Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hi, new here, with a question about matinance

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, new here, with a question about matinance

Hi, this seem'd like most appropreiate place to post such a topic.

I've recently just purchased my first car, 96 civic.

It's a little rice out, ebay fart cannon, ebay intake, interior vents and trims are painted blue, etc, I took the intake off, replacing the fart cannon when I find something better, and I bought some vents from someone parting out their car!

Most of my family is mechanicaly challanged, so really no help from them / friends.

Most of my family just takes their cars thru a speedway carwash once a month, but I'd like to keep mine in top shape as much as possible.

My main problem is keeping rust off rims / car. I've noticed a FEW tiny specs of rust on my quarter panels, but I was told they should wash off?

So I wanna know what you guys think are the best things to do when washing a car, what kinds of things do you use? How often do you do it? Etc

Along with my new vents and trim peices, I bought new seats, and floor mats (old ones were really really worn) how do you keep up your interior? armor all here and there? Or do you do something differnt?

And my last question is, I am HORRIBLE at washing my windows, I windex them and wipe them off, and when I'm driving at night, or into the sun its like staring at a brick wall, any suggustions?

Thanks for the help, Will post pictures soon!

Old 10-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Hi, new here, with a question about matinance (corvax90)

For the interior I use something called Aerospace 303 protectant. Everyone has different opinions and preferences.

Re: your rust. That spot is infamous on hondas to rust. It will not just 'wash off'. You can try posting pics to show everyone how bad it is so you can get better informed opinions.

If you are planning on driving this car in the snow/salt you may wish to consider getting the car 'oil sprayed' anually to help prevent rust.

Edit: Forgot about your windows. If it's for the inside try this: windex with newspaper. It seems to always work for me. I am not sure why but it does. You will probably have to go over it a few times and buff it try with the newspaper. It gets rid of all that vinyl fog.

Modified by old man neri at 7:23 PM 10/6/2007
Old 10-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as for the windows, are they pitted at all? you can try buffing the glass with the same stuff used to clear up headlights, but if they are pitted bad, then replace them. yes its costly, but your windows are also 11 years old..
Old 10-06-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: (gsxr1k05)

If the rust is just specs it could be break dust from your breaks. Try cleaning it off but if its actual rust, your screwed. Hondas are known for rust expecially in snowy areas. To keep you interrior clean just use any car interrior cleaner and vaccum alot. Wash your car often to keep chemicals and natural **** off the paint. Good luck
Old 10-06-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: (crxben)

Thanks for advice guys!

The rust is just a few spots, that can't be much bigger then this ----> "O"

Can't find my USB cable to post pix, so I'll have to upload later

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the interior I use something called Aerospace 303 protectant. Everyone has different opinions and preferences.

Re: your rust. That spot is infamous on hondas to rust. It will not just 'wash off'. You can try posting pics to show everyone how bad it is so you can get better informed opinions.

If you are planning on driving this car in the snow/salt you may wish to consider getting the car 'oil sprayed' anually to help prevent rust.

Edit: Forgot about your windows. If it's for the inside try this: windex with newspaper. It seems to always work for me. I am not sure why but it does. You will probably have to go over it a few times and buff it try with the newspaper. It gets rid of all that vinyl fog.

Modified by old man neri at 7:23 PM 10/6/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could you give more detail on the "Oil Spray" ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsxr1k05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as for the windows, are they pitted at all? you can try buffing the glass with the same stuff used to clear up headlights, but if they are pitted bad, then replace them. yes its costly, but your windows are also 11 years old..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure what you mean by "pitted"

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxben &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the rust is just specs it could be break dust from your breaks. Try cleaning it off but if its actual rust, your screwed. Hondas are known for rust expecially in snowy areas. To keep you interrior clean just use any car interrior cleaner and vaccum alot. Wash your car often to keep chemicals and natural **** off the paint. Good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for input, I hope I'm not screwed, this car needs to last through college.

What kinds of cleaner / wax etc do you guys recomend for washing exterior?
Old 10-06-2007, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by pitted i mean little divits on the windws. like you were hit by a sandstorm... mine are like that. you can't see them except at night under the glare of a street light.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: (gsxr1k05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsxr1k05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">by pitted i mean little divits on the windws. like you were hit by a sandstorm... mine are like that. you can't see them except at night under the glare of a street light.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh no, nothing like that, just dirty, like I'm not cleaning good enough.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (corvax90)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by corvax90 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Could you give more detail on the "Oil Spray" ?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.krown.com This is a company that does it, their website explains the process and has an FAQ. Of course this maybe a Canadian thing only. I am not sure on that one.

Essentially they spray the **** out of the underbody and inside panels with an oil substance. It repels salt and water preventing rust, that's the theory at least.

Hope this helps, I don't know what the winters are like where you live so it may not be necessary.