Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HID projectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID projectors

SpitzKraft sells bolt-in units for a number of different cars, and brags about their DOT compliance and water resistance, etc but I wanted to see for myself. The projector units are modular and pretty much the same in all their round and square sealed-beam replacements, regardless of size. They use Philips bulbs and ballasts (not shown) and do have composite kits made for '92-'95 Hondas, but these particular ones had a 7" round shroud.

Anyhow, to the pics:

I first took the main shroud off to see what just the projector was like. Here it is next to a DVD for size comparison (no cracks about the movie - I happen to think its hilarious).

Note that everything is sealed plastic, from the D1S base cover to the glass projector lens retainer:

The shroud was attached with 4 screws - each of the screw holes has a brass insert for threads (as opposed to threaded plastic holes, in which its far easier to strip the threads):

The outer lens on the shroud is clearly marked with DOT compliance, and HG to indicate it's meant to contain an HID projector:

The grey cap on top is a vent to allow heated air out of the shroud while maintaining a water resistant seal. In this shot you can see (from left to right) the plastic cap that encloses the D1S bulb, the projector body, the electronics sealed in the black box mounted along the bottom of the body, the shroud bezel with grey vent cap, the spacer ring, the metal retainer ring (with O-ring gasket inside, not shown), and the clear (non-fresneled) projector lens.

a front view of the assembly, minus the shroud:

I took off the metal lens retainer, and here I'm removing the O-ring gasket that keeps water out of the front of the projector (the back has a plastic cap, as seen in the pics above):

Here's looking into the projector with the lens and spacer ring removed. This is a bi-xenon unit, and you can see the simple vertical solenoid that pushes up the step-pattern shield for low beam (remember, the beam flips upside down while passing through the lens):

and from the side:

Old 04-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i take it you will be installing these?

how much they go for?

and i want to see them installed!!! with a cutoff...
Old 04-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94hatchling)

WOWOWOWOW
Old 04-19-2006, 09:47 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (lazybrown187)

Where did you get these?

I can find a user named SpitzKraft.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID projectors (manntis)

So you just buy it and bolt it in without modifications?
Old 04-19-2006, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_Ej)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where did you get these?

I can find a user named SpitzKraft.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I thought it was a member too until I googled it.

http://www.spitzkraft.com/
Old 04-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID projectors (99FBPSi)

yeah, it's plugand-play. You have to mount the ballast somewhere, but all the wiring just clicks together and plugs into the stock harness, and the light assemblies just bolt in at the same points as OEM, making it look stock.

http://www.spitzkraft.com Email them before you buy, though, as they'll probably give you a group-buy price.

I helped with their website which is how I heard of them, but doing some coding for someone doesn't automatically mean their projectors are any good - I had to take one apart and see for myself how long the components should last, what the water resistance was like, etc.

I did that as a kid, too - drove my mom nuts taking apart a Sony Walkman vs. a cheap clone. I've seen a lot of retrofits but I like that these not only come with DOT compliance cards but have the proper DOT info on the front lens, including the 'HG' which lets the po-po know the housing is supposed to have HID in it, and it's not just an ebay platic housing with an HID projector kit-bashed in

Modified by manntis at 1:05 PM 4/20/2006
Old 04-20-2006, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

install them fast and give us a review.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get soem pics of it while you're installing for a DIY. Also how much did it cost you and which kit is it on their website?
Old 04-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The one that bolts into a '92-'95 civic is http://www.spitzkraft.com/deta...ow=11

I paid $799 including shipping, duty, etc. as a group-buy price
Old 04-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (manntis)

they are buying TYC headlights, xenondepot.com wiring harnesses and then they are retroing HID's into them and seling them, from what I can tell fromt he pictures.

I did my own retro into TYC headlights with EURO GOLV IV HID's.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike1114)

Nope - xenondepot is also buying them from the same makers, ACA Performance in Ontario. The housings are made by TYC for ACA's HID projcetors, just like TYC makes OEM lights for Ford that Ford then bolts into their cars @ the factory. TYC is a huge company that works for a lot of OEM/OES/Aftermarket companies, not just an aftermarket halogen maker