Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help this slow civic.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help this slow civic.

I have asked a few questions about this before, without too much help.

Now without suggestions of "selling the car, swapping the motor, or swapping the tranny", id like to hear some ideas, if there are any on what I could do.

I have a 99 civic ex, auto. For the last year I have been deciding on whether or not to save money for a tranny swap, dont spend a dime in mods on the car, and all kinds of things.

Right now the car has a apexi n1 exhaust, thats it. Id like to be able to at least kinda keep up with the civics and other cars around here. Most are civics that have i/h/e, thats pretty much it. I know thats not much, but its more than what I have.

They also have these midnight drag races at the local track, where you find the same cars. Id like to go out there and actually keep up, if not beat a few people. Its a boring town so I dont have much else to do.

So my car being a stock civic with an auto tranny, Id like to keep up or beat (if its possible) civics around here with i/h/e but they have 5-speeds. I know that having a stick isnt going to make them way faster or anything, but they have the advantage.

I checked into getting a tranny swap around here at different shops and 1600 was about the lowest price I could find.

Id like to hear some suggestions on what kinds of things I could do to be able to do the above.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Help this slow civic. (Quick EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quick EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have asked a few questions about this before, without too much help.

Now without suggestions of "selling the car, swapping the motor, or swapping the tranny", id like to hear some ideas, if there are any on what I could do.

I have a 99 civic ex, auto. For the last year I have been deciding on whether or not to save money for a tranny swap, dont spend a dime in mods on the car, and all kinds of things.

Right now the car has a apexi n1 exhaust, thats it. Id like to be able to at least kinda keep up with the civics and other cars around here. Most are civics that have i/h/e, thats pretty much it. I know thats not much, but its more than what I have.

They also have these midnight drag races at the local track, where you find the same cars. Id like to go out there and actually keep up, if not beat a few people. Its a boring town so I dont have much else to do.

So my car being a stock civic with an auto tranny, Id like to keep up or beat (if its possible) civics around here with i/h/e but they have 5-speeds. I know that having a stick isnt going to make them way faster or anything, but they have the advantage.

I checked into getting a tranny swap around here at different shops and 1600 was about the lowest price I could find.

Id like to hear some suggestions on what kinds of things I could do to be able to do the above.

Thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Personally, I would not even think of messing around with the auto tranny. Honda auto trannys don't take well to mods and usually can't handle the added stress that it brings. If it were me, I would sell the ride and go pick up an EG hatch to play with.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Help this slow civic. (Hybrid93Eg)

Well anyone I have asked said that it can take a 50-shot of nitrous no problem.

I was guessing that If I had i/h/e and a 50-shot, that right there would be enough to keep up with, if not beat other civics around here.

Running into a civic around here that has nitrous or a turbo is like meeting someone famous, its pretty rare.

Yeah I understand about the tranny not being able to hold much power, but those few mods arent going to give the car crazy power or anything.

I cant sell the car, a tranny swap is expensive. I thought about it like this: I could spend 1600 and get a manual swap. and then my car is a stock manual with an exhaust, yeah its better to build of off, but I could buy a header, an intake, and a nitrous kit for less and be quicker. I really dont see myself spending 1600 for a manual.

Im open to any other suggestions.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quick EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well anyone I have asked said that it can take a 50-shot of nitrous no problem.

I was guessing that If I had i/h/e and a 50-shot, that right there would be enough to keep up with, if not beat other civics around here.

Running into a civic around here that has nitrous or a turbo is like meeting someone famous, its pretty rare.

Yeah I understand about the tranny not being able to hold much power, but those few mods arent going to give the car crazy power or anything.

I cant sell the car, a tranny swap is expensive. I thought about it like this: I could spend 1600 and get a manual swap. and then my car is a stock manual with an exhaust, yeah its better to build of off, but I could buy a header, an intake, and a nitrous kit for less and be quicker. I really dont see myself spending 1600 for a manual.

Im open to any other suggestions.

