Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HID question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID question

*** SORRY I KNOW THAT THIS PROBABLY DOES NOT BELONG HERE***

i have a hella hid kit and just burnt out one of the small black relays in the harness.... does ANYONE know where i can buy replacements???

THANK YOU VEYR MUCH IN ADVANCE!!

please help...
Old 11-04-2004, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID question (oc_civic)

bump...
Old 11-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes you are in the wrong forum, and yes you can buy new replacement relays, they are not anything spoecial they are just normal relays.......go to any electronics/automotive shop you'll find it.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID question (95cxhatch)

not to be a dick.. but i already apologized for the threads placement.. im not some stupid ******* noob, ive been on this site for quite some time.. i dont post much... but im on it alot...

you really didn't answer my question.. i OBVIOUSLY know that someone sells them.. and i OBVIOUSLY know you can buy them somewhere.. the thread is to find out how the hell to figure out which one i need.... im sure if i walk into advanced auto and show it to them.. they will say "ok let me look it up in the computer.. what car is it for" and at that point i will instantly get nowhere... i do however APPRECIATE your ATEMPT to help.. i just need to know how i know what relay to buy,,, if you have any more info.. PLEASE share it...

if its an enormous issue the mods will move the thread...

thanks.. again..
Old 11-05-2004, 04:48 AM
HT Order of Merit

Why dont you just call Hella?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID question (JDM_Ej)

thats a good idea.. but i think that its a "kit" i dont think that hella actualy makes the kit.. i just think that the people who put the kit together use hella ballasts... and again that is what im not sure about..
Old 11-05-2004, 06:12 AM

does the relay have spec labels on it?? If it does then take it off, go down to any store that sells electronic components and they should be able to find you a replacement relay with the same pin layout, voltage/amp ratings. there are tons of electronic components and most have different vendors but do exactly the same thing.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID question (StrikerX)

thats the biggest issue... the relay has no label on it.... thats what is making it SO hard.. thats why i made this post.. the ONLY way im going to get the answer will be if someone who knows exactly what im talking about sees this post..

thanks for all the ideas.. PLEASE keep them coming..
Old 11-05-2004, 06:36 AM

true I feel you on that. Another way to do is to measure the input voltages but that can be a hassle if you not familiar with electronics. or maybe hella can give you the specs. I know I have to do that alot here at work. lotta old obselete parts come in and well company rather rig then scrap $500 boards. Then again schematics and wire drawings are hard to come by. Good luck on getting what you need.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:02 AM

Default Re: HID question (StrikerX)

u can probably pic them up at kragen or autozone. last time i check autozone had them...its near the foglight section. the relay was made by PILOT and it was like 7 bucks per relay. thats if the one u need. POST pic of the relay and i might be able to help u out
Old 11-05-2004, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID question (xTurtle714x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xTurtle714x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u can probably pic them up at kragen or autozone. last time i check autozone had them...its near the foglight section. the relay was made by PILOT and it was like 7 bucks per relay. thats if the one u need. POST pic of the relay and i might be able to help u out</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you VERY much.. ill take a look at that.. ill try to post some pics later

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StrikerX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">true I feel you on that. Another way to do is to measure the input voltages but that can be a hassle if you not familiar with electronics. or maybe hella can give you the specs. I know I have to do that alot here at work. lotta old obselete parts come in and well company rather rig then scrap $500 boards. Then again schematics and wire drawings are hard to come by. Good luck on getting what you need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i have no idea how to do that.. lol but again thanks for the ideas
Old 11-05-2004, 08:10 AM
jbs
Honda-Tech Member

Most likely, it is a double throw (5 spades) 30A relay. Autozone/Pepboys should have them.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oc_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not to be a dick.. but i already apologized for the threads placement.. im not some stupid ******* noob, ive been on this site for quite some time.. i dont post much... but im on it alot...

you really didn't answer my question.. i OBVIOUSLY know that someone sells them.. and i OBVIOUSLY know you can buy them somewhere.. the thread is to find out how the hell to figure out which one i need.... im sure if i walk into advanced auto and show it to them.. they will say "ok let me look it up in the computer.. what car is it for" and at that point i will instantly get nowhere... i do however APPRECIATE your ATEMPT to help.. i just need to know how i know what relay to buy,,, if you have any more info.. PLEASE share it...

