Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hi.

Old 09-08-2001, 06:17 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi.

New to the boards, been researching Civics for a long while. Strongly considering taking a break from my *Only Buy Jeep* phase... I still love tha' cars, got my old one up to 340k Miles before she bit the dust, and my 'new' one is at 238k and running beautifully.

But, they're loud, kinda' plain looking, and not a very comfy ride. So, I'm now wanting a civic. Looking to buy an early 90's Civic, probably hatchback due to my love of Car Stereo. I don't really need top speed, but I'd like enough punch so that I won't be totally embarassed at red lights. Not looking to make real heavy mods to the car.

Pretty much just wanted to say 'Hi', I plan on checking out these boards quite often now. Also wanna hear what you guys think about your civics, and if you have any suggestions about the do's and don'ts of buying a used Civ, lemme know. Looking to spend around 5k.
Old 09-08-2001, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hi. (Avian)

welcome to the board

what civic do you have/ or want to get?
Old 09-08-2001, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welcome!

If you're going to get a civic and not mod it too much, then make sure you pick up the SI model. I'm kicking myself right now for not holding out on an SI because I miss the little things that the lower models don't have. ie. power windows, power mirrors. etc...
Old 09-08-2001, 08:40 AM

Default Re: Hi. (Vtec_INSIDE)

Hey, I've got a jeep too(slow 96 2.0ltr cherokee). My advise is if you want a car with pick-up a 92-95 civic is a good start, but you might want to check out crx's too. I've driven one of the earlier crx si's with a new clutch and it has a lot better pick-up than my '00 civic. Or spend a little extra and get a later model with a dual cam engine.
Old 09-08-2001, 08:51 AM
New User

Default Re: Hi. (maxim_force)

Ah, you poor, deprived child. 4.0L power all the way. Heh.

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm wanting an early 90's Civic, fourth or fifth gen Hatchback. It's gotta be hatchback.

When I said I'm not wanting to do heavy mods, I kinda' meant the difficult weekend-long engine mods. Assuming I get a decent lookin' HB, I'll probably do quite a few Carpet Queen mods such as no backseat, shave a few things, etc. I don't plan on racing. Racing my ol' 2WD Jeep (The 2WD 2-Door Sport models are pretty damn fast. Buncha' displacement in a light car.) will do me for now.

As for the CRX's, I'm kind of looking around at them, but I rarely see one I like. Not sure why, just don't much like the styling. Besides, I think they're a bit small for me. I'm a big boy, 6'2" and 230lbs, and a Civic is a snug, but comfortable fit. Never even been in a CRX, but I'd bet they're smaller. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 09-08-2001, 09:03 AM

Your right, those 4ltr jeeps are pretty damn fast. I ran a newer 4.0 ltr model not too long ago and he had half a car on me almost the whole time!?
Old 09-08-2001, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Hi. (maxim_force)

Welcome to the boards!

If you're looking for a hatch, your best bet will be a 5th gen. (92-95) or a crx. Those have the most availability for parts out there. The crx is a bit smaller than a 5th gen but not a whole lot. I'm about your same size and have a 94 coupe and have test driven a few crx's for a friend (he couldn't drive stick but wanted a car with one to learn). The biggest thing I don't like about the crx is the lack of power steering. If it's a daily driver, it's a pain (imo). With the 5th gen. you can pretty much do whatever you want easily (want more power? anything from drop in filters to new engines pretty much bolt right in).

As far as mods go that are easy, intake, header and exhaust are the most common and if you're decent with a wrench, shouldn't prove to much of a hassle and will give you a bit extra power for fun (10-20 hp depending on what you go with).
Old 09-08-2001, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

one thing you might wanna look at would be a hatch 92-95 that someone already did some work on - like a b18c1 (integra GSR) engine & tranny swap- that would definitely cut out most chances of embarassment at stop lights - those 4.0 jeeps are nice - "theres no replacement for displacement - unless you got VTEC welcome to the board
Old 09-08-2001, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't really need top speed, but I'd like enough punch so that I won't be totally embarassed at red lights. Not looking to make real heavy mods to the car.
Hate to break it to ya bro, but if you just do the normal thing like get an intake, exhuast, and header you will be getting embarassed at stoplights with a civic. Stock and nearly stock they just aren't fast.

4th gen hatch would be cool......I want one of those!

Oh, welcome to the board!

[Modified by HXMan, 1:34 AM 9/9/2001]
Old 09-09-2001, 09:37 AM
New User

Default Re: Hi. (HXMan)

Torque
106 lb-ft @ 5200 rpm (EX, Si)

Weight
Si: 3,270 lbs

0-60 mph (EX)
9.1 secs

If I could get it to eight I'd be happy. Shouldn't be hard, should it?
Old 09-09-2001, 11:17 AM

that seems a bit slow (9.1?). I've got an EX and typically have no problem keeping up with cars in the high 7s to mid 8s. Dunno if mine's a well made one or if I'm just a better driver. I'm pretty sure I've seen lower times in tests though (C&D, R&T, and the rest when it was new). Hmm...interesting