Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hidden Hitch Install on my 99 LX (3hrs later)...*!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Hidden Hitch Install on my 99 LX (3hrs later)...*!!

So I layed on my back for 3+ hours yesterday/night installing this hidden hitch #60909 (used unit) on my 99 LX. LET ME TELL YOU! It is almost impossible to get the small rectangle bracket and bolt inside of the frame channel due to limited space! I finally got bright and attached a piece of string to the end of the bolt and fed it through the hole BUT when trying to do this the head of the bolt would hit another nut where the frame is attached to the body!!! So the bolt wouldnt tilt up inside of frame channel!! Plus the damn rectangle bracket would move on you..... WOW what an istall... Finally got it installed after 3+ hours of messing with it....And all over the internet and hiddenhitch.com is states 15 min. install.......BS!!!! So I email hiddenhitch to get instructions so I can see how the hell or what makes it easy and a 15 min. job... Insructions reveal a "bolt leader" a string like object to feed bolt through the frame. Very similar to my string idea i guess but I still dont see or can find an easy way around turning the bolt upward to go in hole of bracket.....

Anyways....wanted vent because this was WAY more complicated than what I initially thought!!! If anyone has installed a hitch with similar setup, please inlighten me!...

But now I can tow my sport ATV and save fuel!!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hidden Hitch Install on my 99 LX (3hrs later)...F*!!

The bolt leader is not string it is wire that has a couple of coils on the end for the bolt to thread into and it works like a charm,although I have never done one on a civic but have done many on other cars.
Feed wire into hole in frame put plate on it and thread bolt on and install,wire is stiff enough to lift bolt to upright position and make it a cakewalk.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well mine is setup where the plate goes in frame channel then bolt in frame and inside of plate/frame holes.... the bolt hardly would NOT stand up inside of frame to drop in holes. It was a royal pain! if it was the bolt only through hole wouldnt be bad but with the plate also made it difficult. Like stated, the damn bolts were just too tall to stand up in frame and drop in holes, and more difficults since another nut/bolt was in the way in the frame hindering the my bolt from standing up.....

attached is the PDF from hiddenhitch of install...

But its on there now!!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
HiddenHitch_60909.pdf (40.3 KB, 467 views)
Old 04-11-2011, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Pics of installed hitch....
Attached Images     
Old 04-11-2011, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad someone posted this - I'm thinking about getting one. In the USA, we don't often think about the usefulness of a small trailer behind a car. looks good for mounting a proper bicycle rack too. Good post!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cheggie
Glad someone posted this - I'm thinking about getting one. In the USA, we don't often think about the usefulness of a small trailer behind a car. looks good for mounting a proper bicycle rack too. Good post!

Very Welcome!! I decided to post bc I couldnt find anything on this install setup when I decided to go this route so here it is...Ive been thinkin of this for several months now...my atv only weighs 400lb and i have a small 4x6 tilt trailer and I see no reason why my civic couldnt handle this with ease, this way my V8 ford expedition can stay in the garage more often with gas at $4 a gallon. I picked up this hitch used with all mounting hardware, instert with ball, wire harness to install on car and locking pin for $80. Ive found new ones online for around 130-160 for hitch assembly only. Accessories will be extra! Oh! and U-haul sells for $119 (hitch only).

I highly recommend the hidden-hitch setup. After all my research i saw it was the best and is hidden VERY well (as seen in pics). I actually spoke with tech support this morning and they assured me that the model numbers have changed for the 92-2000 civic (2-4dr) hitch but nothing structural has changed since 2007 (like mine). And installation should be a bit easier when buying brand new which will come with the proper "bolt leader" tool. And it would be great for a bike rack... what most people buy/use them for since it keeps the bikes totally off of vehicle. Plus you could tow if ya want.

I will try to update this post with how well my civic pulls my atv since i have various terrain here in TN.

Good luck and let me know if I can help at all...
Old 04-18-2011, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: Hidden Hitch Install on my 99 LX (3hrs later)...F*!!

***UPDATE***

Well I finally hooked up my raptor to the back of my vic and Ill have to say she did better than expected and I had my wife and daughter in the car with me. If anyone is questioning doing this.....Id say do it. But I wouldnt go with much of a heavier load. My raptor weighs 400lb and the trailer is small and light weight.

GO Honda!
Attached Images    
Old 04-18-2011, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm... never thought of this... would be very handy for a bike trailer. And my buell blast it right around 400lbs... im going to look more into this. thanx for posting
Old 04-18-2011, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vartok
hmm... never thought of this... would be very handy for a bike trailer. And my buell blast it right around 400lbs... im going to look more into this. thanx for posting
No problem man! I figured it was worth a try....and of course if i think at all at any time its potentially damaging my vic, it will be taken off but i think its good to go! And I had to put my raptor all the way up on the trailer just to get any tounge weight! Id say youll be fine with your buell and a small moto trailer. Try to find ya a used one and give it a shot. If ya dont like it, im sure you can out it back out there and sell it cuz mose civic owners buy these to haul bikes instead of using bike racks.....

