Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!!! Y8 intake, Where does everything go???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Y8 intake, Where does everything go???

I've tried Google, FAQs and searches but I'm not finding what I need. Links are either dead or pics are gone from the threads/pages that might be helpful. I was hoping to get this done last night and I can't have the car sitting much longer.

I'm doing a mini me on a 99 D16Y7 with a 99 Y8 head/intake, both manual. The head is a no brainer. I have that in place and torqued down everything that hooks up to that pretty much done. But the intake hook ups are all in different places and I really don't want to screw this up. I do have, hopefully, the ECU wiring/pinouts sorted so I don't need help in that area.

There were/are cut up tubes all over the intake and I'm not sure where and how things are routed. I pulled the intake off the head because there a few things on the underside that I know I wont be able to get to if it's necessary to reroute, specifically 2 pieces of tubing. One I know is coolant and think goes to the IACV, which side of the IACV and where the other side routes to I'm not sure. The other big mystery is the little tube sticking out the driver's side rear of the intake.

Is there a diagram anywhere that might be helpful or is there anyone that has done this swap that can give me some info?

Last edited by BeatDX; 03-17-2014 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP!!! Y8 intake, Where does everything go???

Little tube on back is for cruise control . There should be 2 coolant hose's going to iacv 1 fiting on intake where heater hose goes and I'll have to look where other goes but should be near t sat housing
Old 03-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Other 1 goes on the coolant tube that runs across the back of the motor . A good place for pics is online honda parts web site like majestic they have exploded views of all the parts . Good luck getting it going let us know if it was worth it .
Old 03-17-2014, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by canadaek
Little tube on back is for cruise control . There should be 2 coolant hose's going to iacv 1 fiting on intake where heater hose goes and I'll have to look where other goes but should be near t sat housing
I'll cap that since I don't have cruise. The bigger one in the center back is for the brake boost right?

OK, I now know where the IACV hooks up. I just don't know if it matters which one goes where.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think so but for easier connection I would put ps nipple to intake port ds to water pipe and yes large rear is for brake booster
Old 03-17-2014, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the great help. What about the port in the middle of the injectors the sticks straight up? I think it has something to do with cold assist it currentnly has a cut tube that is going towards the PS of the engine.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:49 AM
Ferio Wdm Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i did the intake manifold swap on my car, if you want, i can check all my lines and tell you where theyre supposed to go?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like air injection port I don't have it on mine only 99-00 had it goes to intake tube I think not 100% though
Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ferio-ichi3
i did the intake manifold swap on my car, if you want, i can check all my lines and tell you where theyre supposed to go?
That would be great, i just got through arguing with the timing belt and crank pulley. Stick close, so to speak, I'm going to start wrenching on the intake after I get a bite.

Sounds like air injection port I don't have it on mine only 99-00 had it goes to intake tube I think not 100% though
Maybe, but the cut part takes a downward turn after the edge of the intake... I'll see what it looks like when I get it more things bolted up. One problem is I'm going to use a RAI and I don't have a stock EX box to give me clues.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, BTW how do you get that #$%&$ bottom center nut back on?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the intake on. I figured out how to get that nut on easier than I thought but I burned out about a weeks worth of brain cells doing it.

I think I figured out everything except where that tube coming off in the middle of the injectors. There is some kind of ball check that corresponds to this just inside the head.

One other thing. The 2 connections on the throttle body are identical 3 wire connections, I think one is a TPS and not sure of the other I'm not sure if I have those in the right position. One is bundled with the air temp sensor, the other comes of the same bunch of wires with the injector connectors.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, figured out the throttle body connections (wrong in this pic). I still haven't figured out that tube. It almost reaches my RAI but it downturns right behind the VTEC solenoid if I just let it flop. If it is an air hook up I can T off the valve cover vent. I guess I could do the same if it's coolant with line from the throttle body.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like air injection to me my 96-98 intake doesn't have that
Old 03-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read this article on how to remove and bypass AIR injection on 99-00 D16Y8 intake manifold
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...manifolds.html
Old 03-17-2014, 07:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, ideally youd want to use a 96-98 d16y8 manifold.

I remember this manifold swap. the wires are physically long enough, but the wire LOOM is not. you need to cut a few inches into the loom for the injector plugs to fit. And yes you will need some coolant hose, because the coolant PIPE is different. the center port will run to the IACV (the 2 IACV ports are for coolant to warm the IACV in the winter and ****, it can be bypassed if you needed to.) Order does not matter on it.

