Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hid help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hid help Please

I have a Hella Hid conversion kit thats supposed to be plug and play, the new bulb just fits into the H4 socket and the power comes from your stock plug. When i turned the lights on it blew the fuse. Thinking it may be the bulbs, I hooked it up to a old truck that has like a 30 amp fuse and it worked fine.

Can i just put a 15 amp fuse and try again, or would putting a relay be a much better idea?

(93 civic; only is supposed to have a 10 amp fuse)
Old 03-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hid help Please (kuja396)

HIDs take a lot of amps initially to heat up.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hid help Please (old man neri)

Is 15 amps enough (per bulb) to heat up?
Is this dangerous to my stock harness or switch? I'd rather not have to run more wire, but its a lot better then messing up my electrical system for sure
Old 03-03-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You need atleast 30 amp fuse to start up. and you need to run a harness too.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hid help Please (Caveman74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Caveman74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need atleast 30 amp fuse to start up. and you need to run a harness too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, and you will need your driver's licence and proof of insurance for when the cop pulls you over the first night out. (Horrible illegal glare)
Old 03-03-2006, 06:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh, and you will need your driver's licence and proof of insurance for when the cop pulls you over the first night out. (Horrible illegal glare)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree, I see clean Honda all the time (mostly Civic) wit hstock headlights with HIDs in them and the light is everywhere but the road. Even worse in fog. Get some projectors and get the full benifit of HIDs. My .02 cents
Old 03-04-2006, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hid help Please (eXcelonTypeR)

I know what you mean about the glare, I hear people talk about it anyways.

Can I use the bulbs I already have with projectors? Or am i going to need new bulbs that are designed to work with projectors?
Old 03-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

search on HID retrofits. This has been covered to death. Someone on here actually will do the retrofit for you if you give him somemoney. As for your specific answers I am not to sure. I would just search in one of the many DIY
Old 03-04-2006, 08:40 AM

get a casper shield,lower ure alignment and u'll be fine..no need to do a retrofit unless u have the time..but u do need 20a fuses..
Old 03-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hid help Please (da_rimrocka)

I looked up the casper shield, and mine already have them. Everything looks very similar to the setup this guy sold https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1545928 . Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just hooked up my hids and used a 30 amp fuse had them for two weeks and no problems. there awesome.
Old 03-04-2006, 02:05 PM
EckoTech

Default Re: Hid help Please (pynikal)

Bump for living in states where cops are total dicks.. I've had HIDs on my bike and my hatch, and don't get **** for them anywhere. Gotta love Florida, no laws here!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hid help Please (EckoTech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EckoTech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bump for living in states where cops are total dicks.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They are not being dicks, they are enforcing the law which your democratically elected government has written. Also HIDs that are thrown in have horrible glare and blind other drivers, it's a safety hazzard. If you have proper retrofit good for you, if you just threw some HIDs in and are blinding everyone shame on you.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:37 PM
EckoTech

ko ok ok...bump for states with terrible laws.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wired them up today and one was a lot brighter than the other, when i looked into the headlight itself I found that one of the headlights has a shield inside, the other one does not (different headlights). Again to clairfy, the bulbs have thier own shields, the headlight shield I'm talking about is in the headlight houseing itself.

For those that have had this type of setup (HID to H4), Do you have this shield inside of your headlight or not?

Again I will referr to https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1545928 for what my setup looks like if you missed the post
Old 03-04-2006, 07:55 PM
EckoTech

yeah man i just checked, I have the shields...
Old 03-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine have the sheilds as well. no glare at all.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

casper shield?...where to buy? any pics of a car with them on?
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 AM
EckoTech

Default Re: Hid help Please (futurefastguy)

i'll get some up this week, I have crazy mid-terms coming up, so hopefully saturday I can take some pics.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my hids came with the sheilds
Old 03-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is what you do...first you need to get a relay. Now get a multi meter and find the wire the activates the lights. It will most likely have a constant ground and a wire that switches to positive when the lights come on. So now take your relay and give a constant ground to pin 85 if the wire switches as positive and then hook up with wire that activates the headlights to pin 86. Then run a power lead from the battery to pin 87 on the relay. Be sure to fuse this wire near the battery around 30 amps or so to be safe incase it ever gets cut by accident and shorts out. Then run a wire from pin 30 on the relay to the positive connection on your ballast. Should stop any fuse blowing issues since you are using the once low current wire that activated the headlights and switching it to power off the battery.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Hid help Please (Blazin Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blazin Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> here is what you do...first you need to get a relay. Now get a multi meter and find the wire the activates the lights. It will most likely have a constant ground and a wire that switches to positive when the lights come on. So now take your relay and give a constant ground to pin 85 if the wire switches as positive and then hook up with wire that activates the headlights to pin 86. Then run a power lead from the battery to pin 87 on the relay. Be sure to fuse this wire near the battery around 30 amps or so to be safe incase it ever gets cut by accident and shorts out. Then run a wire from pin 30 on the relay to the positive connection on your ballast. Should stop any fuse blowing issues since you are using the once low current wire that activated the headlights and switching it to power off the battery.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could that be used to increase light output on stock headlights as well since voltage is coming from the battery instead of the wire harness??
Old 03-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eXcelonTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Could that be used to increase light output on stock headlights as well since voltage is coming from the battery instead of the wire harness??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not by much seeing as your wires shouldn't have much resistance.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Relays are always good, but if the fuse works, then it works. Try the fuse, if it doesnt work the nyou're only out a few pennies for a new one.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eXcelonTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Could that be used to increase light output on stock headlights as well since voltage is coming from the battery instead of the wire harness??</TD></TR></TABLE>
I honestly wouldn't bother. Yes you could and run a higher wattage bulb but you might not get to much out of it. If you don't give a expletive what anyone else thinks you can't beat a cheap HID kit and some shields. Wont be the best HID light but hey...it will be more light on the road for you.

Quick Reply: Hid help Please