Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP what should my next upgrade be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP what should my next upgrade be?

I have a 2000 civic si.. vis hood oem carbon fiber, weapon r intake and greddy cat back exhaust.. i was thinking of headers and obd2-1 conversion harness and ecu swap.. or should i just get a vafc 2? im trying to make this a strong all motor car with the option of a jackson supercharger or a small turbo later on... i like to keep reliability an issue and this is strictly for street i need to pass inspection easy. i tend to read reviews and product details to see if it can clear emissions and if it is actually an effective product. i myself didnt start with this car myself if infact i did i would have had a comptech cold air intake and im not sure of the exhaust. i like the greddy sound so im not totally disatisfied with that. but the intake is ram so it misses the cold air and feeds on warm engine air. so heres what i was thinking.greddy
im not sure can someone help trying to keep it passing emissions but with as much
spoon ecu
weapon r ecu conversion obd1-obd2
or
vafc 2
or
light flywheel and clutch
and also headers...
dc stainless steal 4-1
edelbrock
power with out losing hardly if any low end power
i cant get all this at once 2 things like headers and ecu or headers and flywheel and clutch.
thanks for the help in advance
irie eyes

my paps has a turbo mazdaspeed miata and it eats this car his clutch grabs and thrusts you forward..the civic seems to lack that.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: HELP what should my next upgrade be? (madlion)

You cant make a strong all motor and want to go FI later. Thats a waste of money, pick one way or the other.

If your still undesided get the VAFC, and clutch/flywheel set up and leave off on the header for later, or turbo later.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP what should my next upgrade be? (Luserkid)

which is more reliable?
Old 07-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all motor is always more reliable then FI, with FI your making a weaker motor work harder. IMO go FI in the long run you will net more hp and you can get a kit in the H-T classifieds for cheap, and those upgrades you mentioned, if you buy a header, ecu, vafc thats like half of a kit right there
Old 07-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Your car is naturally aspired right now so naturally aspired will be the most reliable way to go without building an entire engine. If that engine was meant to have a turbo it would have one on it. That's not to say that there aren't turbo'd b's running around that are reliable, but it'll take more money. You already have a good base to build off of for a naturally aspired engine, I would keep it that way. Personally, I would probably put a clutch and flywheel in it. When I had my d series it made a good difference in power. I went with an ACT 8.5lb flywheel with an Exedy clutch. It was a little jerky in traffic though.

Now that I have the ITR engine I kept the stock flywheel and put an Exedy on it. I don't know how the stock clutch grabbed, but I can spin in second a good bit and a little in third. Definitely makes it more fun to drive agressively. It is up to you though.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:37 AM

Default Re: HELP what should my next upgrade be? (97mini-me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97mini-me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your car is naturally aspired right now so naturally aspired will be the most reliable way to go without building an entire engine. If that engine was meant to have a turbo it would have one on it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What? You're right we should leave every car alone and never put turbo or superchargers on them, because they would already have them if they needed them. Hey if he wants to spend a ton of money and time on an all motor si and still get spanked by a turbo si go for it.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP what should my next upgrade be? (dogfood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dogfood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What? You're right we should leave every car alone and never put turbo or superchargers on them, because they would already have them if they needed them. Hey if he wants to spend a ton of money and time on an all motor si and still get spanked by a turbo si go for it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He didn't say he wanted the fastest car, he said he wanted a reliable car. Yes, his car could be faster with a turbo, and reliable as well if he wants to put the money into doing it right. I just stated that he already has a good platform for an all motor build. Would turbo be faster? Yes, most definitely. It'll just cost more.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP what should my next upgrade be? (97mini-me)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97mini-me &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Would turbo be faster? Yes, most definitely. It'll just cost more.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not really in order to make a "fast" NA car it takes quite a bit of money.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just get balled on by dodge rams and 350zs i want something comparable.. they have like greddy turbo kits for 1500 on ebay thats not too exspensive ..ported and polished head is like 1000 so the price is comparable..
Old 07-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also whats best clutch flywheel combo for the money.. i forgot to mention i have kyb agx shocks that have yet to be installed.. some idiot had intrx springs on the stock struts so i have to replace them.. so i was thinking the clutch and flywheel will give me the most grin for the buck any ideas?
Old 07-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A nice pressure plate, clutch and flywheel made my driving expierence a lot more fun.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by madlion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just get balled on by dodge rams and 350zs i want something comparable.. they have like greddy turbo kits for 1500 on ebay thats not too exspensive ..ported and polished head is like 1000 so the price is comparable..</TD></TR></TABLE>

But you get a lot more bang for your $$$ with a turbo over a P&P.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: HELP what should my next upgrade be? (NA_B16a2)

exactly, you can port and polish the hell out of that head and you still won't run with a turbo. In order to make that car fast and NA you are gonna have to take some of the reliability out of it. A greddy kit is high quality, and not that expensive when you consider what you get. Or you can always throw a jackson supercharger on there, they give you a waranty with that one(turbos faster in the long run though).