Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help wong out with his stereo problem:(

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help wong out with his stereo problem:(

ok guys, I have an old alpine cd player in my 93 civic si hatch. I installed it myself about 4 months ago and it worked great until today. I took off the console and pulled the cd player out because my radio wasn't working too well. I checked the wires and everything seemed ok so I was in the process of putting the stereo back in the dash, but my friend wanted a smoke really badly. So without asking he pushes in the cigerrette lighter while the console is still out. The cigarette lighter starts smoking really bad..and im like wtf? I didn't think nothing of it, but when i tried to turn the stereo on, I get nothing. I can't turn it on..almost like its getting no power. I checked the fuse on the stereo..and its not blown. I just don't whats going on. Oh yea..another thing is that my clock on my car also wont turn on, unless I push on button, then it will turn on..but as soon as I take my finger off, then it turns off again. can anyone help me? I need music for my car

some one suggested this "There are two other fuses that I would bet are your problem. Check the box under the hood, and check the panel under the dash, on the drivers side. That is what my money is on."

do you guys concur with his advice?
Old 10-11-2003, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: help wong out with his stereo problem:( (WongFeihung)

i had the same problem as well. i forgot what its called but it was the yellow wire the run to the radio. it has a fuse under the hood which was blown. sorry thats all i can remember
Old 10-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help wong out with his stereo problem:( (O.G triple O.G)

thanks man, I will check it in the morning I was jus worried that I messed up my stereo or somthin...i can't affored another one right now heh
Old 10-11-2003, 07:43 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help wong out with his stereo problem:( (O.G triple O.G)

Check every fuse on the car. Some fuses labled for things do more than what it says. Other than that, you could try looking for melted wires...

Proably a fuse, though.

And one last note: <U>always</U> disconnect the battery when doing electrical work. I've almost blown my amp a few times by not doing that.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:46 PM

touch the power and ground rfom the radio direct to the battery to see if it still works. as for the clock, in my situation it was very dim but still comes on at night. anyways i think the yellow wire from the radio is a constant. not sure tho
Old 10-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help wong out with his stereo problem:( (clm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check every fuse on the car. Some fuses labled for things do more than what it says. Other than that, you could try looking for melted wires...

Proably a fuse, though.

And one last note: <U>always</U> disconnect the battery when doing electrical work. I've almost blown my amp a few times by not doing that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

duly noted thanks..actually I didnt disconnect my battery today when I was messing with the wires..yikes...I'll be careful
Old 10-11-2003, 07:50 PM

Default Re: help wong out with his stereo problem:( (clm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And one last note: <U>always</U> disconnect the battery when doing electrical work. I've almost blown my amp a few times by not doing that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

usually when people run amps in their cars, the run one power wire to the back and split it thru a distribution block. just remove the fuses from there.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh.. i had the same problem a while back. like everyone said, you probably blew a fuse somewhere.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help wong out with his stereo problem:( (ieatrice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ieatrice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh.. i had the same problem a while back. like everyone said, you probably blew a fuse somewhere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you dont mind sharing, where was your fuse blown?
Old 10-11-2003, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm a installer....most likely you blew a fuse...it's under the steering column and should say radio/cigrette lighter....also check the wiring on ur cigrette lighter, fuses don't blow unless you have bad wiring....and make sure all ur wires are solder on the harness, most people think every car audio installation is that same, but if you use crips or just tape most likely something will get undone and mess something up....it also solves a lot of headaches if you do something right the first time and not rigg it.

if you don't want to solder, you can go to Circuit City get a MET 801720- Harness for the car and depends on what Alpine you have it's Either a MET AL1680 or a ALX2880.....

Another thing if you're dome light is off on your car, it's also a fuse under the hood...

if you have any more questions let me know....good luck
Old 10-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help wong out with his stereo problem:( (lo0nY)

wow thank you Lo0ny, thanks so much man! i'll keep you posted bro.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It turns out it was the backup fuse (7.5) in the hood that was blown. Thanks guys for the assistance
Old 10-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no problem........anytime.....
Old 10-18-2003, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry i didn't respond sooner, i was about to say the same thing.. well good luck!
Old 10-18-2003, 07:21 PM

It should be the two fuses in your fuse box. They should be labeled and they are probably 40 or 50 amp fuses. Pepboys sells them and they are about .50 cents apiece.