Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HID installation.. aftermath

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID installation.. aftermath

i just helped my buddy install HID's for his car. 4300k its some japanese brand that uses the phillips ballast. anyhow.. the way the lights shoot out is weird.. it has some bright streaks and some light ones. he has some cheapy black housing lights with a violet tint on the headlights. he has a 2000 civic sedan. is it just the headlights thats causing the problem??

Old 10-17-2002, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (aznmc16)

damn, that looks real bad, maybe they need adjusting.
Old 10-17-2002, 09:56 PM

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (VTEC VX)

i think its the cheapy headlights.. imma tell his *** to get a a brand new better set.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (VTEC VX)

its probably the headlights.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason for the scatter is not necessarily because of the cheapy headlights, but because of the headlight housing. The 96-00 civics seem to have the worst headlight housings for HID. The light scatters a lot. In order to get a more focused beam, you would need to get projectors, like all cars that come with factory HID's.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:48 PM

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (Project CTR)

the hid h4 blub had a lil top cover thing. it would cover the top part of the lights and leave the bottom. would the lights be better if this top cover part was to be taking off??

also.. i heard with projecter headlights.. your supposed to use different types of blubs.. d2r or d2s?? can somebody please explain??
Old 10-18-2002, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK

black housing lights with a violet tint on the headlights. ??

Black housed 99-00 Honda civic headlamps with ion-blue tint Not many people like those, I enjoy them though. I believe they probably do reduce light slightly because when I had my stock lights friend's always complained about me being behind them, since changing I haven't heard any complaints, nor have I noticed much of a difference in lighting. I do need to adjust my headlamps though.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (SHAUNTS99)

its the civic headlights.. civics have the worst headlights when it comes to light output.. there is no even spread of light.. its all hot spots and stray beams.. no matter what he does, they will look crappy on the ground..

if he does get the projectors, he might have a little more luck with the beam patterns.. BUT, he will need D2S bulbs.. or he can just be brave and scrape off the black coated shielding on the bulb..

D2R bulbs have a black coated shield on the bulb to block light for reflector housings..

D2S bulbs are clear all around, for projector housings, since projector housings already have a shield in the housing..

we stayed up all night tonight trying to modify some HID bulbs to fit my friends Denji projectors, but we didnt have washers and things..so we gave up.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:09 AM

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (MTK Kommander)

apparently the best way to put HID on a civic is to get some projector housings, then replace the projector lamp with the lamp from a car that has OEM hid projectors such as the S2000 or an Audi A4/A6. It costs more and requires some custom work, but you can get perfect results this way.

here's some "illuminating" links on HID (<--- sorry )
http://home.earthlink.net/~pliepl/_wsn/page4.html
http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/headlight-menu1.htm
Old 10-22-2002, 10:00 AM
New User

ProjectCTR--Not all cars that come with factory HID's use projector headlight housings...Take the Acura TL for example. 96-00 Civic Headlights aren't the best for HID's, they spread quite a bit so it doesn't shine all that far in front, but more of an area effect. I'm almost positive that a projector would help the light output reach out in front more than stock.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (VoltageLS)

ProjectCTR--Not all cars that come with factory HID's use projector headlight housings...Take the Acura TL for example. 96-00 Civic Headlights aren't the best for HID's, they spread quite a bit so it doesn't shine all that far in front, but more of an area effect. I'm almost positive that a projector would help the light output reach out in front more than stock.
oops sorry, i didn't know thanks for the correction, just that i assumed that they came with projectors, because all the stock HID's my friends have, they also have projectors. i got HELLA H4 HID's on my 99 civic, and the light scatters quite a bit. in the future, i want to somehow custom a set of s2000 or s4 projectors into the housing. i want that distinct cutoff line. but that will be in the distant future...
Old 10-22-2002, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (Rezon)

apparently the best way to put HID on a civic is to get some projector housings, then replace the projector lamp with the lamp from a car that has OEM hid projectors such as the S2000 or an Audi A4/A6. It costs more and requires some custom work, but you can get perfect results this way.

here's some "illuminating" links on HID (<--- sorry )
http://home.earthlink.net/~pliepl/_wsn/page4.html
http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/headlight-menu1.htm
ive always wanted to do that.. but i never had the *****.. man..that guy did lexus reflector lens conversions and S4 projector conversions.. that is DOPE.. nothing shines like OEM HID optics.. i would love to shake that mans hand..
Old 10-22-2002, 04:09 PM

The TL may not have a true projector style housing but the way the headlight is constructed the low beam which are HID's come in a more compact housing than lets say a civic's housing which compresses the source of light more, which are the same concept as projector housings.thats what I have in my TL-S.

[Modified by SioneSi, 5:11 PM 10/22/2002]
Old 10-22-2002, 05:46 PM

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (SioneSi)

I believe it is really a matter of each particular vehicles headlight housing and the angles or reflection/delflection whithin it. I have the complete Acura TL HID setup in my car (93' Si) and the light distribution is not the best. It is blochy and has spots of great intensity and some that are dimmer. It is still significantly brighter on the road than the PIAA Xteme White's I had in there.

