed them.

Since the OP has projectors, the PNP kit really shouldn't be that bad unless he gets some ridiculous color temperature. </TD></TR></TABLE>

OK I thought you were just showing off fun *** toys.

While it's true that halogen projectors are better than reflector housings. I still say just say no to HID PNP kits. Seriously, it's not like this is a necessary item so you can go the route of all evil and get the Plug and play kit, (think of an APC header for comparative purposes) or slowly buy up the parts for the retrofit, a ballast here, projector there etc. (and for comparison lets say an SMSP or Bismoto header) there's a cheap and easy way to do anything and there's the correct way to do it.

My voice still says no PnP kits and I very severely doubt this guy spent more than ten minutes looking for answers, If he posted another thread asking about HIDs in the EG+ forum, when all the people who know how to do this project on a budget are in lighting forum https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum/107 Check it out