And Im hoping to get around 25mpg hauling.......better than 12!

Good luck!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cueto
***UPDATE***

Well I finally hooked up my raptor to the back of my vic and Ill have to say she did better than expected and I had my wife and daughter in the car with me. If anyone is questioning doing this.....Id say do it. But I wouldnt go with much of a heavier load. My raptor weighs 400lb and the trailer is small and light weight.

GO Honda!

thats what i need for my raptor also raptor bump were did you buy the hidden hitch
Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EG6KILIN
thats what i need for my raptor also raptor bump were did you buy the hidden hitch
Got it off of Craigslist for $85 It was great condition, I just slapped a fresh coat of gloss black paint on it before install. I called around and U-haul sells for $119 (you pick up adn install). If you have them install and wire it up its over $200. i also found some on ebay around $135-$160 shipped.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, thanks for the pics!! I'm debating on installing a hitch on my '00 Si to haul my motorcycle around. I have a OEM rear lip installed, does anyone know if that'll interfere with the hitch?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this looks cooler than expected
Old 04-28-2011, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wahski
Awesome, thanks for the pics!! I'm debating on installing a hitch on my '00 Si to haul my motorcycle around. I have a OEM rear lip installed, does anyone know if that'll interfere with the hitch?

Im not sure what ya mean by oem lip but if it hangs lower than factory rear bumper cover han id suggest going with the hidden hitch like mine! If you notice in the pics the hitch is "hidden" up high while the insert tube is mounted below! This will give you more clearance for your lip( I believe). Other hitches are designed where the insert tube comes straight out front rear side of hitch vs. hanging below like mine. And I just flipped by drop so my ball sits highter!

Worked great. Good luck.

I say go for it
Old 04-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by F4MzEkSOL
this looks cooler than expected

Damn rite!! I said ye same thing after install. When standing behind it ya hardly notice it ...
Old 04-29-2011, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The lip doesn't really sit lower, it just flares out the bottom of the bumper cover mostly. Did you bother with a wiring harness at all? All the one's I've seen you have to splice into your taillight wiring and hang it out of the trunk...tacky
Old 04-29-2011, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you would be fine since it turns out then... and I did install wiring. I tapped into oem wires and hid all wiring behind trunk mat so you don't see anything but the plug in the trunk. When used I just Phil enough out and go through trunk. The hide back when done.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ill post a pic of wiring inside of trunk space soon. I don't know why people leave em hangin out of car trunks and rears of suv's......that is tacky.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd appreciate that. Depending on if I get this new job and have to move I might be doing this in the next few weeks.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On installing those bolts I have used a length of weedeater line taped lengthwise with electrical tape to the threads of the bolt. The line is flexible enough to thread thru the frame and stiff enough to stand the bolt up inside the frame and pull thru the hole. If the bolts hit interference in the frame when you make the turn to drop them down in the hole just go to the hardware store and get the next size shorter bolt. Get case hardend bolts or stainless with the same thread size and use the provided nuts. Lock washers are a good idea too.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default HIDDEN HITCH WIRE/PLUG INSTALL!

WAHSKI: As requested!!...
You can see that only the plug hangs out of trunk liner. this way it dont get in the way while loading and unloading items in the trunk. and as you use it just pull out enough wire then when done, just pull back trunk liner and stuff wire back to hide! PRESTO!
Attached Images   

Last edited by cueto; 05-03-2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: 4got pics!
Old 05-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, thanks for the pics. I can handle the mechanical part just fine I just hate wiring. Hopefully if I do this I don't hack up my taillight wiring!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HIDDEN HITCH WIRE/PLUG INSTALL!

Originally Posted by cueto
WAHSKI: As requested!!...
You can see that only the plug hangs out of trunk liner. this way it dont get in the way while loading and unloading items in the trunk. and as you use it just pull out enough wire then when done, just pull back trunk liner and stuff wire back to hide! PRESTO!
looks good, i have worked at uhaul for 9 years and that's how i would recommend it. if you are not towing it everyday there is no need to wrestle with getting the wiring to the outside of the car.

also a suggestion, use a short extension on your wiring so as time goes on and the insulation wears you can just unplug it/replace it, rather than cut/splice/repair you car end
Old 05-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 3M WIRE CONNECTORS

I used 3M wire connectors to tap into the vehicle wires. These are at any local auto parts store and walmart! NO cutting of factory wires! Just find desired wire (turn, stop, etc.. by probing during operation) and open up the connector and lay vehicle wire inside of connector and associated trailer wire color in correspondence in connector in slot next to vehicle wire and squeeze down metal piece which will peel off insulation and make contact with wire therefore making a connection with the 2 wires, then just place small flap on connector to itself which will hold clamp together. These are the best option Ive found when "tapping" into wires...... Here is a pic of what I use all the time. You can barely see them in my above pics...(dark blue)

GOod LuCk!
Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome info bro, thanks for sharing.
I've been thinking about doing this to my '93 Hatch for a while, now I might just do it at last!

-Walter

Quick Reply: Hidden Hitch Install on my 99 LX (3hrs later)...*!!