My friend has projector lights on his 95' Civic Ex and also used the same HID kit (Acura TL). From the outside of the vehicle it is completely unnoticeable that he has HID's in it. This REALLY surprised us! From a driving viewpoint though their benifit can be seen as they illuminate the road much better than the stock bulbs and the dispersion pattern is much smoother than on my stock headlight housings.

I'm not sure how, but various headlight housing configurations will also play a role in the color seen from the HID (from Acura TL ones at least and I'm assuming all others). Myself and three friends all used the same exact, brand new kit in our cars. The cars are:

1993 Civic Si (mine)
1995 Civic Ex (with aftermarket projectors)
1995 Nissan 240sx
2001 Honda Prelude

They all appear blue when "warming up" but they differ considerably once warm. Mine appear bright white with maybe the absolute slightest bit of blue. The Civic with projectors appear just white and look no different than the stock bulbs (from outside the vehicle). The 240sx's appear VERY blue. They have the same shade of blue as seen when on the TL. The Prelude's also appear as do mine....very white with a very slight hint of blue.

* Note if installing HID's. (At least on the Acura TL ones and I'm assuming it is the same for all HID bulbs.) There is a top and a bottom to the bulb. There is a deflector-type structure within it and depending on how you orient the bulb you will get a slightly differnt beam pattern.

Wish I had some pics of me and my friends lights and the install, etc but I have not got around to borrowing a digi-cam.

[Modified by ck279, 2:49 AM 10/23/2002]
Old 10-25-2002, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (ck279)

whats the name on the kit he bought?
i've been thru 4 sets of hid's now and i know a lil something...
does his kit have the "metal caps" on the bulb so that it focuses the beam
pattern better.. heres a pic of my car with it's first set of hids.. which was
OSRAM/PHILLIPS 4,300k off a 3series(all OEM GERMAN MADE)

this pic is old
heres a newer pic still old but i transferred my hids to my friends ek and i got new ones... heres some comparisons.,. ask ur friend what he wants in hids, like which one does he like?

Old 10-25-2002, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (ck279)

oh yea.. remember that the pix i posted up are a lil "bent" like the pix makes the hid's show a lil MORE blue.. in real life its less blue in tint.. all pix i showed at least...
Old 10-25-2002, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe he should try for the 6k, heard those are lovely.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (BaTTLeWaGoN)

wow....that's one gorgeous CRV you got there buddy, minus the tails
Old 10-25-2002, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (SpoonFedHatch)

i sold the tails on ebay a few months ago.. the tails weren't all clear.. there were red/clear.. they were pretty nice quality.. but i came to realize i was turning into a blue si more and more LOL.. i slanged them on ebay.. and then got some honda sidemarkers.. i dink they're off a ef.. its not a jdm sidemarker.. but i like it... thats back in april(the tails) heres the battlewagon now:

any suggestions on rims? people say 18's but my car is slow.. 18's will make it slower.. u dink 17's is ok?
Old 10-25-2002, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen your car for the past 2 or so years I've been at H-T, and that's the best CR-V i've ever seen.

I'd say 18's and a Turbo, or 17's and CR-Vtec.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (Eddie HatchBlack)

I've seen your car for the past 2 or so years I've been at H-T, and that's the best CR-V i've ever seen.

I'd say 18's and a Turbo, or 17's and CR-Vtec.
agrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2002, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd invest in some 17" volk GTN's in bronze/gunmetal (nice lil' polished lip).....yeah that'd be sick.....then go CR-VTEC and make some top end POWER! ...btw....since you dont have beam patterned lenses, i'd suggest going black housing on the headlights to compliment the blue/black scheme, i really dig that CRV though man...
Old 10-25-2002, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID installation.. aftermath (SpoonFedHatch)

thanksman! im scared its gonna be ricey.... u know OEM headlights the way they come from HONDA works the best best btest... painting it risks messing it up... i dont wanna waste my headlights.. i drive a crv.. not a civic.. i can';t just pick some headlights off recycler for like 50 bucks u know? ill have to go junk yards to find one IF they have a crv... let me know if u find a set of cr-v headlights for cheap.. im down to try.. i wanted to do it gunmetal chrome if i can find that paint... make it ctr like u know.. oh yea... if u're interested in hid's let me know.. i can get a great price on them.. i can always put them on ebay and have it BUY IT NOW and let u click it and work it out..

as for volks.. i was gonna get gunmetal le37's.. in 17s what do u think?

[Modified by BaTTLeWaGoN, 12:04 PM 10/25/2002]
Old 10-25-2002, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have Phlips Blue coated D2S bulb with a shield in my stock housing. The beam pattern is not too bad but could be better with some projectors.
I think aiming the bulb is very imporant. I made my dad to drive his van to back of a plaza at night, lined up with my car facing the wall, and set my headlights same as his.

[Modified by EL'ation, 3:11 PM 10/25/2002]
Old 10-25-2002, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i've always been partial to GTNs because they're awesome, but are pricey....i've done like 50million black housing projects, and you really wont **** up honda's intended light output if you paint the OUTER chrome (not the inner reflective patterned chrome), and since you have bright *** HID's it wont matter (you're lighting up STADIUMS bro) hah.....but yeah i have an EG and i dont think HID's would suit the stock headlights too well considering i dont have (or want) projectors ....thanks anyways BTW....is yours REALTIME 4WD or front?