Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help taking head off my b16a2... (si)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad news on Hydro-Locked SI. HELP

Hey guys. Im working on taking my head off my motor. I Have a book but i wanted to see if anyone had any good links on a good tutorial or anything or if anyone has any tips. so far i jus ttook the wheel off, splash guard and cam cover off. Let me know id really appreciate it. I also need to set my first piston to tdc. im aware.

How can i reach tdc if my motor wont move btw? I havent put a breaker bar onto the crank shaft yet. and is it hard as F*** to even see the pointers that line everything up?

Modified by sinolimitssi at 6:40 PM 2/24/2005

Modified by sinolimitssi at 8:13 PM 2/24/2005
Old 02-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help taking head off my b16a2... (sinolimitssi)

really,the easiest thing to tell you is to go by the book.go to the procedure for setting TDC.you can pull the valve cover off so you can see the marks on the cam gears,and you can use the white mark on the crank pulley to align to the pointer on the timing belt cover.you can use a breaker bar to turn the crank.then to the sections on removing any accessories you may need to(power steering pump or intake manifold/exhaust manifold for example),then on to actually removing the head.
if you need any help along the way let us know.
Chris
Old 02-24-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Help taking head off my b16a2... (TeamNextGenChris)

Thank god *it let me post again not at limit* Ok well if you guys didnt know the reason im taking it off is because i hydro locked it and its locked up. Well... i was turning the crank shaft to see if i could get her to move. IIt moved. I thought it was tottaly locked. but it moves. it moves and it movies and it locks up at this one spot. Like it hits something. My frist thought *stuck valve/bent* well if that was the case it would get locked in the SAME exact spot everytime i want a turn one way and back. And it was the case i was excited to know that maybe its not in the low end. But as i keep rotating it just to keep checking i find that it gets stuck almost randomly. i can turn it one way for a turn and a half on the crank shaft (or so) and then hit, when i go the other direction, i hit with maybe a quarter turn... Thats probably not a valve anymore is it. And maybe my ears fool me but as i spin the crank shaft when i can for a full turn i almost hear something hitting the bottom of the motor near the oil pan. Maybe its just me and maybe its just the cams pushing on the valve springs but it really sounds like somehting is off or loose down there and its wierd. *what it is that i picture is a rod snapped and hangs up on some things but as i turn it it gets loose then when i go back the other way it wont let me because it hits a contour that holds it up. This is no good. Im really thinking the problem is in the bottom end afterall and thats something i cant fix myself.

Suggestions, comments thanks guys.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Help taking head off my b16a2... (sinolimitssi)

anyone know how much a honda shop will charge or what?