Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hey everyone I need your opinion , im new here.3rd gear grinds in high rev ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Hey everyone I need your opinion , im new here.3rd gear grinds in high rev ???

I have a 98 civic ,

My problem is that when I am at a high RPM going in to 3rd gear it grinds.I dont have this problem with any other gear nore does it happen to often . If im getting up to speed quick I gotta let go of the gas for a little b4 I shift to 3rd or it will grind, But if im driveing normal its completely fine it doesent grid at all only when im in a high rev pritty much and only 3rd gear does this.

I took it to some shops and 2 out of 3 said i need a new clutch and one said its fine just be easy on your car.

So in your opinion or expirance what do u think it is , or what should I do ?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hey everyone I need your opinion , im new here.3rd gear grinds in high rev ???

Your 2nd to 3rd synchro is just wearing out, VERY common with Honda's since it's the most commonly used synchro at high RPM. All those shops that said clutch, stay away from them, they are morons.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Hey everyone I need your opinion , im new here.3rd gear grinds in high rev ???

So how much is that to replace? is it hard to replace? and Thank you for replying
Old 01-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

x2 ive never had it happen to me but everything i've learned point to the synchro and not a clutch issue, but when the tranny is out and being torn apart it could be a good time to replace the clutch if the need be.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your lucky mine grinds 3rd and 4th lol and yeah its the syncros common d-series problem its cheaper to replace the whole trans than rebuild it (just 3rd gear) but i wouldnt worry about it my last dx did that i drove it forever like that never had any problems

or you could try swapping your trans fluid with some pennzoil syncromesh might get it to stop grinding
Old 01-05-2009, 04:48 PM

Ughh, yeah its a civic Dx , i just dont have alot of cash right now to fix this .So just replaceing one syncro will cost alot more then repalceing the whole thing ? ill ask around and see what i can get out of these shops . I have np staying with it but it gets annoying every time i want to speed up quick . How long did u drive with both gears ? and yeah that really sucks 3rd and 4th lol . Thanks for replying .
Old 01-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jimmy o.
your lucky mine grinds 3rd and 4th lol and yeah its the syncros common d-series problem its cheaper to replace the whole trans than rebuild it (just 3rd gear) but i wouldnt worry about it my last dx did that i drove it forever like that never had any problems

or you could try swapping your trans fluid with some pennzoil syncromesh might get it to stop grinding
x2, i have the same problem with 3rd and 4th, i will probably change my trans fluid as you said though, hopefully it helps
Old 01-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i drove mine over 20k miles like that and never had any problems and doubt its having any now
try some syncromesh it might help
Old 01-05-2009, 04:57 PM

Dang ok well ill give that a try then , Thanks alot !

Also is this grinding hurting my transmission or is it just hurting the syncro?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:08 PM

also i cant seem to put a picture on my profile , everytime I try ,it says not a valid image file?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very very common

Welcome to honda tech.
Don't say "vtech"
Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM

honestly unless your really lucky it would be cheaper to either do without 3rd gear or buy another tranny. because syncs. are not very cheap at all.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah replacing the syncro would really be a waste when you could just hit up a junkyard and get a sohc trans for cheap and get it swapped in a few hours. But you should be good to drive on it for quite some time my 240 grinded super bad into second but I still drove it for quite some time before I sold it, so you should be good until you save up some money bro.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:19 PM

Allright thanks Bro , ill deff check out some junk yards and get some prices on them . Im gunna try the syncromesh trans fluid first , hopefully that works out . I checked for some syncros on ebay and they were like 150 thow .

But im still wondering is the grinding hurting my trans at all ?
Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd not worry about it, just be mindful shifting into 3rd. My B16 Tranny has been like that for 2 years, and I beat the crap outta it at least a few times a month, just be careful when going into 3rd.

My EK Coupe with Z6 tranny does it too, same gear, it's been driven on that tranny for 4-5 years.

Unless it gets really bad, I'd ignore it.

And yes, it's hurting the tranny, KINDA, it's not horrible as it is only at High RPMs, so as long as your aren't beating on it regularly, it should be ok, if you are, it'll start chipping at 3rd gear. If you do choose to just drive on it, remember to change your tranny oil regularly, don't neglect it like most of us do.