Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help urgent!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help urgent!

hey guys i just bought 4 si wheels and today i got it installs. After driving it, i hear and feel this rough rumbling on the right side of my car. I dun know why i am feeling it please help explain this plz.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: help urgent! (Tensa_Zangetsu)

Are you sure that torqued the lugs down to the proper specs?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tires unbalanced? knot on the tire?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:59 PM

i dont think it was tire unbalance because i was only driving 20mph around my neighborhood and my steering wheel was steady
Old 11-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a wheel bearing to me, does the noise sound like your rolling around on tires made out of rocks? if it does then that sounds like a wheel bearing.

check your lugs make sure theyre tight. if they are. jack up the front wheel and spin it. if the bearing is THAT bad then youll hear it. it will sound like a rough grinding noise.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:07 PM

ill be sure to try that method tomorrow prettylew. But my tire treads are really good about 95 % hope it isnt the case.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tensa_Zangetsu)

tire treads dont mean anything, a wheel bearing as nothin to do with the wheels u got. the wheel bearing is inside your hub behind your rotor.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh and it could be the tires you have! what kind of tires are they? because if the noise just showed up after u installed the wheels. then its possible that those tires are just alot noisier than the tires u had.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:22 PM

there brand name of the tires are kuhmo i think thats how u spell it.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if u can still hear the noise at slow speed then the tire tread isnt the problem. noisy tires are noticeable at highway speed.

but if this is a loud noise that u can feel im willing to bet its a wheel bearing, which again has NOTHING to do with the wheels you just bought. might just be a coincidence that your bearing took a crap on you right after u swapped wheels.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:28 PM

so lets say if it was wheel bearing what can i do to help solve this CRISIS lol
Old 11-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

replace the wheel bearing.

you need to remove the wheel, remove the big axle nut in the middle of the hub, then remove the tie rod from the hub assembly. then remove the upper and lower ball joints, and dont forget to take off the brake caliper and rotor, then take the assembly to a shop and have the old bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in.

if you are not handy with cars i do not reccomend you do it!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:10 PM

dude i just hope it isnt wheel bearing cus i just looked that thing up and its expensive as hell!
Old 11-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it wasn't making this sound before you switched wheels and it began making the sound immediately after, it's probably not the wheel bearing. Have you checked the brake rotor dust shield to see if it got bent into contact with the rotor? Have you checked for rocks between the rotor and the dust shield? Did you do anything else to the car before the noise began?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:23 PM

what car do you have? may be you need some wheel hub adapters
Old 11-22-2007, 09:28 PM

"If it wasn't making this sound before you switched wheels and it began making the sound immediately after, it's probably not the wheel bearing. Have you checked the brake rotor dust shield to see if it got bent into contact with the rotor? Have you checked for rocks between the rotor and the dust shield? Did you do anything else to the car before the noise began? "

no i havent check those. And no i didnt do anything else to the car before the noise began. All i did was just simply switching wheels. Any possible it could be cus of the camber wear in the wheels?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:29 PM

i have a 96 dx coupe civic
Old 11-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

camber doesnt wear tires. incorrect toe does.

but no uneven wear will not cause this noise
Old 11-22-2007, 09:38 PM

did you use a torque wrench to torque the lugs? maybe you overtightened some of the studs and broke them.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tensa_Zangetsu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i havent check those. And no i didnt do anything else to the car before the noise began. All i did was just simply switching wheels. Any possible it could be cus of the camber wear in the wheels?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

1.) check the brake rotor area for damage or signs of your mental retardation seeping into the metal.

2.) where did you put the jack in order to lift the car off the ground?

3.) did you use a torque wrench when you put the wheels back on?

4.) what language do you speak other than English? Feel free to post in that one if you're having trouble getting your point across, because God knows I'm having trouble trying to understand it.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:43 PM

no i didnt use a torque wrench to tighten the lugs. I doubt thats the problem...
Old 11-22-2007, 09:54 PM

"1.) check the brake rotor area for damage or signs of your mental retardation seeping into the metal.

4.) what language do you speak other than English? Feel free to post in that one if you're having trouble getting your point across, because God knows I'm having trouble trying to understand it. "

Why do u ask stupid questions. Does it ******* matters where i put the jack when i lift the car off the ground. I know how to use a jack u jackass and what part of the car to lift. And trust me buddy i can speak english more fluently than you.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:03 PM

ok... where did you get the wheels from? new? used? maybe the person sold them to you because one of them is bent. take them off and see if the middle of all the wheels look the same. some times its hard to tell.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tensa_Zangetsu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"1.) check the brake rotor area for damage or signs of your mental retardation seeping into the metal.

4.) what language do you speak other than English? Feel free to post in that one if you're having trouble getting your point across, because God knows I'm having trouble trying to understand it. "

Why do u ask stupid questions. Does it ******* matters where i put the jack when i lift the car off the ground. I know how to use a jack u jackass and what part of the car to lift. And trust me buddy i can speak english more fluently than you.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont believe he was trying to attack you.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tensa_Zangetsu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"1.) check the brake rotor area for damage or signs of your mental retardation seeping into the metal.

Why do u ask stupid questions. Does it ******* matters where i put the jack when i lift the car off the ground. I know how to use a jack u jackass and what part of the car to lift. And trust me buddy i can speak english more fluently than you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Trust me when I tell you you CANNOT speak/type better English than he can.

It's only what he does for a living 'n all...and he's quite efficient at it...

Also, he wasn't attacking you, he was helping you, though in a blunt way, though it was still help. He was definitely suggesting commonly overlooked problems.

Hey man, my friend's F150 was making a weird *** wobble in turns, and I couldn't pin-point it, so I said let's jack up the truck and check to make sure the dust shield isn't rubbing on the rotor. Turns out his wheel was a bit loose, re-tightened the lugs and it rode like a charm. So yes, common things are often overlooked, especially if they're obvious.

So suck up your pride and look at the obvious.

As for my help...:
I'd say it's a balancing problem. You said it only happens at 20mph therefore you ruled it out - that sounds like bullshit to me. You put the tires on the rims and just slapped them on, that was that, no weights? You don't need to feel it in the steering wheel for it to be out of balance, especially if it's in the rear, you'll feel it in your *** and depending on how soft your seats are they'll act as bushings for this.

&gt; Get your tires balanced, when they're balanced, they'll also be easily seen if they're out of round, that would cause quite an interesting feeling (much like a wheel out of balance), I've seen it tons of times.
&gt; Do you have a drop on it? If so, a camber kit? Either way, get a 4 wheel alignment.
&gt; Before you do any of that stuff check basics, check that your shoes/pads aren't rubbing, check that your rotors/drums aren't warped, check that your lugs are tight.

I doubt it's anything out of the realm of those three if this **** started as soon as you put the new rims on.

Also,

&gt; Did you put the old rim back on and the noise/vibration/whatever go away? Might wanna do that to make sure.

Quick Reply: help urgent!