Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help on proper harness placement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on proper harness placement

i have a tenzo r seat and a four point belt...i already have them both in and i installed thebelt to where the seat bracket installs to the floor. my question is..is this going to be safe in the event of the worst? or shouls i really consider using the stock belf or mounting the foru point elaswhere?(for example a cage)...thanx
Old 03-15-2004, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help on proper harness placement (tbcmorris)

Unless you have a cage with a harness bar they are unsafe and you should use the stock seatbelts. If the harness isn't at shoulder level you are asking for it in an accident.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:01 AM

you need at least a roll bar with harness bar to consider mounting the harnesses. Even then, a 4pt harness is not recommended...
Old 03-15-2004, 02:54 PM

so basicly it is not safe and im screwed if the worst comes. anyone know the best metal to make a cage with?
Old 03-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tbcmorris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so basicly it is not safe and im screwed if the worst comes. anyone know the best metal to make a cage with?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Basically. I would suggest buying a cage instead of trying to make one. They're not that expensive compared to buying a welder and the tubing you need.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:41 AM

Default Re: help on proper harness placement (Ricey McRicerton)

i already have the welder and i am capable of producing a good quailty cage. but i think you huys are right and i should jsut invest money in one instead or jsut be un safe whatever
Old 03-16-2004, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tbcmorris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i already have the welder and i am capable of producing a good quailty cage. but i think you huys are right and i should jsut invest money in one instead or jsut be un safe whatever</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're capable of making one go for it. I honestly don't know what kind of tubing you'd need but if you check on any websites where they sell them, I'd be more than willing to bet they say what they use. Go for it and let us all know how it turns out.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:45 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you're capable of making one go for it. I honestly don't know what kind of tubing you'd need but if you check on any websites where they sell them, I'd be more than willing to bet they say what they use. Go for it and let us all know how it turns out. </TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like a plan
Old 03-17-2004, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do some research before you make a cage, SCCA and drag organizations have different rules involving cages, materials and the like. So deside if you gonna drag or turn your car, and check the rules first, then start cutting I have a simple harness bar on my del sol, here is a picture.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:59 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless you have a cage with a harness bar they are unsafe and you should use the stock seatbelts. If the harness isn't at shoulder level you are asking for it in an accident. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. With the harness mounted directly to the floor, if your body exerts a strong forward force, the harness will pull your shoulders down into the seat rather than back against the seat.

Spinal compression =

And if you roll without a cage your skull gets smashed.

Skull smashage =