Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!!! Stuck at WOT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!!! (still) getting Stuck at WOT!!!

Yep, motor keeps getting stuck at WOT.

What is causing this?

Help a brother out...

It's a GSR swap btw.

Modified by 93EGB18C1 at 8:19 PM 12/19/2006
Old 12-18-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throttle cable is getting stuck. Which throttle cable are you using for the swap? its in a 93 EG i'd assume, correct?

Others on here should have good ideas on keeping that from happening. Believe it or not..its somewhat common. And as you know, VERY dangerous.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

sounds like fun! jk, There is s coil located rite on the throttle body, where the cable connects it, spray that really good with WD40, also disconnect the throttle cable check to see if it has free play (not getting pinched).
Old 12-18-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: HELP!!! Stuck at WOT!!! (93EGB18C1)

Yep, throttle cable issue.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!! Stuck at WOT!!! (93EGB18C1)

You can buy throttle cable lub at any motorcycle store/shop which should definitly help free up any binding, unless of course you have a sharp bend or kink in the cable which you will have to straighten.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Throttle cable is getting stuck. Which throttle cable are you using for the swap? its in a 93 EG i'd assume, correct?

Others on here should have good ideas on keeping that from happening. Believe it or not..its somewhat common. And as you know, VERY dangerous. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, it's in a 93 EG. Not sure what throttle cable I'm using. And expletive yea it's dangerous.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2wheelhunter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like fun! jk, There is s coil located rite on the throttle body, where the cable connects it, spray that really good with WD40, also disconnect the throttle cable check to see if it has free play (not getting pinched).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just finished doing this, I'm going to go for a drive and see if it helped.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93EGB18C1)

i hope you dont kill urself... WOT is dangerous lol
Old 12-18-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: (2wheelhunter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2wheelhunter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope you dont kill urself... WOT is dangerous lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously! That would scare the hell out of me.

To the OP...were you driving when it got stuck? If so..for future reference for others, what did you do to stop it? I can think of a few ways myself, but I'm curious as to what you did.

You obviously did something right if you're still alive
Old 12-18-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check the end of the cable where it hooks to the throttle body, you should see a black boot covering the end of the cable sheathing, alot of times the tip of that boot will rip off and when you go WOT the tip gets lodged between the reel and the cable and not allowing the throttle body to close, check it out.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the end of the cable where it hooks to the throttle body, you should see a black boot covering the end of the cable sheathing, alot of times the tip of that boot will rip off and when you go WOT the tip gets lodged between the reel and the cable and not allowing the throttle body to close, check it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very good info.

I never thought about the little boot, as I know exactly what you're talking about. Now that you mention it, I should go make sure mine is in good condition as this is one of the worst things that can happen mechanically while driving as far as personal hazards go.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Seriously! That would scare the hell out of me.

To the OP...were you driving when it got stuck? If so..for future reference for others, what did you do to stop it? I can think of a few ways myself, but I'm curious as to what you did.

You obviously did something right if you're still alive </TD></TR></TABLE>

It was definatley some scary ****. I was leaving a stop-light, then bam, needle was burried at 9k.
Shifted, tripped out, popped it into neutral, turned the key to off, coasted till I came to a stop, and then i checked my pants for any wet spots.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2wheelhunter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope you dont kill urself... WOT is dangerous lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Still alive. I think spraying that coil on the TB helped. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the end of the cable where it hooks to the throttle body, you should see a black boot covering the end of the cable sheathing, alot of times the tip of that boot will rip off and when you go WOT the tip gets lodged between the reel and the cable and not allowing the throttle body to close, check it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good info, as far as I can tell, that boot is still intact.
I don't think the problem was with the cable.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had my throttle hang up on some old floor mats i had, took me a couple seconds to figure it out, there long gone now though....

we were putting nitrous on a friends car, like 5 years ago. We were out testing, and the throttle hung up on the wide open switch, haha, that was shitty. Quick disarmn nitrough, turn ignition off, loose power everything, turns ignition back on, so he can turn, then turns it off again. Best part, he lived pretty much in the ghetto, i was calm though, got out knew exactly what happened, fixed it, and said slow the rest of the way
Old 12-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, it did it again.

