Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Here are some alarm install tricks and anti theft tricks to keep your car yours.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here are some alarm install tricks and anti theft tricks to keep your car yours.....

Alright, there are a lot of Honda's getting stolen of course and it seems every time it happens we have a thread about it and I try to explain install tricks for your alarm. I figured I would just make one post about it and try to cover as much as I can.

For starters, most the alarm tricks can be done yourself but if you aren't comfortable tapping your wiring yourself, find someone to do it for you. Most pro installers will do these things fairly cheap on the side but they aren't allowed to do it in the store for warranty and liability reasons.

Also, even though an alarm is pretty much considered mandatory, they are still relatively easy to bypass by an experience car thief. I strongly strongly suggest wiring in a kill switch to your fuel pump. There have been several threads with good how to's about doing such. Just search. I also strongly suggest getting an autolock for your brake or clutch pedal. They are less than $50 and have been proven one of the best anti theft devices. I have yet to read or hear about a Honda getting stolen with all 3 items (alarm, kill switch, autolock.)

Disclaimer: These are just suggestions. I can't guarentee these will make your car unstealable and take no responsibility if anything happens. All I know as that if done correctly these tricks will simply make the car harder to steal.
<U>"Alarm Tricks"</U>

Starter kill: Nearly every alarm comes with one. Even the cheap no name ones when installed will usually have one. If you don't know what it is, it is a relay that is wired into your starter so that when the alarm is armed and then tripped, power is cut off to the starter. It is a good concept in theory but there are downsides.

There are 2 ways to wire in a starter kill relay. The first way, and most common way is called "always on." What this means is that the relay is always on untill the alarm turns it off. Almost all shops install it this way for warranty reasons. The biggest downside to this is that if the alarm is simply "killed" by cutting power to it or removing the brain your relay is doing nothing to protect your car.

The other way is "always off." What this means is that power is always cut from your starter unless the alarm tells it to give it power. Shops usually won't do this for you even if requested because it can just turn into a headache for them with customers who don't understand. The nice thing about this way is that even if the alarm brain is removed from the car, or power is simply cut from the alarm, the relay is still cutting power. To get around the relay you have to actually locate the relay and either rewire it or do some quick wire jumping. The only downside to this is that if your relay happens to go bad or your power fuse for the alarm goes bad, you won't be able to start your car untill fixed. These are very minor worries, in 3 different vehicles over almost 10 years I have never had either problem.

Another extra measure of precaution is to locate the relay somewhere different than the standard location of under your steering column. Every car thief knows that is where shops locate it and is the first place they look. If you have it a little more hidden it will buy time while they hunt it down.

Sirens: Location, location, location. The harder to get to it the harder to silence it. Definatly spend a little more and get battery backup sirens. This way if a thief disables your alarm they will still have to go to each siren you have and silence it somehow. This is where location plays a key role. I always tell people 3 sirens are a good idea. Locate one under the hood somewhere like a typical install. This will be the first one disabled by a thief but to do so they will have to pop the hood which will make it very loud and with the hood up hopefully attract more attention. The other two I like to get creative and mount inside the bumper support, one in front and one in rear. This is a very nice location for the sirens as it is nearly impossible to get to them in a timely matter to silence them. It will require removing the bumper covers, and figuring out how to get to the sirens once there. Even if they disable them they are dealing with a car with both bumper covers removed, most thieves won't even bother at this point and if they do manage a stolen car with no bumper covers draws a lot of attention.

Identifying the alarm: Most people don't realize it but just by looking at a flashing LED most thieves can determine what kind of alarm you have and start their plan of attack. I usually suggest using an "aftermarket" compatable LED or using one from a different brand of alarm. I also think it is a good idea to locate the LED where it doesn't draw attention unless someone is looking in your car. I personally like putting it in a plug on the center console or by the shifter somewhere down low. With the LED on top of your dash or in the pillar somewhere a thief wouldn't even have to get out of their car to determine what kind of alarm you have.

This would probably be a good time to say please don't put stickers on your car advertising your alarm. I still don't understand why alarm companies include stickers with them. If you don't see why stickers are a bad idea, just take my word for it.

Power supply for the alarm: When a shop installs an alarm for warranty and liability reason they must wire power directly to the battery with a fuse within 10 inches of the battery. This is good practice I wouldn't recomend doing it any other way. What I would recomend is provide the alarm with power from a couple different places under the dash also. For example, every car thief knows alarms are wired to the battery with the fuse close so they know where to look. One of the first things a thief will do to disable your alarm is simply pull that fuse. In a typical install that will disable your whole alarm system in a matter of seconds. If you have it tapped into a couple different power supplies under the dash (with inline fuses of course) when the thief cuts power from the battery, the alarm will still have a backup power source that they will have to hunt and find. This will at the least by some time. But more importanly it throws a "curve" at the thief and hopefully they will just give up at that time because their plan isn't working.

