Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help: Reconverting back to OBD2

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Help: Reconverting back to OBD2

Hello,
I picked up a 96' EK Hatch with a GSR running on OBD1 and as such can't pass emissions here in NJ since they cannot hook up with the OBD1 computer. I was thinking about keeping the car OBD1 and trail the car around to tracks but is not a viable option anymore. My question is:

1. What should I purchase to reconvert the car back to OBD2A (ECU, Engine and Dash Harnesses?)
2. How difficult is this to do? Should I bring this to a shop? If so, can you guys please recommend a shop in the Northeast that has experience with this? I live in the NY Metro area but would be willing to do some traveling.

I appreciate your help!
Paul
Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help: Reconverting back to OBD2

is the motor obd1? if so, you need a new one. you can run an obd2 motor as obd1, but you cannot run an obd1 motor as obd2 without some issues that would cause you to fail emissions.

yes, you will need a 1 piece EK harness, an obd2 motor, and corresponding ecu. this job is really only as difficult as the swap, this car was made for an obd2 motor so if you can swap one in yourself then you are golden.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Trial User

Yes, this is a OBD2 engine. What do you mean by 1 piece EK harness, and I thought I would have to get a GSR harness (dash and engine harnesses), since it is a GSR engine/trans? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First you dont need a new motor. Second dont need a new harness. They wouldnt have gotten the swap to work without an OBD2 two piece harness in the car, they just converted it to work with OBD1 and used an OBD2 to OBD1 jumper harness at the ECU. Find a P72 OBD2A ECU as it wont have an immobilizer and swap that in, most likely you wont need another jumper harness since your harness should still be OBD2A (same as your chassis). Once you do that then track down the Cel's your getting and work them out one by one. Most like Second O2 and CKF sensor as OBD1 doesnt use either. This is actually pretty easy since the swap is the hardest part, now you just gotta redo some wiring and your set. I cant find the link right now but Katman has a whole page on exactly what to do in your case. Maybe someone can find it for you.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pklee
Hello,
I picked up a 96' EK Hatch with a GSR running on OBD1 and as such can't pass emissions here in NJ since they cannot hook up with the OBD1 computer. I was thinking about keeping the car OBD1 and trail the car around to tracks but is not a viable option anymore. My question is:

1. What should I purchase to reconvert the car back to OBD2A (ECU, Engine and Dash Harnesses?)
2. How difficult is this to do? Should I bring this to a shop? If so, can you guys please recommend a shop in the Northeast that has experience with this? I live in the NY Metro area but would be willing to do some traveling.

I appreciate your help!
Paul
Your saying the engine was obd2 and the only this was done was converting it to obd1. Depends on your chassie,ex,dx, you may have a dx i'm not to sure. Since the engine is an obd2, just take out the conversion harness and run a p72. Whoever swap this engine already figured out the harness to work with the engine. You may have to connect few connectors back like ckp, added addition o2 sensor, if this was left disconnected.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Trial User

Thanks for all your help everyone. Sdobson, I found Katman's info btw. Very helpful!
Man, you guys know your stuff...
Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea no problem man pm if you need anymore help.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

prob. easier off getting a 96-98 ex harness then changing the plugs accordingly for the b series and also the gsr ecu.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kista20
prob. easier off getting a 96-98 ex harness then changing the plugs accordingly for the b series and also the gsr ecu.
What would be the point? The motor is currently running and we have allready stated that you CANNOT run a OBD1 harness in an OBD2 car. So his harness is OBD2A and powering the car so it works, all he needs to do is address a few plugs and hes set. I would also just do the CKF trick unless you wanna run a new oil pump. Damn if you listened to some people on here you'd be spending 2k on a new motor and another 150 on a harness both of which you dont need.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sdobson910
What would be the point? The motor is currently running and we have allready stated that you CANNOT run a OBD1 harness in an OBD2 car. So his harness is OBD2A and powering the car so it works, all he needs to do is address a few plugs and hes set. I would also just do the CKF trick unless you wanna run a new oil pump. Damn if you listened to some people on here you'd be spending 2k on a new motor and another 150 on a harness both of which you dont need.
I never said anything about obd1, the op hadn't stated which which harness they were running I'm sorry but I guessed obd1 because of the ecu and he didn't mention he was using a conversion harness. I only stated 96-98 ex which are obd2a just like his hatch, the ex already has vtec which will make it a little easer. Sorry just missed the part he actually had an obd2 motor but running obd1.