Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help! Washed engine bay, car bogs, water in spark plug?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Washed engine bay, car bogs, water in spark plug?

On Sunday, I cleaned my engine bay. I covered up battery, air intake tube and distributor. Washed the bay a bit cause I ran out of Gunk. I then concentrated on the valve cover (B20B) because it was extra dirty in that area.

I then filled that part of the valve cover with water until it over flows, then water ran out from the distributor side. I did that for one time but saw some grease still, and did it again.

I started the car and let it idel, then drove it inside the garage, everything was fine. This afternoon (Monday), I pulled it out and it was fine. Drove for about 20KMs with a friend for a coffee, it was fine still.

Just before we left, I started the car and it sounded weird. It was bogging, and every so often, the exhaust would sorta "explode" and made a loud sound, then the car continued to bog. I didn't think much. Then we left the place and head home, that's when I noticed problem.

Car would accelerate but really slow (stock B20B), sounded like a truck and it was bogging all the time. Sometimes, it even felt a lost of power for a brief moment and then caught up. You could say the car was jerking, alot.

To best describe it, it sounded like a Harley Davidson.

I then thought about the water incident I had yesterday, and quickly changed engine oil. But it did no help, still sounded like a Harley Davidson.

What could have been the cause of this? Did water actually get into the spark plug hole cause I flooded that entire area? Is this some type of "hydro-locking"

I am frustrated, and felt stupid. Can anyone shine some light on this issue and give me a hand? Much appreciated.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: Help! Washed engine bay, car bogs, water in spark plug? (Nova_Dust)

you should know better not to wash your engine bay being a H-T member.....

Harley Davidson sound? prolly have water in your headers?
Old 04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

misfire. Well, sounds like you need to check your dizzy, wires and plugs. Corroded after the washing and then heat from usage.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Help! Washed engine bay, car bogs, water in spark plug? (-DesTiNy-)

not sure if its the problem but im just trying to help, i had this problem with my dads van once, i took off the distributor cap and wiped it with a dry rag put it back on and ran fine, if that doesnt work try it on the spark plug ends, if that doesnt work check your spark plugs for any moisture
Old 04-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help! Washed engine bay, car bogs, water in spark plug? (grandman17)

if you had water in the spark plugs chamber and drove the car you need new spark plugs thats the reason for the boggin....same thing happened to me...i had to get a tune up...car is fine now
Old 04-17-2006, 07:04 PM

Ok I will check the distributor cap. Thank you very much.

I thought I covered up the distributor quite well, maybe the Gunk melted the bag and made a tiny hole...
Old 04-17-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Help! Washed engine bay, car bogs, water in spark plug? (hondamonkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondamonkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you had water in the spark plugs chamber and drove the car you need new spark plugs thats the reason for the boggin....same thing happened to me...i had to get a tune up...car is fine now</TD></TR></TABLE>

So water could actually get pass the rubber seal and go inside the chamber? Damn I sure learned a lesson. When I had the D16 the water basically sheet drained off but this is the first time I washed a B series engine.

I will check the whole distributor system. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

spark plug(s)
Old 04-17-2006, 08:33 PM

YOU DEFINATELY NEED TO CLEAN OUT YOUR SPARK PLUGS. MAKE SURE YOU COVER MORE THAN YOU NEED WHEN WASHING YOUR ENGINE. THAT MIGHT COST YOU ALOT OF MONEY IF SOMETHING ELSE IS WRONG.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:37 PM

Tonight, I took out the spark plugs, and the plug wires as well the rotor cap. There were condensation around the plug rubber, spark plug chamber and the spark plugs were dirty. The rotor cap was fine, very dry.

I cleaned the chamber, the wire and the spark plugs, started the car and it went back to where it was before. I did heard a tiny little backfire just after the drive. Regardless, maybe I should change the spark plugs, and the wires and whatnot. Motor is from Japan, I think it could use a tune up.

Thank you all for your help. Deeply appreciated.