Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HID Conversion vs High Output Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID Conversion vs High Output Bulbs

Hey I am in in the market for some better bulbs. I really don't know anything about HID, how much they cost, whats the pros cons are, easy/hard install. etc? I know for a high output bulb like some hyper whites its plug and play, do they suck compared to HIDs? Also I have JDM EG headlights with the curtousy lights. Anyone know what size bulbs go in there and how to wire it up? Also just to get your guys opinions do you think if I get a white bulb that I should also upgrade the curtousy bulb or just leave in the stock bulb?

Thanks,
Jake
Old 11-11-2002, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HID Conversion vs High Output Bulbs (Chiller514)

Hey I am in in the market for some better bulbs. I really don't know anything about HID, how much they cost, whats the pros cons are, easy/hard install. etc? I know for a high output bulb like some hyper whites its plug and play, do they suck compared to HIDs? Also I have JDM EG headlights with the curtousy lights. Anyone know what size bulbs go in there and how to wire it up? Also just to get your guys opinions do you think if I get a white bulb that I should also upgrade the curtousy bulb or just leave in the stock bulb?

Thanks,
Jake
there is no HID kit available in america to fit the H4H socket.. which is what your JDM EG headlights take.. you would have to get some HID bulbs and modify them to fit and maintain the stock focal point..

pros: HID lasts for up to 3000 hours, HID puts out more than 3x the lumens that halogens produce. (HID: 3,200 .. halogen: 1,000)

cons: price & glare

there are ways to cut down on glare..but you'd need to make a shielding device, which isnt hard..but its extra work..

yes HID kits are plug n play

yes "high output" bulbs suck compared to HID..most actually suck compared to stock halogens as well.. because the so called high output bulbs usually have a blue tint on them which cuts down on lumens anyways.. not to mention the high output bulbs are usually like 100W and blow out in a week do to high temperature.. HID burns way cooler than halogen and uses less power.