I was out today driving around pretty cautiously, when I came to a straight stretch of road. Figured I'd floor and see if the throttle got hung up again. It did.

I didn't even have to floor it, I pressed the gas pedal down maybe about half way when all of a sudden my need surged toward redline. I shifted through it to get to an area where I could pull over, then killed the car and coasted to the side.

I popped the hood, took a look at the throttle and it was at WOT. Tried moving it but it wouldn't budge. Got back in the car and just kept stomping on the gas pedal. It eventually released. But now, everytime I even give it a little gas it goes right to locking up at WOT.

Seriously, what is causing this. It's realy uncomforting to drive like this.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:19 PM

take your throttle body apart and grease everything up, and tighten everything down to spec.

try that
Old 12-19-2006, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93eg2james)

Any good write-up on this?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93EGB18C1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, it did it again.

I was out today driving around pretty cautiously, when I came to a straight stretch of road. Figured I'd floor and see if the throttle got hung up again. It did.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you lube it up or anything since you made this post? If you did and it still does it, I dont know what other options you have short of a replacement. Hopefully other members will.

If you did NOT lube it up yet...I'd definitely do that ASAP as I'm sure you're aware...thats VERY dangerous! I do NOT want to see another ufckin thread about an knowledgable Honda-Tech member dying over something petty!!!!!

Get it done brotha ASAP!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Suspetise...

I think it's weird that it's going to WOT from partial throttle. If it was just sticking, it'd stay stuck at partial throttle. Is the spring on the TB maybe broken or something?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure there isn't a sock stuck in the TB, happened to me.........no joke!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (electric-boost)

I lubed the spring. I just don't understand why it's going from partial to wide open.

I'll be "trying" to take apart the TB tomorrow, to see if anything is wedged in there or what not. I've never messed with the TB before so, yea...

I just want to know if it's the cable or the TB.When it is stuck at WOT, it's impossible to close, unless I rank on the pedal. It's like it get's locked in full throttle mode. Freaks me out...
Old 12-19-2006, 08:38 PM

take the cable off of the throttle body and try moving the butterfly manually to see if everything is smooth.. if that checks out ok..
im not familiar with GSR's in EG's, more with EF's but you could possibly have the wrong cable to begin with.. (if someone wants to clear that up feel free) did this happen when you originally did the swap? or just all of a sudden?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93EGB18C1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I lubed the spring. I just don't understand why it's going from partial to wide open.

I'll be "trying" to take apart the TB tomorrow, to see if anything is wedged in there or what not. I've never messed with the TB before so, yea...

I just want to know if it's the cable or the TB.When it is stuck at WOT, it's impossible to close, unless I rank on the pedal. It's like it get's locked in full throttle mode. Freaks me out... </TD></TR></TABLE>

So when it sticks...even if your pedal is at partial throttle....it definitely shoots to WOT and sticks? Thats crazy odd man.

I wish I could help you more brotha. Good luck..and please be safe trying out methods without putting yourself in any danger.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdeemseerx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take the cable off of the throttle body and try moving the butterfly manually to see if everything is smooth.. if that checks out ok..
im not familiar with GSR's in EG's, more with EF's but you could possibly have the wrong cable to begin with.. (if someone wants to clear that up feel free) did this happen when you originally did the swap? or just all of a sudden?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've been driving it for a while and never had any problems w/ the cable.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So when it sticks...even if your pedal is at partial throttle....it definitely shoots to WOT and sticks? Thats crazy odd man.

I wish I could help you more brotha. Good luck..and please be safe trying out methods without putting yourself in any danger. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea, it's really strange.

I'll try and stay safe bra, good thing my brakes aren't acting up.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:03 AM

just a thought...but.. you cant duplicate the problem without driving?

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Stuck at WOT!!!