Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help w/ hatch's

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help w/ hatch's

Yes i used the pretty red search button already... I know the difference between ej, eg, and ek's, but i dont know what all this ek8 and ek9 is about. I'm about to buy ek hatch. just dont know which to get and which year is the best. not that there is a best but whats the differences if someone could tell me or link me it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: help w/ hatch's (mattyv)

The best one for racing is the EG CX, lightest one they made! No power parts or extra stuff..
Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: help w/ hatch's (mattyv)

You won't have to worry about EK9, EK4, EK3, or EK2 here in the States. Don't worry about it.

You only have two options, a CX or DC (both EJ6). There isn't exactly a 'best' year.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:41 PM

ok so ek9 etc. is all JDM? so which ek? iv only owned eg's is there ek si's?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mattyv)

98-00 si is call em1 and it's a couple...only DX, CX, HX for hatch
Old 01-22-2007, 07:51 PM

so which 1 was most top of the line?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ek9 is the Civic Type R in japan...in the US ppl call their Ek hatch EK9 also bcuzz jdm is kool and they rather call it ek9 rather than Ej6 or Ej8
Old 01-22-2007, 08:07 PM

well i still need to know which EK hatch come's with the sunroof andn has power everything. the little bit of weight isnt importante to me. outta the DX, CX, HX which is most topa the line? if ya wanna call it that
Old 01-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

personally i would say the DX is top of the line from the 3 hatchs...its kinda hard to say wut they come or not come with bcuzz alot of ppl have diff. parts on theirs...i know for a fact that all 3 hatchs does NOT come with a sunroof from the factory unless custom installed..PS, AC can all be installed from the factory so its kinda hard to say which is top of the line...alot of the ppl i noe that has a CX, theirs came with no AC or PS....u can always add on those stuff if u wanted it

My 98 Cx on the other hand came with AC, Power windows, power locks, power folding mirrors, no sunroof, and no PS
Old 01-22-2007, 08:20 PM

now im losing it.. your telling me theres EK's that didnt come with a/c?.. and why would they have sunroof in EG but not EK? hatch this is..
Old 01-22-2007, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think that the only Ek hatch that comes with AC from the factory is the DC model but im not sure cuzz u can get AC in the CX and HX also...and about the sunroof, they DO NOT come with one unless u have one put in by the factory or a custom shop...my cousin had a EK hatch with a custom moonroof put in..it looks ok
Old 01-22-2007, 08:28 PM

CX DX and VX had no sunroofs in the EGs,only the Si version did but thats not good for racing because u have no ridigity at the highest point of the car which is bad.the CX is the lightest of them all so its a better racing base.the DX is the best in general because its got low weight and a better engine but then again you can always swap.I would rather get an Si because it has the best engine of them all,heaviest but has sunroof which is sweet.and VTEC!EK9 is the civic type R 97 in japan.EKs are japanese.EJs are american ones.The VX is really the worst because it has 92 hp stock but it has VTEC-E which i great for fuel economy but has bad performance.the CX has 70hp stock but its consired the worst of them all from the factory because it has no options really.The si had standard mirrors but the other 3 were optional.the dx had 102hp stock but it had some options so its a good track/street car.The Si had a 1.6 liter 125HP engine .So from the factory worst to best would be CX,DX,VX,SI.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:29 PM

sry im dumb. but ur talking about ek's? or ej(96-00) model rite? so ur saying the DX has most options aviable? u kinda jumped around alot
Old 01-22-2007, 10:01 PM

what do you want factory with the car and we can tell you which one to buy. pl, pw, ac, ps. ect.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: (streetracerof06)

Hey,
There are only two ek hatch models. The DX and the CX. The DX has the same motor as the cx in the ek years (I think), although in the 92-95 series they did not. The only noticeable thing that an ek dx has that a cx doesn't is believe it or not a rear windsheild wiper. All in all they are pretty much the same cars. However, 99-00 hatches (CX or DX) have different front ends than 96-98; the 99-00 have fog light cutouts whereas the 96-98 do not. There is no si hatch for 96-00 unfortunately.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:41 AM

1992-1995

Along with acquiring a more aerodynamic wedge-shaped body, the Civic was expanded in dimensions and trim levels for 1992. Wheelbases now measured in at 101.3 inches for the two-door hatchback and 103.2 inches for the four-door sedan. The wagon was dropped.

