Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HID ---projector or factory headlights????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID ---projector or factory headlights????

I have the opputrtunity to order a Hid system made by streetglow for $275 and was wondering if this is a fair price. Would they work better ina n ebay projector housing or the factory headlight housing for 2000 civic. THen what hid bulbs would i run for the two. I believe the projector takes h3 or h1 or just us ethe factory size bulb for the factory housing.
Thanks for all info trying to order this weekend so any info is appreciated.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID ---projector or factory headlights???? (nick2kcivic)

is HID even really worth the money...or Will I be hassle by police
Old 09-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had HID's on my 00 Si for over a month now (stock housings) and haven't been hassled or high beamed once. The increased visability kicks ***! Just remember to properly align them.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:16 PM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: HID ---projector or factory headlights???? (-CivicTuner-)

Well.. That seems to be a good price.

As for your question on halogen or projector headlights:

1. Using halogen headlights will NOT use the HID's to their utmost capabilities. The light will be scattered all over and there will be horrible "hot" spots. I know because I have HID's in my stock housings right now. This problem will also result in you blinding the **** out of all on coming drivers UNLESS you aim the HID's all the way down as far as the headlights will allow you to aim them.

2. If you get projectors(say denji) you will have better results IF you put work into it. You can't just get projectors and throw some H4 HIDs in them and expect good results. There are a few different methods you can use to produce awesome results. The number 1 way to produce the best results is to do a retrofit. What is a retrofit you say? It's when you take OEM projectors(say from an S2000) and replace the crappy foglight projector in the denji's with the awesome OEM Projector from the S2000. This will result in the BEST possible results. This is also a lot more expensive. 2nd option is this: You can use the denji's as they come, but you have to get the bubble in the HID bulb exactly where the bubble in the H3 bulb is. To do this you use heat resistant Washers. Here is a website that discusses how to do it: http://www.geocities.com/jvxdr...n.htm

My advice is DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. Yes, HIDs in stock halogen housing is 100 times better than regular halogen bulbs, but it's not good for oncoming trafic, and it does not use the HID's to their utmost capabilities. Do it right or don't do it at all..
Old 09-26-2003, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID ---projector or factory headlights???? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

i replace the h3 bulb with the h4...so i take it I have to modufy the housing to do so> Hid are usually only low beam correct? or would the kits control high and lows. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use your stock housings with H4 HID kit. DO NOT USE the HID kit in an aftermarket projector headlamp...It is soo horrible.

Best setup is CTR headlamp with HID kit. My friend has them and bright as hell!
Old 09-26-2003, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID ---projector or factory headlights???? (ZRD OWNS ME)

Well....

If you use HID's in your stock housings, they will be bright, but blind the hell out of everyone else...

There is NO point in putting HID's in those aftermarket projectors. Those projectors suck and the lighting will not be much different than if there were a halogen bulb.

Having said that, the best bet is to use actual HID projectors...
Old 09-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID ---projector or factory headlights???? (FuZioNxMaxBoost)

1st choice: Bi-Xenon (Hi/Lo) D2S HID Projector retrofit

2nd choice: Any D2S HID projector retrofit

3rd choice: CTR or any Japan spec (H4H bulb) headlights using a D2R HID system retrofit

4th choice: Stock bulbs!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:39 PM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: HID ---projector or factory headlights???? (FuZioNxMaxBoost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FuZioNxMaxBoost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well....
There is NO point in putting HID's in those aftermarket projectors. Those projectors suck and the lighting will not be much different than if there were a halogen bulb.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, when done right, it does produce much better lighting. You can't just stick some HID's into some projectors and expect it to be some awesome ****.. It takes time and effort. I know because I have been in the process of doing this for some time now, and I am still not done because I am trying to find the best way possible to do it.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID ---projector or factory headlights???? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually, when done right, it does produce much better lighting. You can't just stick some HID's into some projectors and expect it to be some awesome ****.. It takes time and effort. I know because I have been in the process of doing this for some time now, and I am still not done because I am trying to find the best way possible to do it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

From my experience, any of those projectors in those "Denji, TYC, APC, etc' are crap. The design is extremely poor. Even though they are made for Halogen bulbs, they don't even produce good lighting with Halogens.

No matter how much 'time and effort' you put on those projectors, they still will not change. You might be wasting time and money (as I have) on those cheap projectors.

Not exactly sure how much experience with projectors you have, but

I have tried 3 different H3 projectors (the ones from projector headlights) and none have given any better lighting over even halogen. I then went to take out those projectors and replaced them with TRUE HID projectors from BMW (as many have done). So I think it's better to use a projector that was designed for HID's...