Also, yeah I feel for ya. the nut in the middle of the manifold can be a real pain in the dick. i recall doing it from under the car, or using a socket with a swivel on it. it can be done with a regular deep socket, but its not fun, ya gotta jiggle it.

also your throttle cable will be long but will still work.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like air injection to me my 96-98 intake doesn't have that
Yeah, I'm aware of that, it looks like is a EJ8 only thing as well. My 99 EJ6 doesn't have it either.
Originally Posted by tlarimer
Read this article on how to remove and bypass AIR injection on 99-00 D16Y8 intake manifold
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-f...manifolds.html
Nice write up but I'm not going to pull that intake again for a long time unless I need to. I'm just going to plug it up, red would be cool, I'll call it my sore thumb sticking out. After working on this since Friday I have plenty more than that believe me.
Originally Posted by BrakeExpert
Yeah, ideally youd want to use a 96-98 d16y8 manifold.

I remember this manifold swap. the wires are physically long enough, but the wire LOOM is not. you need to cut a few inches into the loom for the injector plugs to fit. And yes you will need some coolant hose, because the coolant PIPE is different. the center port will run to the IACV (the 2 IACV ports are for coolant to warm the IACV in the winter and ****, it can be bypassed if you needed to.) Order does not matter on it.

Also, yeah I feel for ya. the nut in the middle of the manifold can be a real pain in the dick. i recall doing it from under the car, or using a socket with a swivel on it. it can be done with a regular deep socket, but its not fun, ya gotta jiggle it.

also your throttle cable will be long but will still work.
Actually, I did get everything to go where it needed to be, barely. I did have to unwrap the loom a little to get enough slack to reach some stuff. The injector plugs come in opposite and are just below the throttle. I'm going to make sure I rewrap them really good so they don't get snagged. I figured out that the coolant line works best going up into the driver side, out the passenger, into the throttle body port then out into the thermostat housing.

How I got that nut back on is I took my 12" extension, put a U-joint on the end, sprayed the nut with copper sealant so it wouldn't fall out and put in my 12mm socket. I then crawled under the car and worked it up to the stud, I stuck the end of the extension right next to firewall so it wouldn't move. I then crawled back out. I then reached down and guided it on from the top. I got it on a few threads then finished by using my combo wrench through that tiny hole. My wrench slipped out of my hand once and I got to play hide and seek with it around the oil filter, GOOD TIMES.

I have the throttle cable covered. Probably one of the easiest parts of this swap.

WAIT! IT GETS BETTER!

I was actually buttoning everything up, way too freaking late, last night. Valve lash set, plugs gapped and installed, valve cover sealed and bolted on oil poured in. I then go to pour in coolant, from the return hose so it will fill from the top of the engine down. As I get about 1/2 gal poured in things start trickling out. I forgot to reattach the coolant line right underneath the dizzy, ****! I undo the dizzy, have to give it a tiny pry with a screw driver since I put a new O-ring on it. I put the hose back where it goes and shove the dizzy back in and start tightening the bolts back up. I got a little bit of resistance thinking it was the new O-ring then SNAP! I forgot to check the alignment of the shaft! I busted the tab off the end of the rocker assy.

Now I get to go out first thing this morning to the pick and pull and hope no one has messed with the engine yet on the EJ8 they put out yesterday.

Last edited by BeatDX; 03-19-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OH!

BTW guys, You have been a great help. I think I might still be staring blankly at this thing without you.

Thanks a ton!
Old 03-26-2014, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

... Good luck getting it going let us know if it was worth it .
I thought I'd check back in. It's been running great for the past few days. I don't know if it is just the Y8 top end and P2P ECU. The subsequent corrections of other problems with the old head like a stuck spark plug with severely eroded ground electrode and leaky valve guides, timing belt off a tooth, ect. might have been helpful as well. It's like a completely new car. Power availability and response is great, I don't sweat having to pass on the highway and find myself cruising a bit faster than normal, I wonder what it wold be like if I had the Y8 tranny.

The biggest problem I had once I figured out where everything goes was I used the wrong intake gasket since I didn't know about FIAC when I put the the manifold back on. Instead of pulling the intake off again I ran a good bead of RTV along the top of the intake flange, no issues so far.