.................................................. ...............................
Those are just some of the most effective tricks for your alarm. I hope this helps some people keep their car in their posession. If you have any wiring questions contact a pro installer, I don't want to be bombarded my messages asking wiring questions. If you do have any other questions please post them as my IM's don't work very well.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Here are some alarm install tricks and anti theft tricks to keep your car yours..... (TwistedSI)

thieves also have access to the web.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Here are some alarm install tricks and anti theft tricks to keep your car yours..... (TwistedSI)

good stuff
Old 01-14-2004, 07:38 PM

good write up!
Old 01-14-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Here are some alarm install tricks and anti theft tricks to keep your car yours..... (O.G triple

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by O.G triple O.G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thieves also have access to the web. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right. But most the tricks I listed will buy almost as much time if the thief knows them or aren't expecting them. I thought about it and thought it to be better to try and help educate as many as possible even in a couple thiefs read this, I think the numbers will be in our favor.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:59 PM
illicon2003

Simply pull your plug wires whenever you leave your car. Only takes but a minute.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:00 PM
illicon2003

Ps, most theives already know their way around alarms and what not. If anything, by putting this stuff online, you're giving fake car thieves ideas. Use some common sense
Old 01-14-2004, 08:04 PM
^R@m!r0_(M)

Default Re: (illicon2003)

installed kill switch i used a button though for easier access only took an hour and moving on to an alarm... nice write up.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:08 PM

I think it was a good post. most things stated above wont matter if the theive allready knows it or not. The posts that are bad are things like "where to put my kill switch" those are the ones that have bad news written all over them. Thanks for some good ideas.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:08 PM
^R@m!r0_(M)

Default Re: (illicon2003)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by illicon2003 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ps, most theives already know their way around alarms and what not. If anything, by putting this stuff online, you're giving fake car thieves ideas. Use some common sense</TD></TR></TABLE>

im pretty sure a kill switch which he mentioned would be pretty hard to bypass and pretty easy to install i know mine isnt goin to be found i actaully have two and most people on H-T arent thieves i hope so this is useful information.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:48 PM

Great write up man
Old 01-14-2004, 08:58 PM

I'm sure now that a theif just read this post he will expect to look for mass sirens behind bumpers and what not on his next target. Good work.

Not being a dick dude, but IMO I dont think its good to post **** like this. Honda's are economy cars. Which lead to poor security devices. All you need to steal a honda is a phillips screw driver and a claw hammer, oh and some spark plug pieces to quietly break the window. Its pointless trying to help other people protect their cars, if its so easy to get around everything we do. Theres people out there that do this **** for money. They read post like this one and find out what people are up to with our cars, and how we secure them. So actually, this thread has useful resources for a theif. I'm not trying to call anyone a theif on here, but I know for damn sure that someone on this site steals cars for what they want off of it. Prime example, ITR. Wheels, interior, suspension, swap, and anything else they want off of it. My uncle is a state trooper, and he tells me stories about this kinda **** all the time. You can meet someone on the internet, they hang out with you a few times, and a week later steal your ******* car. Thats just the way society is now a days. I even know people like that. Like I said TwistedSi, not being a ******** or nothing towards you, but society sucks.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Here are some alarm install tricks and anti theft tricks to keep your car yours..... (JSPECHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JSPECHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm sure now that a theif just read this post he will expect to look for mass sirens behind bumpers and what not on his next target. Good work.

Not being a dick dude, but IMO I dont think its good to post **** like this. Honda's are economy cars. Which lead to poor security devices. All you need to steal a honda is a phillips screw driver and a claw hammer, oh and some spark plug pieces to quietly break the window. Its pointless trying to help other people protect their cars, if its so easy to get around everything we do. Theres people out there that do this **** for money. They read post like this one and find out what people are up to with our cars, and how we secure them. So actually, this thread has useful resources for a theif. I'm not trying to call anyone a theif on here, but I know for damn sure that someone on this site steals cars for what they want off of it. Prime example, ITR. Wheels, interior, suspension, swap, and anything else they want off of it. My uncle is a state trooper, and he tells me stories about this kinda **** all the time. You can meet someone on the internet, they hang out with you a few times, and a week later steal your ******* car. Thats just the way society is now a days. I even know people like that. Like I said TwistedSi, not being a ******** or nothing towards you, but society sucks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Trust me, any Honda thief out there already knows all these things. The most educated people about anti-theft devices are the thieves. This thread just brings everyone up to par on this. If this post did educate a car thief, they weren't a very good one anyways and won't come after a car with these tricks.

I understand your point and did think about it before making this thread but decided it is better to inform everyone of the tricks so they can choose to do them or not. We all know you can't keep your car from getting stolen, we can only slow down the thief and buy time. Most the things I listed, even if the thief knows about them and even how to get around them, will still buy you time.

