Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help please! Oil pump almost out!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please! Oil pump almost out!

Alright, so everything that I need to do to get the oil pump out is done. Almost every step of the way, there has been something that has been a bitch to take off, and the last thing is no exception. All I need to do is take the sprocket off of the crank and break the pump loose from the block. My manual say to "slide the sprocket off." Yeah if only it were so easy.

I think that maybe the sprocket is a little rusted to the crank. Any feedback you guys can give as far as your experience goes with this will be very helpful.

-Shane
Old 10-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Help please! Oil pump almost out! (nighttrain33)

Get a prybar or a strong thick screwdriver and hammer it between the block and sprocket and pry it out. One you get that first move of it its pretty easy rest of the way . If you still cant get it then you may need to pick up a puller tool.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Help please! Oil pump almost out! (Luserkid)

Thanks for the reply, seems I can always count on you.

Also, any easy ways to get the pump from the block once the sprocket is off?

-Shane
Old 10-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pump from the block is easy just pry it loose like you would the water pump. But the oil pump has 2 studs that go into the oil pan. Youll need to take those off and when you get all the bolts off you have to pull up and manuver it out (unless you have the pan off already then forget the last part)
Old 10-03-2006, 09:22 AM

Just so I know. When I was trying to get the crank pulley off, at one point the belt slipped, and only the crank turned, but not the cams. Will the pistons be at TDC when the mark on the oil pump housing and the mark on the sprocket/crank line up? The cams are still at TDC.

-Shane
Old 10-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Didnt quit get your question, but to get TDC you need to rotate the sprocket to where the line lines up with the oil pump mark. Doesnt matter if you spin the crank 1000 times, there only 1 TDC. Also when the key placement on the crank is facing up thats usually around TDC, just take a look at the sprocket after that. Thats what your asking right?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:02 PM

Yes you answered my question, thank you very much. Just one more question for whomever whishes. My oil pan came off without a hitch. Once the bolts/nuts came off, the pan just pretty much fell out.

Now, the gasket is pretty well sealed to the pan, and there are no traces of old gasket on the block. Meanwhile, the gasket on the pan doesn't seem to be cracked, but still seems to be in very good shape (not dry or missing at any point).

Should I still change the gasket anyway? I have a new one, but if I can at all avoid the headache of having to scrape all the old gasket off of the pan (if it even comes down to it), I would very much like to. This has taken me long enough, and the hardest part is over. I am ready to be done and driving it, and most importantly, see if this takes care of my oil pressure problem.

-Shane
Old 10-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If it fell with ease that means no Hondabond was used from the gasket to the block. Its fine to reuse the gasket as long as you leave it in its place since you pulled the pan off. If you moved the gasket or pulled it off then its better to use the new one. Pick up some hondabond and spread it across the top of the gasket.