Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

(Help!) What tires should i get?

Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Help!) What tires should i get?

I have a 97 civic lx sedan, and my tires blew out due to BAD negative camber wear, i know i need a camber kit to fix it because i don't really plan on raising my car haha, but anyways, my wheels, unlike everything else are 100 percent stock/OEM. Exactly what tire size should i get that would last a while? I don't want low profiles and i don't want anything too thin, too wide, etc.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Help!) What tires should i get?

are you sure it's camber wear and not bad toe?

since i assume you have 14" steelies, which were oem for your car since you didn't mention what was on the car. 185/65/14 would be the correct size. if you want something to last and don't care about performance, just get all seasons.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people are going to refer you to the "you don't need a camber kit" thread and say you just need to adjust your toe because lowering the car caused the toe to change (it is true it throws your toe out). I think you do need a camber kit if your camber is not to spec. but that's just me. As far as tires I won't recommend a certain size or brand because a competent tire shop will know what your car needs for the stock wheel. I will say this about the brand - I had some cheap *** Kumhos (~$41 ea.) on my car and was happy as could be with them for 40 or 50k miles. When they finally needed replacement I bought some much more expensive Dunlops (~$70 ea.) and they suck. So my experience was not the old "you get what you pay for" cliche. Seems like every time I buy tires they have a different tire, different manufacturer, different tread, different everything that makes it hard to make a good choice. It's like you almost have to get lucky. I've always found Goodyear to make a good tire (OK, I recommended a brand). Also, don't go to the first tire store and accept the first set of truck tires they try to put on your Honda. Go to 3 or 4 places and then go back to the best one. I did have good luck buying from tirerack.com (where I got the Kumhos). Another thing, I bought my current car with a set of nice (I thought) Bridgestones mounted on the stock steel wheels. One of them blew to shreds on the way to work one day and they still had good tread on them. It's possible I had hit a nail and lost pressure resulting in the failure but I'm not sure. I'm not one to usually get warranties on anything I buy, but road hazard protection is the exception for me when I buy a new set of tires. Depends on your type of commute I guess. I drive 170 miles round trip daily to work, usually in the dark, and invariably hit a brick, ladder or piece of lumber while driving 80 on the freeway. When I pick up a nail or something I just go back to the shop and they unmount the tire, patch it from the inside and remount and balance, no charge because of the road hazard protection. I've done this more than once. Keep in mind they may not offer this if your suspension has been modified and they may not even want to fix their poorly done mount and balance, align your car or honor any warranty because the car has been lowered or proper alignment is not possible. Ask about these issues in advance and try to get something in writing.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Don't know how anyone is trying to answer this when we don't know anything about the setup. For all we know he's running 15x8 rims, zero offset with rolled and pulled fenders. No getting around tire wear there.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Two options. Option 1, give us more information. Option 2, get some R-comps.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Don't know how anyone is trying to answer this when we don't know anything about the setup. For all we know he's running 15x8 rims, zero offset with rolled and pulled fenders. No getting around tire wear there.
OP, please post more information about your setup.