Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help with a speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a speeding ticket

I got a speeding ticket. I was going 88 in a 65 so 23 over the limit. He also wrote no proof of insurance, but I do have insurance I just was scared and didnt know what papers to show him. He told me to take my proof to the judge on my court date and he will dismiss that charge. But my question was I just got a letter saying I own $1010! Does that seem right for the speeding ticket? Or is it adding up the cost of the ticket and no proof of insurance?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help with a speeding ticket

lol that IS too much for a speeding ticket.

odds are the proof of insurance fine is on there, thats why he said you'd have to have the judge dismiss it. it'd be smart to also bring any documents showing you had insurance at the time (statement with insurance payment of that month)

but you shouldnt be paying more than 100$ for a speeding ticket (in chicago at least. and its usually not a problem if cops catch you goin no more than 10mph over
Old 07-16-2009, 08:22 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Here is my situation.

I bought the car a little over a month ago. I was under my dads insurance at the time. When I got pulled over it was less than a month after I bought the car (I was still under my dads insurance. Me not my car) I got my own insurance AFTER I got pulled over. How will this play out?
Old 07-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

then your car wasnt insured (you were insured, but under your dad's policy, and whatever cars are under that policy, your car isnt)

in chicago, if you got insurance between the day you got pulled over - your court date, you usually only pay half of the fine.

but a "driving uninsured" (cars not insured) 1000$ is WAYYY too much for just that
Old 07-16-2009, 08:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Linked
then your car wasnt insured (you were insured, but under your dad's policy, and whatever cars are under that policy, your car isnt)

in chicago, if you got insurance between the day you got pulled over - your court date, you usually only pay half of the fine.

but a "driving uninsured" (cars not insured) 1000$ is WAYYY too much for just that
Well im assuming the $1010 is for speeding AND no insurance, I live in california. Ugh I guess half is better than nothing....
Old 07-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a speeding ticket should not be over 200$ ANYWHERE,

but the no insurance thing is a question you should ask on yahoo answers. (or it may already be answered)
Old 07-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Vietnamese!

You should have gotten a Non-Policy owner meaning that you can drive any car as long as its insured.

Like for example i have a car that is under my sister name and insurance under her name but i went to a different insurance and got a Non-Policy owner which i can drive ANYONE car that is insured.

But yea just bring the proof of insurance of your dad to the judge and see what they say.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by farkiller
Well im assuming the $1010 is for speeding AND no insurance, I live in california. Ugh I guess half is better than nothing....
That, or hire an attorney and have the possibility of getting it dropped and not getting a huge hit to your driving record..(I did this) I got clocked 60+ in a 45, and i hired an attorney and in my mind, id rather spend money on the lawyer, than get points and the fine..
Old 07-16-2009, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

usually if you bring your parent or anything, you have a chance with sympathy with the car

with a simple "i thought my car insured since i am"
Old 07-16-2009, 08:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Mr. Giggles
That, or hire an attorney and have the possibility of getting it dropped and not getting a huge hit to your driving record..(I did this) I got clocked 60+ in a 45, and i hired an attorney and in my mind, id rather spend money on the lawyer, than get points and the fine..
Not getting a point will be easy it says right on the the courtesy notice, in order to attend traffic school...

1. Have not attended traffic school within the last 18 months - I havent, this is my first ticket

2. Has a valid drivers license at the time of the violation - Mine is valid

3. Not cited for driving 25MPH over posted speed limtit - I was driving 23 over

4. You must provide proof of corrections plus remit a $25.00 proof of correction transaction fee per count if the alleged citation has correctable violations. - I can pay the $25

Im just worried about paying the amount, I work part time/minimum wage and my loan payment (for the car) is $200/month my insurance if $130/month and food and gas and stuff. i heard you can make payments on a ticket, is that true?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:20 PM

dude they're the cops. On tickets is gives you a range. Like say in his case it was anywhere from $200-$1250 and the dooshbag gave him a high priced ticket. Probably included the no proof of insurance in there. Well good luck with the whole switching insurance's thing. Doesn't look good. Say you're sorry and you won't do it again and if not a blow job helps
Old 07-16-2009, 09:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by pemd5555
dude they're the cops. On tickets is gives you a range. Like say in his case it was anywhere from $200-$1250 and the dooshbag gave him a high priced ticket. Probably included the no proof of insurance in there. Well good luck with the whole switching insurance's thing. Doesn't look good. Say you're sorry and you won't do it again and if not a blow job helps
I thought it was a set fee. Like $15/per mile over or something, I didnt know that cop could decisde how much to charge me, thats lame!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend got a ticket for his exhaust and it had a silencer !! ticket was $1200. So speeding is much more severe than exhaust noise so $1010 doesnt sound far fetched, at least here in Cali.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a speeding ticket should not be over 200$ ANYWHERE,
Really?