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't see how this is true. I have seen many people toss the auto trannies shortly after installing the JRSC kit's on these cars. That adds about the same amount of HP and the tranny just can't handle it. How can you say adding 60HP to the crank isn't alot? Its your money and all, but I think nitrous is a very good way to wind up blowing your engine and your tranny. Don't forget to allocate money for tuning as well after you add the juice.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

an auto to manual swap is easier than you think, just locate some parts and they bolt right up... the hardest part is changing the mount and cutting out the old cable shifter guide (which you could probably get any garage or shop to do for cheap)

use the search button to find out wut all you need

as for goin faster, the motor you have depending on wut year your car is (92-95 d16z6, 99-00 d16y8) is a gr8 lil motor. you just need something called boost! go to http://www.homemadeturbo.com to see how easy and cheap it can be to go to the FI side.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say save up money for an engine swap like b18b or a b16a but the only thing you need to worry about being fast is how deep your pockets are,...
Old 06-22-2003, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Help this slow civic. (hondadazed)

Thanks.

As for nitrous and all that.

If you install it right and take the precautions, then you dont have to worry about much.

If you go crazy with it and the install isnt all that great, then you will probably run into problems.

I know the honda auto tranny isnt the greatest thing in the world, but its not made out of glass.

I'll check out that website.

Thanks for the help again
Old 06-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quick EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks.

As for nitrous and all that.

If you install it right and take the precautions, then you dont have to worry about much.

If you go crazy with it and the install isnt all that great, then you will probably run into problems.

I know the honda auto tranny isnt the greatest thing in the world, but its not made out of glass.

I'll check out that website.

Thanks for the help again</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think the tranny is quite that bad, but when adding serious power adders such as nitrous, I think you will run into some problems. I was just trying to help you see this as a possability. It might save you money now to skip the tranny conversion, but when it blows, what will you do then?
Old 06-22-2003, 10:48 AM

you are right.

I really dont want to swap the motor, yeah it would be nice, and better to build off of in the future.

I see lots of people that swap a motor and build it up, and then they continue to build it, the car is fast, but they are always doing something to make it quicker, and there is no problem with that.

I dont have lots off money to be investing into a motor, I really just want to be able to compete with most civics around here, and maybe beat a few, and thats about it.

And just all the people who I know that are into hondas tell me nitrous.

I tell them that I want to just be able to compete with and beat some local cars around here, I really dont want to swap the motor, then turbo it.

well an intake isnt going to do anything, a header wont give you a little edge over them, you dont want to turbocharge or swap the motor, so go with nitrous.

I was told as long as I take some precautions with installing and using it, then id have no problems. I read faq's on the nitrous express website, and it says the preferred application is an automatic.

At the moment I dont know what to do.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quick EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are right.

I really dont want to swap the motor, yeah it would be nice, and better to build off of in the future.

I see lots of people that swap a motor and build it up, and then they continue to build it, the car is fast, but they are always doing something to make it quicker, and there is no problem with that.

I dont have lots off money to be investing into a motor, I really just want to be able to compete with most civics around here, and maybe beat a few, and thats about it.

And just all the people who I know that are into hondas tell me nitrous.

I tell them that I want to just be able to compete with and beat some local cars around here, I really dont want to swap the motor, then turbo it.

well an intake isnt going to do anything, a header wont give you a little edge over them, you dont want to turbocharge or swap the motor, so go with nitrous.

I was told as long as I take some precautions with installing and using it, then id have no problems. I read faq's on the nitrous express website, and it says the preferred application is an automatic.

At the moment I dont know what to do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, it sounds like in your case the juice might be the best way to go at the moment. Just make sure you spend some money to tune it on the dyno and you will at least have the peace of mind that your engine won't go south. The SOHC you have isn't that bad of an engine, its just that you still have the weak link in that tranny, you know? Tune it well and I don't think you will have any issues with the engine portion. I haven't personally built any auto's so I can only go by what others have said. This in mind, I question how well the tranny will hold up. Sure, the nitrous express site says an auto is best for the juice. I agree. But they are also probably assuming that most people with the money to run the juice will also make sure the rest of thier car can handle the added stress. I know many factory autos that can take one hell of a pounding. From what I have read and heard, the Honda auto is not one of them.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:56 AM

Yeah, thanks for the help.

