Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hey ht this is about my eh2. My headlights are acting up there is a video

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey ht this is about my eh2. My headlights are acting up there is a video

I have this problem right now my driver side light isn't working it just flickers in the vid i turned the high beems off the hids are thr high beams they are brand new so i know its not that what can it be oo and the cable that comes out from the cabin to the lights when i move it to a certain spot it works i let it go it starts flickering

Pleas dont flame me if i posted wrong i really need help thanks guys!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hey ht this is about my eh2. My headlights are acting up there is a video

Oh and sorry for the low quality vid its a phone camera
Old 12-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Hey ht this is about my eh2. My headlights are acting up there is a video

Swap the ballasts (side to side) and see if it works fine...

What kind of HID's are they? Are you using a relay harness? Have you checked for any loose wires in the headlight harness?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Ya know what it almost seems like the light was going to the beat of the hooobally hooobally music you were listeing to.
Where is the power source tapped into for the ballasts?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Swap the ballasts (side to side) and see if it works fine...

What kind of HID's are they? Are you using a relay harness? Have you checked for any loose wires in the headlight harness?
Will swap sides in the morning. By what type do you meam the brightness there 6k it plugs into were the actual bulb would go. Im not so sure what a relay harness is? I think it might be a loose wire because it sometimes works when i move the wires
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ballast is shot.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dirty19
Ya know what it almost seems like the light was going to the beat of the hooobally hooobally music you were listeing to.
Where is the power source tapped into for the ballasts?
Lol hooooooooballly music. The power is coming from the normal plug it plugs in like the h4 bulb
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
The ballast is shot.
Are you serious there brand new
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by recklessgoon16
Will swap sides in the morning. By what type do you meam the brightness there 6k it plugs into were the actual bulb would go. Im not so sure what a relay harness is? I think it might be a loose wire because it sometimes works when i move the wires
The brand? Swap the ballasts over, if the pass. side does it, you have a failed ballast.

a relay harness takes the power from the battery, and only uses the headlight harness for the signal. (to turn it on/off/high beam.)

The ballast is shot.
This is my suspicion. It's not uncommon for "ebay" kits to come DOA.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The brand? Swap the ballasts over, if the pass. side does it, you have a failed ballast.

a relay harness takes the power from the battery, and only uses the headlight harness for the signal. (to turn it on)

This is my suspicion. It's not uncommon for "ebay" kits to come DOA.
I dont remember the brand i bought them from a motorsports store i will test it out i doubt it though because if i slightly move the headlight harmes it works. But i will swap it to make sure the ballast have a 1 year warranty so if its that im taking both in
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Master Detailer

I dont remember the brand i bought them from a motorsports store i will test it out i doubt it though because if i slightly move the headlight harmes it works. But i will swap it to make sure the ballast have a 1 year warranty so if its that im taking both in
Check the harness for loose/frayed wires.

try not to do with the car on. If there is a loose wire and it's able to ground out you could kill the ballast, or blow a fuse.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Are you serious there brand new
Yes, I'm serious, your driver side ballast is shot. Plus side of them being brand new, you should be able to RMA them and get a replacement.

Generally, with HID PnP kits, if you aren't paying at least $150, you aren't buying quality and should be ready for one to be inop within a year. I know plenty of people use those $30 eBay kits just fine for years, but I also know just as many people with those same kits that have to buy replacement ballasts every 6 months. I bought a high end Phillips kit when I went HID, and never looked back.

Also, for the love of all things holy, get some projectors to retrofit in those housings. HIDs without projectors (especially in Honda housings) offer zero added useful light, cause unwanted glare, and can be dangerous to oncoming traffic.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Master Detailer

HID's being dead right out the box is nothing new. It's actually quite common.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the harness for loose/frayed wires.

try not to do with the car on. If there is a loose wire and it's able to ground out you could kill the ballast, or blow a fuse.
Okay i will how do i know if a wire is fryed though?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Master Detailer

You should be able to tell just by looking at it, the covering will be melted.

If you're unsure about something, post a picture of it and we'll do our best to help you.
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I'm serious, your driver side ballast is shot. Plus side of them being brand new, you should be able to RMA them and get a replacement.

Generally, with HID PnP kits, if you aren't paying at least $150, you aren't buying quality and should be ready for one to be inop within a year. I know plenty of people use those $30 eBay kits just fine for years, but I also know just as many people with those same kits that have to buy replacement ballasts every 6 months. I bought a high end Phillips kit when I went HID, and never looked back.

Also, for the love of all things holy, get some projectors to retrofit in those housings. HIDs without projectors (especially in Honda housings) offer zero added useful light, cause unwanted glare, and can be dangerous to oncoming traffic.
Really ugh! Ill check them if they work and i will ****** take them too the store if they dont work i will consider the quality ones and the projector but i payed $55 for this kit
B*a*n*n*e*d

frayed != fried. Frayed wires are easy to find just by running your fingers the length of the wire. Fried wires are also fairly easy to find with a close visual inspection, but if you're running proper fuses for your lines, they won't happen.

Chances are, with a cheap PnP kit, you aren't running correct fuses, though.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You should be able to tell just by looking at it. If you're unsure about something, post a picture of it and we'll do our best to help you.
Alright man thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

frayed != fried. Frayed wires are easy to find just by running your fingers the length of the wire. Fried wires are also fairly easy to find with a close visual inspection, but if you're running proper fuses for your lines, they won't happen.

Chances are, with a cheap PnP kit, you aren't running correct fuses, though.
Thanks man will check this out after school tomarow!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Didnt I tell you to dump those hooobally hooobally beat flashing lights? LOL
They are illegal in a car that didnt come with them from the factory.

Go to your room Cesar
Old 12-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Swapped the ballast sides and got the same thing
Old 12-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Btw the light that is on, on the driver side is a daytime running light
Old 12-08-2012, 04:43 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Swap the bulbs. This is basic troubleshooting.

And this isn't really a Honda/Civic issue.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Swap the bulbs. This is basic troubleshooting.

And this isn't really a Honda/Civic issue.
I will do this tomarow. I posted this here because ive heard its a common issue with the eh/eg chassis and i wanted to see what fellow eg/eh drivers would think.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:17 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will do this tomarow. I posted this here because ive heard its a common issue with the eh/eg chassis and i wanted to see what fellow eg/eh drivers would think.
Er no. It's a cheap HID kit issue.

Quick Reply: Hey ht this is about my eh2. My headlights are acting up there is a video