Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Hey All!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey All!!

Im a newb to the honda world, and my hatch is completely stock. Im in NC, and need as many good ideas as possible, from suspension to motors...so im open to listen to all ideas, thanks! I will mostly be autocrossing the car and using it as a daily driver, so any suggestions of setups that will help me there! thanks all!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Hey All!! (StockandSlowEG6)

Any seasoned auto crosser will tell you to learn to drive it stock for at least your first few events.

From there, your learning curve will be more dramatic and you'll better know how to work to the advantage of after market parts.

I've done some road racing at PIR, It makes a huge difference to learn your stock cars capabilities before you modify it.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, what would be great is if you told us your year and model of car. I guess I'll assume from your avatar that you've got an EH2, and they're great cars. The unfortunate thing about them is that they are slow and don't handle well completely stock. However, you can increase the amount of fun you have with the car at first by changing its appearance a little to your taste, and going into the suspension with a cool head.

Until you figure what you want to do with the engine, be it N/A, F/I, swap, etc, I'd suggest doing anything with that YET. Do some research through the numerous pages, and once you have a complete PLAN, you can proceed, or you could waste precious time and money.

Handling-wise, I think I can suggest some stuff. It will cost a pretty penny, but you don't have to do it all at once.

You may want to start with a Springs/Shocks setup. This will allow you to improve turning response and decrease body roll, and will improve the stance of the car. If you value your tires (and this is a controversial subject), I'd get a nice cheap camber kit, or at least a crucial alignment.

Then on to wheels and tires: Go with a good blend of lightweight performance, and looks if you feel. Tires are good and cheap with 15" wheels, and great to go through for an auto-xer. 16" wheels however I find can look a little more stylish on some setups, have a little less sidewall roll, and have a great tire selection. Tires will help improve response and traction throughout driving, and can improve acceleration through corners, etc.

Some other goodies that can improve the responsiveness of your car that I have experience with are Strut and Tie bars. They help eliminate chassis twist and the infamous FWD understeer. Great little additions, I'll never go back after installing all four of these. In addition, there are also sway bars that you can look into, which further increase your handling to a comparable degree.

These are among the things you can do to improve the fun of driving your little honda, and increase its handling, which we all know is VERY important.

Hope you've had fun reading ALL of this, and I hope I've helped you a little. Welcome to the Honda community, you've got a lot of reading to do.

PS- I do agree, as I do many times, with EKforever. Soak up all your car has to teach you while it's stock, and for god's sake, don't drive like a jackass all the time while you're doing it.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/878010
Old 07-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok to answer some questions...It is a 1992 CX, and as far as getting to know my car stock, ive raced 4 auto-x's and 2 12 hour events...i feel extremely comfortable with the car. ok so heres what ive gathered from research and friends... KYB AGX 4 way adjustables with megan racing springs,or lowering springs (1.75'' drop), a 20mm rear sway bar, all my braces and bars(including c-pillar bar),i want 15'' or 16'' with FALKEN AZENIS tires,and lastely a skunk2 camber kit.
On to motor/tranny...I want the JDM D15B, i know its not the most powerful motor, but im not looking for 300HP out of this car, i only want to be competitive in what i do, and still have fuel economy. I do EVENTUALLY want a turbo, but not for a while.
Honestly this is all i plan to do, with the exception of racing seats, harnesses, tinted windows, a cloth rear seat swap, some gauges(tach, air/fuel,water temp, oil pressure)...fog lights, and thats it!
Old 07-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StockandSlowEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On to motor/tranny...I want the JDM D15B, i know its not the most powerful motor, but im not looking for 300HP out of this car, i only want to be competitive in what i do, and still have fuel economy. I do EVENTUALLY want a turbo, but not for a while. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet, a target setup similar to my own. Just last summer I swapped out my D15B7 for the JDM D15B VTEC, and scored an OEM LSD in the process. I also am not targeting a really high horsepower car. I intend to upgrade my car with performance AND economy in mind. A SOHC is commonly easy and cheap to come by, as are parts for it, compared to a DOHC engine. IMO, it's a good choice, but after a while, you will probably set your sights on forced induction for that extra bit of power. I know I have by now.

Anywho, this is one of the articles I read up on when researching the D15B VTEC engine. Hope it helps you out a little.

http://asia.vtec.net/article/d15b/