Trim levels for the hatchback included the CX, DX, VX and Si. The CX was fitted with a 1.5-liter 70-horsepower engine; the DX with a 1.5-liter 102-horsepower engine; the VX with a 92-horsepower 1.5-liter with variable valve timing tuned for economy (VTEC-E); and the Si with a 125-horsepower VTEC engine. The VX, which also came with lightweight alloy wheels, managed fuel economy figures of 48 in the city and 55 on the highway — nearly the same as the old CRX HF in spite of 30 more horsepower and five-passenger capability. Sedans came in the same trim levels as before: DX, LX and EX (which added a power moonroof to its list of standard luxuries). The DX and LX had the 1.5-liter 102-horsepower engine, and the EX sported the 125-horse 1.6 from the Si. A five-speed manual was standard across the board, and a four-speed automatic was optional on the DX hatchback and all sedan models.

The level of safety increased with the new Civic via a standard driver-side airbag for all models and standard antilock (ABS) brakes on the EX sedan.

A two-door notchback coupe, which shared its 103.2-inch wheelbase with the sedan, debuted for 1993 and was offered in DX and EX trim levels. The DX was outfitted the same as the DX hatchback, and the EX coupe had the same features as the EX sedan, including the 125-horse engine and power moonroof. An option package for the EX coupe added a passenger airbag and high-power stereo with cassette player. The EX sedan had a few more items added to its already generous standard features list, including air conditioning and the high-power sound system with cassette player.

Also this year, the del Sol debuted as a belated replacement for the CRX. Built on a wheelbase 8 inches shorter than a Civic hatchback's, the del Sol featured a removable targa-style top, a snug two-seat cockpit and one of two engines, either the 1.5-liter unit with 102 horsepower or the 1.6 sporting 125 ponies, depending on whether one chose the base S or more sporting Si version.

1994 brought safety advances and an LX version of the Civic sedan. A passenger-side airbag became standard on all Civics, and antilock brakes were now optional on the EX coupe, Si hatchback and LX sedan. The new LX sedan filled the gap between the basic DX sedan and loaded-to-the-gills EX. Power windows, locks and mirrors; cruise control; a tachometer; a stereo with cassette player; and 14-inch (versus the DX's 13-inch) tires were all standard on the LX.

On the del Sol front, a new model debuted called the VTEC. Named after its 1.6-liter DOHC engine that boasted a sizzling 160 horsepower, this del Sol came with bigger brakes, a firmer suspension and high-performance (195/60VR14) rubber. Apart from the addition of a passenger airbag, the rest of the del Sol line continued as before.

There were no changes for the 1995 Civics except on the del Sol models, which got a few improvements. Upgrades included standard antilock brakes for the VTEC, power locks for the Si and VTEC, and a remote trunk release for all trim lines.

1996-2000

A revamped Civic lineup debuted for 1996. The new body featured larger light clusters fore and aft, a grille (chrome-accented on sedans) and a crisp character line that ran the length of the car. Hatchbacks now had the 103.2-inch wheelbase of the coupes and sedans, and overall length was up around 2 to 4 inches, depending on body style.

Sedans were again offered in DX, LX and EX trim levels. A new coupe, the HX, joined the DX and EX coupes. The HX coupe essentially replaced the VX hatchback, offering high mileage figures from a fairly powerful engine. The revised VTEC-E engine (now at 1.6 liters) in the HX put out 23 more horsepower (for a total of 115 ponies) than the previous version but now "only" scored mileage figures of 39 in the city and 45 on the highway. A gearless continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) that promised seamless performance and manual-transmission fuel economy was introduced later in the year as an option for the HX. The hatchback lineup was trimmed down to two models, the CX and DX. A new 1.6-liter 106-horsepower engine that earned Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) certification powered the CX, DX and LX, and a slightly more powerful 127-horsepower VTEC-assisted version was found in the EX models.

Excluded from the redesign, the del Sol was now in its fourth year and got a host of tweaks to keep it current. The base model (S) got the new 1.6-liter 106-horse engine fitted to the new Civic, Si models got the beefier suspension of the VTEC, and all versions got a freshened front fascia.

In 1997, all Civics came with 14-inch wheels, DX models got full wheel covers, the LX sedan received air conditioning and, strangely, EX coupes with manual transmissions no longer had the option of antilock brakes. As this would be the last year for the del Sol, Honda made no changes.

