Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP .....tranny...gear getting stuck ..will not go into any gear's while running

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP .....tranny...gear getting stuck ..will not go into any gear's while running

well it's actually a integra but civic forum is better the integra forum

car 95 gsr

driving down freeway down shifted to 4th slowing traffic then trying to put it back to 5th would not go tried to putting in to other gear's wouldn't go in-to any other gear's also pulled over and stop...turn off the car gear's seem to be working fine when car is off started the car again would not go in to and gear's ....then turned the car off again put in to second gear let the clutch engage then it started to drive ...

waited about an hour the car seems to be working fine...drove for another 10 minutes same thing again would not go in-to gear......

any help would be nice.....since the car is across the border (in Canada ) so i am limited to tool's up there....so i want to know what all i can check for just so i can bring it back to my house besides' paying to get it towed back home

thanks
UPDATE .
well me and lil bro (777sc) pulled it out in about an hour (not even my car) .. it's turned out to be the spring for those who don't know how this happens' look at the pic.....funnt thing is my buddy had a same problem with his sol and i fixed it about a year ago ..i think i'm just getting too old...can't remember ****

THANKS FOR ALL UR HELP GUY'S

Modified by drevinder at 12:22 AM 12/27/2004
Old 12-25-2004, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP .....tranny...gear getting stuck ..will not go into any gear's while running (drevinder)

well, it's one of two things.

a) something in the clutch release system [master, slave, line or fluid]. make sure that your clutch fluid rezzy is full and bleed the system. just like you blleed brakes. have someone pump the clutch pedal and then hold it to the floor. crack the bleeder open and then close it. check the fluid level and repeat until no air comes out of the slave cylinder.

b) the clutch. when the clutch starts to go shifting becomes difficult. if you properly bleed the system and still have shifting problems it is the clutch itself. the good news, you only need the clutch to start and stop so you can drive you car to your destination to get it repaired...

Old 12-25-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Re: HELP .....tranny...gear getting stuck ..will not go into any gear's while running (drevinder)

My little Bro. had that situation before. It was his Clutch. That little spring on the clutch poped out so that why you couldn't shift it into gear. My sugestion is that you should change your clutch.

Old 12-25-2004, 11:01 AM

Default Re: HELP .....tranny...gear getting stuck ..will not go into any gear's while running (92_EGhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92_EGhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My little Bro. had that situation before. It was his Clutch. That little spring on the clutch poped out so that why you couldn't shift it into gear. My sugestion is that you should change your clutch.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I second that...or maybe your shift fork is bent. Do you really shift hard into gears?? The springs bust like he^ said and then they wont go in gear, it happened to my friend too but it was a prelude.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your clutch is gone or is about to go out

or

you bent a shift fork which could soon shatter...
so either way u are about to fork out some cash
Old 12-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

the car is never really hit into gears hard .... i just bought it about 3 months ago ...

i hope its not the fork but i guess ill just go and tell today ... i hope its just low fluids somewhere
Old 12-25-2004, 04:17 PM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: (777sC)

It's definitely your clutch and not the tranny, but what spring is everyone talking about??
Old 12-26-2004, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (00Red_SiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 00Red_SiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's definitely your clutch and not the tranny, but what spring is everyone talking about??</TD></TR></TABLE>

there are 4 springs on the clutch disk [the friction disk]. when the metal of the disk begins to fatique the springs can "hang out" and they drag on the flywheel and or pressure plate [clutch cover] regarless of the clutch being disengaged hence not being able to shift...

if the pitcure shows, they speak of the springs on the clutch disk [top of picture]. this particular clutch has 6 springs...

i have seen the springs on the pressure plates busted off too [the fingers]. but not often... you'll hear those rattling around when they snap tho... lol
Old 12-26-2004, 04:41 PM

whooh there now... i just bought a 93 Civic hatch that needs a new "Tranny" the guy said; so im about to buy a new transmission; because when i put it in neutral and slowly let off the clutch i hear a bad griding noise EVEN IN NEUTRAL. when putting the car on the flatbed i heard some griding noise when pushing the car back so im still guessing its the transmission. I tried to drive it by, of course, putting it in first gear but the car doesnt move and it sounds like the e-brake is up and your trying to drive. And like this guy i cant put it in 5th gear but all the other gears are fine soooo... is it the clutch or the transmission?

o and also when putting it in neutral and letting off the clutch its kinda like having it in gear and letting off the clutch with no gas... the engine is about to cut off
Old 12-26-2004, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Modified by drevinder at 12:21 AM 12/27/2004
Old 12-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (777sC)

ha, welcome to the leaking clutch master cylinder club!

been there done that. Good luck. And check for leaks near the firewall.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:45 AM

Default Re: (maxheat)

Well in that kind of situation i think it's the tranny that's **** up. 80% that it's the Tranny and 20% that it's the clutch. But never know untill you take off your tranny.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92_EGhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92_EGhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well in that kind of situation i think it's the tranny that's **** up. 80% that it's the Tranny and 20% that it's the clutch. But never know untill you take off your tranny. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you read the update it tells you what it was ....

car is already back together with a ITR clutch installed .....

thanks for the help peoples ...