Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

hesitating acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitating acceleration

whenever im driving(mostly in 2nd gear) when i get to about 2k rpms my cars feels hesitant to rev higher at times, as if it was gargling. what can be the cause of this? thank u guys again i always get help and i appreciate it
Old 03-12-2009, 01:04 AM

Default Re: hesitating acceleration

tell us the following,

have you done a comp & leakdown? if so results?

what is the mileage on your car?

is your setup running its proper ecu,wires etc or is it a mix and match such like a mini me some people do?

if so did you get your new set up a tune?if not do so!

has it gone through any new changes like new wires etc(may be the cause if the problem wasnt there before)

how recently did you do a complete tune up?

which I mean new cap & rotor,wires,plugs,pcv valve,tranny & engine oil change,coolant flush,new t-stat,carb cleaning,valve adjustment,timing adjustment?

do you know how to check if your map,tps,dizzy is good? have you done so?

have you checked issues that can be caused by other things than the engine? such like having an seized brake system?
Old 03-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

/\ holy **** dude, that is quite unneccesary!

most typical issues with a low rpm stutter:

bad/slow/non-responsive o2 sensor

excessively advanced ignition timing
Old 03-12-2009, 06:54 AM

wayyy too many things can cause studder and hesitation,

leaking rings and seals will leak oil into the chamber causing a missfire,hesitation(leakdown test needed to see so)

an ecu or tune that wasnt programed specifically to his setup,conditions will also cause studder and missfire,hesistation.

bad wires,plugs,cap & rotor,dizzy,timing will cause a missfire,hesitation

loose valve adjustment will cause hesitation,noise and hesitation

timing, dont even think I have to explain has a massive influence on how an engine runs therefore needs to be checked!

tps,map and crankshaft sensors all have very big roles on how an engine runs and either one can cause similiar symptoms when failing to operate properly.

most of the things I counted are either cheap to do so, an essential to operate an engine at best efficiency or just maintenance so why shouldnt he do it?

he can maybe start off with the free (or atleast very cheap) stuff by cleaning and adjusting the engine components like the tps(it can be adjusted,most times does not need to be changed) the timing(all you need is an repair manual and a rental t-gun) the valves (again r-manual,and a $5 gauge) the fast idle valve and iavc valve are free to be cleaned aswell(brake cleaner your done),carb cleaner requires 10 minutes and a $5 cleaner,

if all that doesnt help than he can follow the list with his tune-up which he should have done anyway, it not only might solve the problem but will add mpg,hp and reliability to his car anyway.

if all that doesnt help take your car to a mech to futher investigate as it might be from drag caused by bad wheel bearings,siezed brakes etc
Old 03-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by V8 Eater
most of the things I counted are either cheap to do so, an essential to operate an engine at best efficiency or just maintenance so why shouldnt he do it?
don't take this wrong, but most of us have better **** to do.

for the most part you are right, but the stuff hes describing isn't actually a problem. its not a missfire or a hesitation.

his car is shortening/extending injector cycle as it thinks it should. creating a fluxuation in power output at low-load, low-rpm conditions.

things that do this are too much timing and old o2's.

now if the op is experiencing anything that isn't a smooth loss of power he's got issues that your ideas would fix
Old 03-12-2009, 07:12 AM

Hey guys I am new to the site but I am gonna haft to agree with MonkeyMagic on this one its very commen for o2 sensors to go bad and cause a hesitation in the rpm, your best bet is to start small like an o2 sensor and go up from there.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V8 is right to ask for background information. Knowing whether a tuneup has been done recently and using OEM parts for wires, rotor, cap and so on makes sure we are all on the same page and immediately narrows the troubleshooting. It is amazing how often a running problem is corrected with simply a new set of OEM wires and/or plugs.

Once the tuneup condition of the car is established, then it is appropriate to inquire about the oxygen sensor and more.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mikey0009
Hey guys I am new to the site but I am gonna haft to agree with MonkeyMagic on this one its very commen for o2 sensors to go bad and cause a hesitation in the rpm, your best bet is to start small like an o2 sensor and go up from there.
newbie lubb

Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 AM

no man why should I take that wrong you are infact trying to do the same as Iam and help which is a good intention !

infact I didnt even notice I missed the o2 sensor,totally forgot about it, yes a bad o2 sensor can definatly mess up the way an engine runs, however I still think he should do his tune-up if he hasnt along with an detailed cleaning and adjustments of the parts I counted for ,the reason being that there all needed to run an engine right and efficient and jumping to an o2 change with out a tune-up might not even solve the problem, an engine works as a whole right? but this my own opinion and I might be wrong,as I said before we are all just trying to help!
Old 03-14-2009, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot guys ill take your responses into consideration while tryin to diagnose the problem.