Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help on tranny swap on B-series

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 04:05 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on tranny swap on B-series

I have a 1998 CR-V with a B20 5speed. It revs 4K@80mph. I would like to know if I could put a different tranny out of an integra or other that would mate this motor and still fit the axles and shifter. It would be great if the RPM's would be 3K or less @ 80mph. Is it possible to just change the differential? I plan on making it a VTECH or dropping in a LS/VTECH so it needs to be strong as well. Anybody that can help would be appreciated. I am pretty sure all B-series transmissions will fit the engine, I am just not so sure of the integration to the vehicle.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:19 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help on tranny swap on B-series

The stock b20 crv transmission already has very tall gears for highway driving. If you happened to find another b transmission with slightly better gearing, I don't think you'd notice the change. Btw, it's vtec.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:25 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

That seems very high for a CRV - mine doesn't even get close to 4K at 80 unless I'm heading up a hill.

Oh, wait, you said yours is a 5 speed... In that case, you've got just about the longest B series transmission out there. From what I've heard, the B20 transmission has a slightly wider bellhousing than other B series trannys because the CRV is a slightly wider car. You can't just swap in another B series transmission. When I pulled a CRV engine/transmission, it definitely looked wider. You may be able to swap LS guts into a CRV bellhousing, but then you'd lose 4WD if you have it.

You may be able to swap the final drive, but it's probably 4.4 like the other B series. I can't imagine it being shorter.

I don't think anyone's tried this before. I would recommend looking at Helms manuals for the CRV and Integre. It should tell you what the final drives are.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:28 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
That seems very high for a CRV - mine doesn't even get close to 4K at 80 unless I'm heading up a hill.

Oh, wait, you said yours is a 5 speed... In that case, you've got just about the longest B series transmission out there. From what I've heard, the B20 transmission has a slightly wider bellhousing than other B series trannys because the CRV is a slightly wider car. You can't just swap in another B series transmission. When I pulled a CRV engine/transmission, it definitely looked wider. You may be able to swap LS guts into a CRV bellhousing, but then you'd lose 4WD if you have it.

You may be able to swap the final drive, but it's probably 4.4 like the other B series. I can't imagine it being shorter.
First of all, what is the connection between the crv being a "wider car" and having a wider transmission?

99% positive that you've been misinformed. The crv b20 is the same bolt pattern as other b series motors. Any b series tranny will work. Buut it has to be a fwd model, not 4wd.