Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HID Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Help

Ok guys. I've looked far and wide, called shops, went to the junkyard, etc. So I turn to the honda-tech gods for help. Check it, I got an HID kit. you know, bulb, ballasts, etc. Here's the thing, after three weeks, the driver side light suddenly goes out. Turns out the wiring to the bulb and ballasts were too close to the timing belt, so the belt chewed on the wires enough to expose the copper. I don't know how, but the friction burned out the socket where the bulb connects to (H4 socket). The thing was charred. Anyway, went to the junkyard to get a new socket, hooked up the wires, put some electrical tape on it in hopes of it working and.....no dice! But, if I put the high beams on, it works. Low beams don't work. Now I'm trying not to resort to going to a shop, cause i'm broke, but any ideas on why the low beam doesn't work? thanks y'all.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HID Help (DjTripp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DjTripp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok guys. I've looked far and wide, called shops, went to the junkyard, etc. So I turn to the honda-tech gods for help. Check it, I got an HID kit. you know, bulb, ballasts, etc. Here's the thing, after three weeks, the driver side light suddenly goes out. Turns out the wiring to the bulb and ballasts were too close to the timing belt, so the belt chewed on the wires enough to expose the copper. I don't know how, but the friction burned out the socket where the bulb connects to (H4 socket). The thing was charred. Anyway, went to the junkyard to get a new socket, hooked up the wires, put some electrical tape on it in hopes of it working and.....no dice! But, if I put the high beams on, it works. Low beams don't work. Now I'm trying not to resort to going to a shop, cause i'm broke, but any ideas on why the low beam doesn't work? thanks y'all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you look at the low beam fuse? Since the wires were exposed, there's a slight chance the positive and the negative made contact thus possibly blowing the low beam fuse.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:26 PM

Default Re: HID Help (saxqtzk)

Yes I did. I even tried my old halogens, my xenon filled bulbs, and tried my friend's h4 bulb. Any other ideas?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to be a dick.

But you just got owned by your own mistake.

HID ballast can draw up to 30amps on warm up. and they can pull a steady 15amps during normal use.

Your stock wiring. 20 gauge. is 12.3 amps max!!

So everytime you turn on your HID's your killing your harness. And your cars wiring has had some serious use already it cant handle the extra current.

So now you have to go buy a new harness for your headlight and re run the wires to your headlight
Old 04-04-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

****. Thanks, guess I had to learn the hard way. So is it pointless to get HIDs for my car?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:08 PM

alot of people run HID's in there cars. but in order to run HID's you need to run a seperate wiring harness that is capable of handling the power for the HID's`

Search my archived topics in the forum i made a write up on how to make your own harness.

Usually i would dog you for a HID kit but ive given up and let people do what that they want.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cant you just run a relay, to power the HID's? so that thepower that is drawn is not dependent on the factory wireing?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:11 PM

Yup you can.. BTW here's my write up

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1118436
Old 04-04-2005, 11:44 PM

Thanks.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DjTripp)

wait! You had it hooked directly to the stock harness without relays or fuses?

Build that hid harness asap and make sure there isn't any other kind of damage to your stock bulb harness.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:35 AM

too late his harness is fried. those HID kits over draw power. i tested one before and i tested the line and it pulled an amazing 43 amps on warm up. and can pull a steady 18-20 amps during use.

OEM hid only pulls 33 max on warm up. and 14 amps during regular use.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't imagine splicing the stock wiring to install the ballast... it could have been a lot worse than just a fried harness.

Yeah I know about the wattage spikes, you can clearly see it during warmup.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:40 AM

he's a prime example of people who lack research before doing something.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he's a prime example of people who lack research before doing something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

in case someone plans on installing hid's and have no idea what you're doing:

http://www.hidplanet.com
Old 04-06-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: (saxqtzk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he's a prime example of people who lack research before doing something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the guy I bought it from told me it'd be fine. He had his on for about a year with no problems. So yeah, I guess that's my fault for just taking his word for it. I'm actually not mad at the flaming; I deserve it and I thank you guys. I think I just won't **** with H.I.Ds anymore. Thanks again