Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help removing timing belt and head...work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help removing timing belt and head...work in progress

1992 Civic DX automatic
Ive gotten down to removing all the belts except for the timing belt. I havent yet removed the crank pulley. I plan to replace all the belts, as they are cracking and have over 130K on them.

Im a little sketchy removing the timing belt. Im using a Haynes manual so it gives me a good idea but they arent the best and I dont have a helms. What or where do I have to take note as to not screw up the timing when putting on the new belt? Cylinder one is at TDC. I know I have to wedge a screw driver in the flywheel to keep the crank from spinning, thats not a problem. What else do I need to look out for in order to reassemble it properly?

Also, can I remove the head without removing the cam, rockers, etc? The manual says to remove all that, but it appears I have access to all 10 head studs and would be able to remove it without taking off all that other stuff. That would save A LOT of trouble as Ive never done a cam removal/install before. Im gonna try to leave the IM on but will take if off if necessary.

One more thing, In order to just get the head off if for some reason I cant get the timing belt off all the way, can I just slide the timing belt off the cam gear(its probably loose enough by loosening the tensioner) and remove the head? Will that pose a problem when trying to put the head back on?

Thanks for any help or suggestions
Old 01-28-2004, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up, need some answers by tonight so I can complete the job.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (RTW DC2)

If you are pulling the head, then leave the intake manifold on until after you get the head off. It is usually much easier to get to the nuts that way. You will need to take all of the rocker arms and cams out anyway when you send the head to the machine shop to be checked for flatness and cracks. Same thing for the cam pulley.

As for what you need to look for for reassembly: Make sure you can see the timing marks on the cam and on the crankshaft so that you know exactly where they were before and how they should look. Also, you can use an egg carton to put the various rocker arms and bearing caps in( label the carton so that they go back on in the exact same spot)
Old 01-28-2004, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RTW DC2)

just slide the belt off . you do not have to take out the cam on a d series motor.taking everything off is easy putting it back is the fun , just make the timing marks right when you put it back and used the book you have
Old 01-28-2004, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1.8turbolsvtec)

I've found that Hayne's can suck my *****. I always find an easier way to do stuff than how they say to do it. Sorry I can't help you. Get a Helms.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Help removing timing belt and head...work in progress (RTW DC2)

Read this: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=649277

2nd...you can pull off ur valve cover, and loosen the 10 head bolts and take the head off...make sure you unplug everything from the IM and head, as well as remove the exhaust manifold...good luck
Old 01-28-2004, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome. Ill check out that link shortly.

Ive marked the distributor and crank for TDC, so as long as the distro, cam, and crank are in the same spot when I removed it, putting it back on shouldnt be a problem then right? Just line everything back up?

Thanks for the help!