Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help - Pulley Timing marks - Working on car! plz.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Pulley Timing marks - Working on car! plz.

Hey guys....well i took off my valve cover...set my b16a2 cam gears with arrow point up and 2 markings on cam gears - - lined up.....questions is....to set to ignition to factory timing 16 + - 2 degrees..., what mark has to be align with the mark on the lower belt Cover. I have markings on the crank pulley.....1 marking is 3 lines together with the center being red....then i have another one right above it, this marking is almost lined up with the marking on the belt cover.....i thought the red one is suppose to be aligned with the lower belt cover marking...am i wrong...or can the timing be off a whole 180 degrees? car feels very sluggish when at operating temp when lower than 3.5 RPM

the last time i tried set my ignition timing to 16 degress....(linming up red mark to lower belt cover) i can never get that red mark near the marking on the lower belt cover....the only one that does line up is the one mark on the pulley above those 3 marks

Last edited by SinsEvil666; 07-19-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Help - Pulley Timing marks - Working on car! plz.

When the cam pulley is positioned at TDC1, the lone white mark (not red mark in group of three) on the crank pulley should align with the pointer. If so, the mechanical timing is set correctly.
Old 07-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
When the cam pulley is positioned at TDC1, the lone white mark (not red mark in group of three) on the crank pulley should align with the pointer. If so, the mechanical timing is set correctly.
thank you so much.....this means my timing is correct....will position go back position that lone white mark to the marking on the cover and set timing at 16 degrees....run compression test...try figure why car so sluggish in lower RPMS and dont hit vtec anymore....

question, what is the 3 marks together used for red being the center mark of the 3.?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now jump the service connector and hook up a timing gun. Turn the distributor until the red mark aligns with the pointer.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Now jump the service connector and hook up a timing gun. Turn the distributor until the red mark aligns with the pointer.
ok, im lost....Let me get this straight....when crank pulley (u said cam)....is set at TDC for piston 1....the lone white mark is suppose to line up with the lower belt cover mark.

now, when setting Ignition timing at OEM Specs 16 degrees with timing light/gun......i'm suppose to line up the red mark in the group of three to the same pointer/marking on lower belt cover? is this right?

last time i tried this.....i can never get that red mark near the pointer even if i advanced or retarted the dizzy all the way...

could of i put the dizzy wrong? i believe i read that it only goes in one way because of its designed as well as the cam, it only fits in one way...this correct? or could i have put dizzy 180 dedrees off?

Thanks alot for the help Ron.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SinsEvil666
ok, im lost....Let me get this straight....when crank pulley (u said cam)....is set at TDC for piston 1....the lone white mark is suppose to line up with the lower belt cover mark.

now, when setting Ignition timing at OEM Specs 16 degrees with timing light/gun......i'm suppose to line up the red mark in the group of three to the same pointer/marking on lower belt cover? is this right?

last time i tried this.....i can never get that red mark near the pointer even if i advanced or retarted the dizzy all the way...

could of i put the dizzy wrong? i believe i read that it only goes in one way because of its designed as well as the cam, it only fits in one way...this correct? or could i have put dizzy 180 dedrees off?
To set the mechanical timing of the crank, the crank pointer is aligned with the lone white mark on the crank pulley (=TDC1). The mechanical timing is correct when the cam and crank are perfectly synchronized at TDC1.

To set the ignition timing to spec, the crank pointer is aligned with the red mark on the crank pulley using a timing gun. If you are unable to set the ignition timing to spec, then the mechanical timing is likely off by one tooth.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, since the cam gears do align right now....with the up marks pointing up.... and the - - right next to each other........possibly means that the crank jumped a tooth? though the pulley (lone mark) does line up with pointer right at tdc.....i test this with a screwdriver through the spark plug tube on cyl 1 to make sure it was right at TDC.

just put valve cover...gonna wait for silicone on corners to dry up...then run compression test..and then try set timing once again....can it be that the timing gun i have is a piece of ****.....25 bucks at Harbor Freight tools.....
Old 07-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you jumping the service connector when checking the IGNITION TIMING??

you have to do so or the ECU will add advance or retard to the base timing. jumping the service connector will put the car at base timing with no advance or retard.

also make sure your car is warmed up when doing so that way you are actually at IDLE.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by schardbody
are you jumping the service connector when checking the IGNITION TIMING??

you have to do so or the ECU will add advance or retard to the base timing. jumping the service connector will put the car at base timing with no advance or retard.

also make sure your car is warmed up when doing so that way you are actually at IDLE.
ok.....What exactly is Jumping the service connector? seems like thats 1 thing im not doing.....is it same thing as when u jump service connector when checking for a CEL? or totally different? ...on the write up says dont turn car on while the service connector has the loop wire on....

Last edited by SinsEvil666; 07-19-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, got it...it is the same one. found a post about it....if anyone needs....link is below.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/service-check-connector-jump-when-checking-ignition-timing-1036186/

Final question.....if u have a idle surge, is can timing still be checked? or if idle is a lil higher than normal....sometimes my idle stays at about 1100 rpm....sometimes higher...and sometimes stays normal about 900.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to get TRUE base timing it needs to be set at idle rpm which is like 750rpm or so. i'd clean and adjust the FITV, that should take care of the idle. then set timing.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by schardbody
to get TRUE base timing it needs to be set at idle rpm which is like 750rpm or so. i'd clean and adjust the FITV, that should take care of the idle. then set timing.

k, ill try catch my car when its idle-ing around that speed.....before try ill clean FITV.