Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP! Seafoam’d integra oil, engine started BLOWING smoke everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Seafoam’d integra oil, engine started BLOWING smoke everywhere

okay so this is the second time i seafoamd my integra

i do do the typical 1/3rd of a can in gas tank, engine oil, and through the vacuum line (brake booster line i think? the big boy that’s really easy to get to on the drivers side on the firewall)

well this time something went very bad. i admit i never got an oil change after putting the seafoam in the oil the first time, like an idiot. so my oil was already thinned. i said **** it and still put an additional 1/3rd of the 2nd bottle in the same oil.

i then hen was having my brother keep the rpm at 1.5k as i’m slowly pouring the seafoam in the vacuum line and out of nowhere the engine starts BELLOWING thick white smoke and it smelled like burning oil. smoke seemed to come from the headers so i thought maybe it was just an exhaust leak but like the smoke grew in intensity . this was a **** load of smoke, and it seemed way too much from just the seafoam. engine also was running like *** but it’s aupposed to do that when u put the seafoam in as it bogs down.

we immediately turned the car off and let it chill for 15 mins and started it back up, ran like *** and this time only light smoke from engine , followed by a **** load of white exhaust smoke that smelled like burnt oil.

at at this point i’m thinking i royally fucked up the oil by thinning it too much but i didn’t hear any rod knocks or ticking noises so that was a good sign atleast. no oil light. i then went to the store and got some oil and a filter. when i changed the oil out, it was black and very drippy aka thin, it also seemed to only drain out 3 or so quarts so the oil wasn’t at all in good shape. prolly about 6k on it.

i put a generous 4 quarts in it and topped it off with a little marvel mystery oil for the hell of it, just a splash. now the car is running but it’s definitely running more rough than before especially when it warms up. did i **** yo the engine? it never really burnt oil before this and doesn’t leak oil. now it just runs like *** worse than before. i’m so mad because i basically fukd my own car up. help
Old 01-10-2019, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP! Seafoam’d integra oil, engine started BLOWING smoke everywhere

also, after the oil change i took it out for a test drive and pulled a couple times and everything works it just kinda idles like *** now... i don’t notice anything else. but i feel like i just reduced the life of the motor by half. it’s only got 145k on it ...b18b1. it never ran perfect before but idled decently smooth when warm. it now runs like some shitty *** 92 civic with 200k but no power loss
Old 01-10-2019, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: HELP! Seafoam’d integra oil, engine started BLOWING smoke everywhere

Oil in the exhaust and poor performance probably means that it got past the rings. That could have happened because your oil was so thin, or because the seafoam in the cylinders washed them dry, or both. I am guessing that your rings or cylinder were damaged from lack of lubrication (thin oil in case plus seafoam in chamber). Another possibility is that you washed some sludge out of the intake manifold and into the combustion chamber, maybe into the exhaust. That would be the best case

Do yourself a favor and lay off the seafoam and marvel mystery oil. Put only gasoline in the tank and 5W-30 synthetic in the crankcase.

Pull your spark plugs and inspect for oil. Do a compression test. You might be able to stick one of those cameras into a cylinder and inspect your bores. Keep a close eye on your oil level for a while in case you did screw things up.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:34 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Seafoam = GARBAGE that doesn't do anything
Old 01-11-2019, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why the frig people waste time and money screwing around with crap like SeaFoam is beyond me.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Karma for picking such a shitty HT handle... But seriously, I hope you didn’t fry the piston rings, may be time to call the mad scientist. ��
Old 01-11-2019, 11:34 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by BiggieBert
Karma for picking such a shitty HT handle... But seriously, I hope you didn’t fry the piston rings, may be time to call the mad scientist. ��
HT handle....username you mean? lol
Old 01-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

username = handle
Old 01-12-2019, 05:49 AM
Trial User

Seriously? You put a liquid in the vacuum line and expected it not to smoke? In my younger, dumber years, every time I’ve every used that stuff it smokes my whole street out. I wouldn’t use it in your oil so often either.Change the oil and drive it. You will be good.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018
username = handle
who cares, obvious troll account anyway