Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP:starting probs

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP:starting probs

OKAY, to get to the point.. just bought a del sol, little mini in it. well pulled over this morning to check my tires and had the car turned off... got back in and tried cranking it, and it wouldn't start... usually when u crank it over and u hear a tick(all power dies) it's the cables to the battery. but it didn't do that. power stayed on and it just didn't turn over... well chick i bought it from said the starter isn't really good so she usually gives it a little tap on the side(even tho she said it was a new starter). i did that for a while, checked the wires on it and nothing... sat for a 10-15 mins figuring things out.. took the positive cable off and back on, and it started.. weird.. well that happened to me all last weekend and still til this day. checked everything... tried to take the starter off but the guys that changed the last starter stripped the bottom bolt like where it's just completely stripped... anywase to get to the point, i checked all cable lines, battery lines, fuses, etc.. nothing.. my friend and i pushed start it off in second, pop the clutch and it starts, every time. so i dont know... can it be the starter??? i really hope not, cause its gonna be a bitch to take that bottom bolt off. im hoping its like a bad battery cable line or some sort, cause this one tech at this shop said it can be. then again it can be anything. any ideas???
Old 11-01-2006, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP:starting probs (h23vtec_dc2)

still having this problem. can anyone help?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like either a bad starter or it's your flywheel. since the power came on im leaning away from the battery and alt area. if you can take the starter off, you can run it to advance auto or autozone and have them test it, or there may be a fusable link between the battery and starter that might be loose.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:03 PM

usally when somebody said hit the starter that means its bad could be a autozone refurbished one.or also check if you can borrow a main relay from a friend or someone if that has anything to do with it probably not i am 80% sure it is the starter.that is common thing on refurbished parts to go bad
Old 11-01-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Re: HELP:starting probs (f20b eg)

get a pack of bolt outs, and a new starter
Old 11-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP:starting probs (Project_DX)

oh yea, first thing i wanted to change was the starter... prob is, the bottom bolt is like fully stripped out, where i can't even get to it.. the top one was soooo tyte on there that im sure the bottom one will have to be broken off for sure. but yea im asking incase it can be something else... any other ideas?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say your battery needs a charge, it can still have power and not click over. But the factor is that you need a certian amount of cranking amps to start the car. I'd say go get a charge somewhere like at schucks/kragen/autozone whatever, and that'll be your best bet. If I were in your position I'd start by checking the charging system first, from the fuses, battery post, battery, alternator wires/alternator and so on. Don't check the system *** backwards it'll be spendy in the long run.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP:starting probs (damnraz)

yea i know what you mean... then again i was thinking bout just taking it to the shop and tell them to take that lower bolt off the starter first... cost was 75 bux an hour.. which i was like hell no. but might as well. or, just get a new tranny since third gear grinds. i haven't been into hondas for awhile now, that i forgot if ur required to take the starter off to take the tranny out?

and yea, chick i bought it from just recently bought a new battery... its sorta a smaller one tho.. does that make a difference?
Old 11-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that smaller battery should work fine if it has the same cranking amps as your older one. Yes you do have to take the starter out to remove the transmission.