Not much happened in 1998, save for new wheel covers, an exterior handle for hatchbacks and the addition of map lights.

A slightly revised front fascia and taillights, along with redesigned climate controls updated the Civic for 1999. A "Value Package" for the DX sedan debuted that included features that most buyers wanted, such as air conditioning, a CD player, power door locks, automatic transmission and keyless entry, at a substantial savings when compared to the separate option prices.

Midway through the year to the joy of pocket-rocket enthusiasts everywhere, the Civic Si returned, now in the coupe body style and sporting a potent 160 horsepower from its 1.6-liter VTEC engine. A firmer suspension, front strut tower brace, 15-inch alloy wheels wearing 195/55R15 rubber and four-wheel disc brakes completed the hardware upgrades for the Si. A front spoiler, side sills and subtle bodyside graphics set the Si apart from the other Civic coupes, and the standard equipment was generous and similar to that of the EX.

Other than the shuffling of paint choices, the Civic stood pat for the year 2000.

Current Generation

The biggest news is the availability of a Hybrid Civic sedan, which has a more powerful gas/electric powerplant system than in Honda's groundbreaking Insight. This environmentally friendly vehicle offers the room and comfort of a Civic sedan with mileage estimates of 46 mpg in the city and 51 mpg on the highway. Although Toyota brought out its four-door Prius hybrid a few years prior to this Civic's debut, Honda loyalists now have a practical hybrid they can call their own.

There are now three body styles to choose from: coupe, sedan and hatchback. Conservative styling for the sedan and a slightly more aggressive approach for the coupe help to differentiate these two body styles, while the hatchback presents a snub-nosed, city-car look. The hatch is only available as the sporty 160-horsepower Si, while the others are available in familiar DX, HX (coupe only), LX and EX trim levels.

A more spacious cabin features Honda's trademark large, simple controls but greater use of hard plastic trim seems to indicate that the company may be resting on its laurels a bit.

The newest Civics ride on a stiffer platform that decreases chassis flex and thus provides better handling and increased crash protection. But to the chagrin of hard-core enthusiasts, Honda replaced the front double-wishbone suspension setup with a more space-efficient McPherson-strut setup, which isn't as easy to "slam" (lower) as the double-wishbone design. Steering now boasts a quicker ratio along with variable power assist, which makes parking easier while allowing more road feel and response during spirited driving.

Under the hood, the engine's size has been increased slightly (from 1.6 to 1.7 liters) to provide more torque, and transmissions were tweaked for improved shifter feel and greater efficiency.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:10 AM

yea i would like power locks, windows, mirrors etc
Old 01-23-2007, 08:25 AM

this style http://memimage.cardomain.net/...8.jpg

sry i dunno how to post pics.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattyv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this style http://memimage.cardomain.net/...8.jpg

sry i dunno how to post pics.</TD></TR></TABLE>

copy the link of the picture, click the mountain and sun logo when u post,its next to the Bold,Italic and underline and the world logos....paste the link bewteen
Old 01-23-2007, 08:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattyv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this style http://memimage.cardomain.net/...8.jpg

sry i dunno how to post pics.</TD></TR></TABLE>

copy the link of the picture, click the mountain and sun logo when u post,its next to the Bold,Italic and underline and the world logos....paste the link bewteen [IMG]paste it here!![IMG]
Old 01-23-2007, 09:56 AM

Default Re: (Felliph3)

Old 01-23-2007, 09:57 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Felliph3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Felliph3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> [IMG]paste it here!![IMG]</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ending tag is [/IMG] ... you forgot the slashie.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:21 PM

so the EJ6 D16Y7 USDM All 3-door CX/DX which came fully loaded? either of them vtec?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The ending tag is [/IMG] ... you forgot the slashie.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually i took it out cuz otherwise it would view paste here and a picture and it wouldnt work.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattyv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so the EJ6 D16Y7 USDM All 3-door CX/DX which came fully loaded? either of them vtec?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No EKs are fully loaded. The DX has more stuff than the CX, generally.

The D16Y7 motor is non-vtec.

however you can do head swaps/motor swaps/etc/etc.

People want hatchies because they are lightweight and they have the potential to be quick after major power is added, due to power weight ratio. They don't buy them because they are fully loaded. They buy them cause they are gutted.....and SEXY =X haha

Quick Reply: help w/ hatch's