Look at it this way. A car with a basic install and a thief not knowing about these tricks can steal a car in so much time. Informing the car owner and the thief both of these tricks, having them done to the car and having the thief prepare for the extra obstacles, will result in taking longer to steal the car. So in a sense I would rather everyone know about these tricks than no one know, or even worse, just the thieves.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:25 PM

Old 01-14-2004, 09:30 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwistedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Trust me, any Honda thief out there already knows all these things. The most educated people about anti-theft devices are the thieves. This thread just brings everyone up to par on this. If this post did educate a car thief, they weren't a very good one anyways and won't come after a car with these tricks.

I understand your point and did think about it before making this thread but decided it is better to inform everyone of the tricks so they can choose to do them or not. We all know you can't keep your car from getting stolen, we can only slow down the thief and buy time. Most the things I listed, even if the thief knows about them and even how to get around them, will still buy you time.

Look at it this way. A car with a basic install and a thief not knowing about these tricks can steal a car in so much time. Informing the car owner and the thief both of these tricks, having them done to the car and having the thief prepare for the extra obstacles, will result in taking longer to steal the car. So in a sense I would rather everyone know about these tricks than no one know, or even worse, just the thieves.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats true. There really isnt no way to 100% secure your car. Even those Immobilizer systems are junk. They are just to buy time as you previously stated. I'm glad you didnt take what I was saying the wrong way and try to flame. We both agreed with each other on this. Thats cool.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:34 PM

two words.... TOW TRUCK

my friends car was stolen from the mall within 32 seconds.. they came with a tow truck. found it 3 weeks later 100% stripped. he had all these things that you listed too.

oh and they know it was 32 seconds bc of the survaillence tape clock.*
Old 01-14-2004, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good writeup.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:37 PM

Default Re: (NYCautosport.com)

I could do it in 32 seconds without a tow truck. Honda's are to easy. I love them, but hate them because of this.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:49 PM

Default Re: (JSPECHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JSPECHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I could do it in 32 seconds without a tow truck. Honda's are to easy. I love them, but hate them because of this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I couldn't even steal my own car in 32 seconds and I know what is done to it and where everything is hidden.

A tow truck is the one thing we can't really fight against. But that is where the GPS unit that DEI and Clifford are starting to sell come in handy. It keeps a record of where the car has been and such and transmits it to the company. By the time the thief gets the car to where ever they are going to strip it and discover that little battery powered transmitter, it will have already reported to you where it is via cell phone and/or internet connection.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:55 PM

Good write-up.
Old 01-14-2004, 09:59 PM

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwistedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I couldn't even steal my own car in 32 seconds and I know what is done to it and where everything is hidden.

A tow truck is the one thing we can't really fight against. But that is where the GPS unit that DEI and Clifford are starting to sell come in handy. It keeps a record of where the car has been and such and transmits it to the company. By the time the thief gets the car to where ever they are going to strip it and discover that little battery powered transmitter, it will have already reported to you where it is via cell phone and/or internet connection.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats badass!
Old 01-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

twisted nice write up , but it only takes a thief to disable that four wire connection that connects the brain to the main power source.. i wont go into anymore detail than that if you have an alarm you know what 4 wire connection im talking about.. all alarms have no matter who makes the alarm system.....

removing this connection. completely disables the alarm system regardless of multiple power sources... why??? becuase it goes directly to the brain.

the key is layered security..

multipal hidden kill switchess... bah bah you know the rest...

or get a boot and rest easy
Old 01-14-2004, 10:12 PM

Default Re: (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
removing this connection. completely disables the alarm system regardless of multiple power sources... why??? becuase it goes directly to the brain.

the key is layered security..

multipal hidden kill switchess... bah bah you know the rest...

or get a boot and rest easy</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, the boot may be a bit impractical but I guess it will do the trick. You are right about layered security most definatly. I just like to see that first layer of alarm be done a little better than it has been.

And that harness you speak of, you're right, no matter how many power sources you have that will disable it but that is where battery backup sirens and wiring the starter relay in "always off" comes into play. You can remove the brain of the alarm and the relay will still cut power to the starter.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:33 PM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwistedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, the boot may be a bit impractical but I guess it will do the trick. You are right about layered security most definatly. I just like to see that first layer of alarm be done a little better than it has been.

And that harness you speak of, you're right, no matter how many power sources you have that will disable it but that is where battery backup sirens and wiring the starter relay in "always off" comes into play. You can remove the brain of the alarm and the relay will still cut power to the starter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have an "always off" starter kill installed.. its nice and never had a problem.. i know that my area is hot as hell now w/ theft anyone in the NOVA area knows this.. ive looked into the BOOT before its great for someone that does not have a tow truck but a tow truck will still be able to pull it up on a flat bed or leave the front front wheels rolling as it will pop out of gear if it was left in gear.. a GPS thing is the thing to have now.. im gonna get that GPS this summer forsure so i can have a better peice of mind when im at the mall and other places i cant see or hear my car..
Old 01-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Informative post for myself, I want to get some backup battery sirens..

How do those work anyways?

Quick Reply: Here are some alarm install tricks and anti theft tricks to keep your car yours.....