If I really decide to go with the nitrous, I'll check and make sure that I'll take all the precautions I can to insure the motor and tranny will be able to handle it smoothly.
Old 06-22-2003, 11:02 AM

Boost that motor. How much do you plan on spending on nitrous and tuning and refills of nitrous? Compare that to the cost of a turbo kit. That motor at 6 psi will smoke any of those I/H/E Civics in your town. They won't even ahve a chance. http://www.homemadeturbo.com will tell you exactly what to do and you would end up spending less than $1000 for everything.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Help this slow civic. (Trial User)

Remember, the car is an automatic.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:56 AM

What about making the car lighter. I don't know if this is an option for you, but it's something I'd look into. Also, I'd get the i/h/e thing done because you will see better results when you make your upgrades. Plus, it will give you more time to save for the tranny swap. I would also think about going with a higher lift cam with your set up. Anyway, that is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

Good Luck!
Old 06-23-2003, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quick EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
So my car being a stock civic with an auto tranny, Id like to keep up or beat (if its possible) civics around here with i/h/e but they have 5-speeds. I know that having a stick isnt going to make them way faster or anything, but they have the advantage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no offense man, but them having a stick car IS going to make them way faster than you. You could have i/h/e and you would be getting owned by stock 5 speed civics. From what i see swapping the tranny is your only option that is worthwhile at the moment. If you want to keep up then that would be the best thing to do..then later on down the road maybe nitrous or a turbo setup.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:39 AM

I hear a lot of talk about a tranny swap, but do you even know how to drive a manual. I am not trying to insult you, but I would suggest learning first before you swap the tranny.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Help me??? HOW???
Old 06-24-2003, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Help this slow civic. (SlowCivicHmm)

Yeah I can drive a manual, I also have a 92 prelude thats a manual.

And Im done modding the prelude, its getting quite old, and I really dont want to keep on spending lots of money on it.

Maybe I will just save up and do a tranny swap, it sounds like thats the best thing to do.

Thanks for all the help
Old 06-24-2003, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get NOS. No wait get two bottles. By tonite...

No seriously. Sounds like you don't wanna really get your car to go fast all the time. Only for illegal street racing Do up like Brian Spilner and get some NOS. Get a 50 Shot and you'll be straight.
Old 06-24-2003, 12:33 PM

he said tranny swap
Old 06-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

screw the tranny swap, put a turbo kit on it
Old 06-24-2003, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Help this slow civic. (Jinya1004)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jinya1004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get NOS. No wait get two bottles. By tonite...

No seriously. Sounds like you don't wanna really get your car to go fast all the time. Only for illegal street racing Do up like Brian Spilner and get some NOS. Get a 50 Shot and you'll be straight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought he said it was at a local TRACK...o well...

Id say...Get a Tranny swap or just use Nitrous
Old 06-24-2003, 01:35 PM
TSPeed Factory

i'm sure u could find a tranny at a local junk yard for a lot cheaper then $1600. call around and ask.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Help this slow civic. (AzntaggeR)

with turbo you can hit mid 14's before the tranny goes south. thats the limit.

otherwise, motor swap. Nitrous will kill the tranny faster than boost will.

building a auto honda for drag is a complete waste of money and time, UNLESS noone in your area can touch 14's yet then you're set. otherwise you're sunk.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:20 PM

um you're from jacksonville? I use to live there and I know that most people on the street are running a little more that intakes, headers, and exhaust but that's besides the point. Ummm get a mild cam, boost it, and then do a tranny swap, go to jax raceway and beat those *******. heh, by the way tell the boys at speedcraft and stage six that they rock

Quick Reply: Help this slow civic.