Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help with Trans flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Icon2 help with Trans flush

can some 1 help/guide me into doing a tranny flush.
i believe that it is over due since i have not flushed it.
and i do not know when the last time the previous owner did it so yea.

HELP PLEASE!
Old 12-18-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the passenger side, there is a circle with a square in it, where you will put a 3/8 inch drive wrench. Use an extension so you can get leverage from outside the wheel well. Turn counter-clockwise and fluid will pour out, catch in an approved oil container and recycle it.

Clean metal shavings off magnetic drain plug, reattach. I do not know the torque setting off hand.

Manual transmission: Remove the Vehicle Speed Sensor and fill 1.9 quarts (some transmissions vary, research this for your particular transmission) of transmission fluid of choice. (Honda OEM, Redline, GM Synchromesh, 10W-30)
Automatic transmission: Remove dipstick and get long-necked funnel. Pour in 2.7 quarts of transmission fluid of choice. (Honda OEM, Valvoline, ...)

Reattach vehicle speed sensor [M/T], or reinsert dipstick [A/T] and go through the gears without moving the car. Drive away.

Note: This is the "drain and fill" method as opposed to "flush" as the thread title states. A full "flush" will have to be done professionally with heavy equipment, but I assume drain/fill is what you mean.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Davus
On the passenger side, there is a circle with a square in it, where you will put a 3/8 inch drive wrench. Use an extension so you can get leverage from outside the wheel well. Turn counter-clockwise and fluid will pour out, catch in an approved oil container and recycle it.

Clean metal shavings off magnetic drain plug, reattach. I do not know the torque setting off hand.

Manual transmission: Remove the Vehicle Speed Sensor and fill 1.9 quarts (some transmissions vary, research this for your particular transmission) of transmission fluid of choice. (Honda OEM, Redline, GM Synchromesh, 10W-30)
Automatic transmission: Remove dipstick and get long-necked funnel. Pour in 2.7 quarts of transmission fluid of choice. (Honda OEM, Valvoline, ...)

Reattach vehicle speed sensor [M/T], or reinsert dipstick [A/T] and go through the gears without moving the car. Drive away.

Note: This is the "drain and fill" method as opposed to "flush" as the thread title states. A full "flush" will have to be done professionally with heavy equipment, but I assume drain/fill is what you mean.

there's you a good how too
now
buy him a beer
Old 12-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: help with Trans flush

thanks davus!
id buy you a beer but im 19. also im unemployed due to the damn economy. damn bush!

well thanks again