Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help! Spark plug melted after heli coil?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Spark plug melted after heli coil?!

D15b7
High miles
So I had too much oil and blew my spark plug out of my head. Cylinder 4. I tapped it and put in a heli coil kit. New plug and wires as well. The car ran like normal. Drove it about 2 hours south no problems. Got in to drive again and noticed it misfiring so I opened the hood and took out my #4 spark plug wire boot and it melted into my plug. I took the plug out and the whole tip of the plug was missing and melted as well. remember this is the same cylinder i helicoiled. So I put a new plug in and new wires thinking the wires were faulty. Now my car is still misfiring and won't run correctly. I unplugged the injector at one point for that cylinder and replugged it. Could the injector need to be reset? Could the helicoil sleeve be preventing the car from sparking? The plug sparks when I test it out of the cylinder.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help! Spark plug melted after heli coil?!

the coil sleeve could be too far down, causing the plug to arc against it.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
the coil sleeve could be too far down, causing the plug to arc against it.
I put a short sleeve in. But would that cause it not to fire?
When I took the melted plug out it was smashed so I think pieces may have messed up my valves? The plug is wet with oil it seems and when I unplug the wire boot while the car is running nothing changes, so its either not sparking or not getting gas or the valves are broken. I'm still noob in the car game though..
Old 12-26-2015, 02:54 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

When the plug melted it maybe damaged the ICM for that cylinder?

One of the things that came to mind is the spark plug heat range is used to transfer heat from the combustion chamber to the head.

Use of the short helicoil quite likely changed the amount of heat the spark plug can transfer so the plug over heats and melts.

The end result of the melting plug is damage to other parts of the ignition similiar to just randomly pulling plug wires.

The reason I suspect the ICM is the coil itself would affect all 4, while I believe the ICM has different circuitry for each cylinder so might be possible to burn out one cylinder part of the circuitry while the other 3 remain operable.

I haven't actually analyzed the ICM schematics but it does seem like a reasonable conclusion.

I would suspect you should probably change the helicoil for a timesert. It will likely act more in line with OEM temperature transfer rates of the plugs.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Compression test the cylinders.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ended up breaking a piece of my head off and breaking a valve.
heli coils are just a pain in general. Never drill them too far down. and be prepared for problems if used, lol. After a few days of playing i took the head off and found the major issue.,

Swapped a 1.6 z6 head on the 1.5 b7 block. Mini me runs awesome. Minor issues but pretty easy swap for a decent gain in compression. Tranny still blows from the 1.5 s(dx) motors, but...
UPGRADED