if its an enormous issue the mods will move the thread...

thanks.. again..</TD></TR></TABLE>

your question was to figure out where to buy replacements and i told you....you should have decribed your problem better if you wanted a better response. you never said if your problem was in your stock honda harness or in your catz harness either....if you want help just ask the right questions and decribe your problem well b4 you get all defensive about someones "obvious" solutions to your problem!!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95cxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

your question was to figure out where to buy replacements and i told you....you should have decribed your problem better if you wanted a better response.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i will not disagree with that..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95cxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> you never said if your problem was in your stock honda harness or in your catz harness either</TD></TR></TABLE>

reading owns you..<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oc_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i have a hella hid kit and just burnt out one of the small black relays in the harness </TD></TR></TABLE>

thought i described it pretty well..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95cxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you want help just ask the right questions and decribe your problem well b4 you get all defensive about someones "obvious" solutions to your problem!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

again.. the small black relay attached to the Hella harness is burnt out.. i need a new one.. if you can help great..

again NOT going to have some ethug battle with.. i appreciate the help you gave.. if you have anything more to offer now knowing more about the issue.. by all means post.. if not.. thanks anyway
Old 11-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yah i am not trying to be ajerk either, just trying to help a fellow HID man.....i am just tryingto make sure thats other ppl know that this is the part you are talking about in the pic...the 2 black relays!!!!????...that is what your having trouble with right??

i just went outside and took this.....sorry for the dirty engine bay....it is full out winter up here now....salt and all that ****

good luck!!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 09:52 AM

i have H I D s too! hehehe, but i have xenon and their kit has no external relays.....
Old 11-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID question (retarded)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by retarded &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have H I D s too! hehehe, but i have xenon and their kit has no external relays..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a full OEM AUDI TT setup (ballasts, bulbs, projectors) all retro'ed into civic balck projector housings....and if you wanna make them run properly you should use a custom wire harness like the one i made up....this way you never have to worry about ruining/melting your stock honda harness
Old 11-05-2004, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you rock.. i dont have the relay in front of me.. but yeah... it basicly looks EXACTLY like that.. no markings or anything..

edit.. if i THINK thats it...and it physically fits.. what is the worst damage that could occur by it beign wrong..?

Modified by oc_civic at 11:48 AM 11/5/2004
Old 11-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oc_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you rock.. i dont have the relay in front of me.. but yeah... it basicly looks EXACTLY like that.. no markings or anything..

edit.. if i THINK thats it...and it physically fits.. what is the worst damage that could occur by it beign wrong..?

Modified by oc_civic at 11:48 AM 11/5/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

i am not too sure of the type of damage you could cause......your best bet would be to unclip your "bad" relay(s) and bring it or them with you to an automotive/electrical shop.....i would say that they will knwo what the amperage of it is and whatnot!!...even if you you have to replace them all to be on the safe side it won't be too expensive
Old 11-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i totaly take back what i said about advanced auto.. i went there tonight and they busted out this HUGE book to figure it out for me.. and they found it! fit perfect.. common instock part.. 15 bucks!!! ill post the part number later in an edit.. in case someone ever needs it..
Old 11-06-2004, 01:11 PM

first off the xenon kit that i have is very efficient hardly generates any heat, nothing is going to burn up, and if it does... which it wont. i have a full coverage two year warranty. I could have done the same thing as you did, but i wanted the xenon kit because the color and brightness is much superior to any stock audi application.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID question (retarded)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by retarded &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.............., but i wanted the xenon kit because the color and brightness is much superior to any stock audi application. </TD></TR></TABLE>

your name seems to suit you quite well because you're an HID moron!!!!!.............try searching for "THE HID THREAD" by ill_take_one...you may just learn something about the fuction of HID's.

and glad to see you got your part oc_civic
Old 11-10-2004, 09:22 AM

yes please tell me the function of H I D s because i forgot? Please inform me oh wise one....yeah right !!!