Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with y8 intake manifold swap please

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with y8 intake manifold swap please

Ok, I have everything pretty much worked out so far I think, but I still have a couple of issues that I need to figure out before I have to go to work tomorrow.

First off, there is a coolant connection that used to go from the block up to a hard line that is connected directly below the hard line that goes from the valve cover to the intake, then went from there to a coolant connection that stuck straight up just to the left of the runner closest to the passenger side of the car. But on the y8 intake manifold, there is no place to run the hose to there. So I am trying to figure out where I need to run this hose.

Do I need to just "T" it into another coolant line or what? I am trying to find someone that has done the d16z6 to y8 intake manifold swap, so that they can clue me into what they did.

And secondly, for what I believe is the PCV solenoid sensor thing, I didn't use the front vaccum source that I guess it is normally hooked up to. I ended up hooking it up to the cruise control vaccum fitting on the back driver side of the manifold, and then using a zip tie to keep it in place. Because it doesn't have a place to mount on the y8 manifold. Then I just blocked off the other vaccum source that I guess is for the PCV normally. Is this going to cause me any problems?

I am just trying to figure out if I am doing this right because I am kinda getting in a little over my head with this. If anyone could help or point me towards someone that can, that would be awesome.

thanks in advance

oh, and if anything is confusing, I can try to clarify it more. Just tell me what you need to know.

*EDIT* Crud, I think i was wrong about the sensor name. I don't think it is the PCV because that is the one that is underneath the intake manifold. The one sensor that I am talking about is the one that mounts to the back driver side of the z6 intake manifold. I don't know where the heck it is supposed to mount on the y8 intake mani. So confusing, please help, heh

[Modified by buskethead, 2:59 AM 1/29/2003]
Old 01-29-2003, 05:07 AM

Default Re: Help with y8 intake manifold swap please (buskethead)

I take it you're already @ work. Did you figure it out?

First of all, pics would be nice.

Still, I'll try to help you out.

As far as your sensor issue, I'm guessing that you're referring to the IAT sensor. On the z6, it bolted to the back of the intake runner, but on the y8, it PLUGS into the stock intake arm tubing before the throttle body. You're going to have to either find a way to bolt your z6 IAT sensor somewhere along the intake arm/IM or swap it with a y8 sensor and plug that somewhere in the intake arm. The z6 and y8 IAT sensors are not the same, but they can be swapped one for the other.

With the coolant line, I'm not too familiar with the z6 manifold, but with the y8, the coolant line plugs into the bottom passenger side of the IM.

HTH

Bryan

[edit]clarifications

[Modified by brcivic411, 6:08 AM 1/29/2003]
Old 01-29-2003, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Help with y8 intake manifold swap please (brcivic411)

Actually, I still have one more day today to figure this out (i wrote that post after midnight, so technically I worked tomorrow...)

But anyways, I think I can get the sensor thing figured out now, thanks. I'll just have to do some slight modifying and wiring extensions to get it to mount up in a not so ghetto way.

About the coolant lines, on the z6 manifold (if you are looking at it from the front of the car) there is the larger connection that is just to the left of the runner closest to the passenger side of the car. That one points towards the back of the car, then to the right of that, there is a smaller one that goes towards that back of the car, that connects to the sensor right under the throttle body. Then there is another connection just to the left of those 2 that sticks straight up. This is where that one line is supposed to connect to. On the y8 intake manifold, there are only the first 2 coolant connections. So I am kinda guessing that I am going to have to just tee that one into another coolant line or something maybe? Or am I missing another connection completely?

thanks again for your help

I'll see if maybe I can find some pics of a z6 manifold or something, because I don't have a digi cam
Old 01-29-2003, 08:36 AM

Ok, pics coming in a sec hopefully
Old 01-29-2003, 08:53 AM

So, the red line is the main coolant line that circles back down and connects to the same thing that the lower radiator hose is connected to. The blue line is from a coolant connection that is kinda hidden, and that runs to the sensor/valve thing right under the throttle body. Then the green line shows how the coolant line is supposed to go from that connection, up to the hard line that is connected right under the breather hard line for the valve cover, and then it goes down and connects in just to the left of where the red line goes.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:08 AM

ok, I think I got it guys, thanks very much for your help!!! I'll let ya know how she runs when I get everything hooked up right
Old 01-29-2003, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I might need your help as well, i just got a y8 intake manifold and i'll be doing this swap shortly

Let us know how it runs with the upgrade!!
Old 01-29-2003, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybee this write-up can help you
http://www.makuragi.s5.com/civic_99/Y8maniswap/

Its not going on a z6 head but, maybee it will help you out a bit.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Help with y8 intake manifold swap please (tommyboy)

Yeah, I am down to help out, hopefully I won't be getting any codes or anything like that, and everything will run properly so I don't have to fuss with this anymore after I get things hooked up.

And, yeah, that page definately did help me out, It was just missing the one piece of info that I was totally confused about, but I am hoping I have it under control now

thanks much!
Old 01-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This site has some good info on the swap

http://www.dseries.org/