I got this ticket December 08 in Santa Barbara County. I showed the officer my registration and proof of insurance.

Was going 71 in a 55. Dumb of me I know. 16 miles over the speed limit.

Called in to see what the fees would be.....

$140 plus $60 for the privilege to take traffic school. Then $20 for Online Traffic School.

Then 1 week after I pay the court fees and send off my traffic school certificate, the court sends me a notice stating that because of the "new" traffic laws effective 1/1/09, that I still owe $60 in court fees!
The notice also states that I have 30 days to pay the fee or I will have a bench warrant for failing to pay my court fees. WHAT!!!!!

Price for speeding in California:
16 miles over the post speed=$140
Privlege to take driving school=$60
Online traffic school=$20
"new" speeding law fees=$60
Old 07-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

juda add to your sig

"the only thing certain in life is death, and taxes"
Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

juda add to your sig

"the only thing certain in life is death, and taxes"

True.

I got taxed real bad by the MAN!!
Old 07-16-2009, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man just be glad it wasnt 25+ that would be concidered attempted vehicular homicide (in OK at least) and jail time, i was clocked doing 133 in a 45 but it was bc i was bumped from behind by a guy who i had just race and Obviously beatin and he was po'd and when he passed me he brandished a gun at me which if you know the kinda person I am that ish dont fly so I was after that muhfukah, the cop who pulled me over I just happen to know, I explained what happened and they sent officers after the other car and when they got them pulled over they found like a an ish load of Yayo and illeagle firearms so he gave me a 9mph over ticket....lol I GOT LUCKY AS HELL!!!!! but yeah 1010 seems redonkulous, and for the guy with the 1200 exhaust fine you were just raped never heard of one over 100 bux and thats usually a "fix-it" ticket and can be dismissed.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The traffic fee you received INCLUDES the "no proof of insurance". That violation is a big one.

Yes, you can make payments.

No, the peace officers have NOTHING to do with the amount of the fine you have to pay to the court. I can assure you that the no proof of insurance is on that ticket. Disregard what was mentioned earlier. Just show up to court, ask for a trial to see the judge, and talk to him. He/She is the one who makes the final decision.

In CA, a speeding ticket could be anywhere between 150-600. This one should be around 350-450.

The DMV, and insurance companies, usually give you a 30-day insurance transfer policy period when you buy a new car. Basically, if you had insurance on your last car and you buy a new one, you have at least 15-30 days before you need to have proof of insurance on the new car (time to set-up a new policy/receive new proof of insurance cards). You may want to double check, but I'm almost 99% sure this is how it works.

The amount of the fine is completely separate from the court assessment fees, court fees, and any other fee that comes along with it. It is pretty much up to the court or judge.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:18 AM

yeah they let u make it in payments and there very lenient on their policys. sucks tho man . i havent been bopped yet.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just go to court, I learned you never pay whats on the ticket.

I had over $3500 worth of tickets. Young, dumb, and full of ***. I went to fight off all of them, without a lawyer. I ended up paying around 500. I had a couple of no insurance. One instance I had my vehicle insured at the time of being pulled over but I lost the insurance paper. I brought it in and he dropped it from 550 to 25 or 50.

Another time I had no insurance because I just bought the car, and I got clocked going down a 30 zone hill at 40. I just bought insurance and brought it in and I only had to pay 100 of 550. For the insurance part, I still had to pay the speeding ticket part.

I fought a reckless driving ticket too, and I won without a lawyer. It was an easy fight, there was no cops when I crashed. I got into an accident on Christmas. It's a winter holiday, and that year it actually snowed a little. I was driving on the freeway taking an exit and I spun out and hit the railing going 30. The cop came and just gave me a freaking ticket for reckless driving.... I was fine, but would I still have received a ticket if I was injured? Well, I went to court and said the cop was not there so that ticket was just a wrong assumption. BLAm, no fine.

I got a racing ticket, or a reckless driving ticket which was over 1000. I went to court, didn't even say anything, and it somehow got dropped to 300 + traffic driving school. Since it's a misdemeanor, I got the chance to defer it. 2 years with law abiding behavior and blammy, its gone.

It's really not hard to fight a traffic ticket and for your first ticket, in the state of washington anyways, you can get it deferred. Meaning, if you do not have and moving traffic violation within X months or years, you will get the violation cleared from your records. All you do is pay $100.

That's my experience with the law and if your doing good in school, make sure the judge knows. It really helps when he decides your punishment.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No way, man. That's too much. Just go to court pleading guilty.