Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP PLEASE IM GOING INSANE

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 07:44 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE IM GOING INSANE

So hey guys I've always read these forums but never made an account. I've done 3 auto to manual swaps before on 92-95 civics. But this one is kicking my ***. I have a 92, d15b eg8. I got an s40 trans from a 97 with axles brackets everything needed. I got a new clutch with flywheel, clutch slave and clutch master, and also throw out. After I've installed everything and don't the wiring, I've stumbled upon a huge problem! Car won't move!!! I do have pedal feel, and clutch is working fine, I put phone and recorded the clutch being pressed in while engine running and while engine off, seems to have same travel. Now my thing is, it feels as if it goes into gear but it won't move, also it goes into gear WITHOUT PRESSING CLUTCH!! Wtf is going on here?! What did I do wrong!? Someone please help I have to get this thing running I gotta work in 18 hours and this is my only way to work
Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: HELP PLEASE IM GOING INSANE

By far the largest reason for the car not moving after working on the transmission is that one or both CV axles are not fully engaged. In this case the speedometer will go up if you put in gear and try to move.

Crack the bleeder on the slave cylinder without pressing the clutch pedal. If pressure comes out and the slave cylinder moves, you have pressure buildup because the pedal and master are not properly adjusted. The piston in the master must come all the way back to its internal stop when the pedal is not pressed.

Can you shift to reverse with engine running and clutch not pressed? Reverse will always grind if the input shaft is turning. The forward gears may not if there is no output load such as a drive axle not engaged.

If input shaft does not turn with no pressure in the slave cylinder (crack bleeder again to be sure) there is a problem inside the bell housing such as having installed a wrong clutch disk that doesn't fit the splines on the input shaft.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:43 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

You can shift gears without the clutch. All the clutch does is disengage the transmission from the engine when you press in the pedal.

That being said, I'd start with checking to make sure the axles are fully seated, clutch line/mc/sc are fully bled, if that doesn't work I'd pull the transmission and make sure everything is installed correctly.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

How do you know the s40 transmission you swapped in is good ???
Old 01-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mk378
By far the largest reason for the car not moving after working on the transmission is that one or both CV axles are not fully engaged. In this case the speedometer will go up if you put in gear and try to move.

Crack the bleeder on the slave cylinder without pressing the clutch pedal. If pressure comes out and the slave cylinder moves, you have pressure buildup because the pedal and master are not properly adjusted. The piston in the master must come all the way back to its internal stop when the pedal is not pressed.

Can you shift to reverse with engine running and clutch not pressed? Reverse will always grind if the input shaft is turning. The forward gears may not if there is no output load such as a drive axle not engaged.

If input shaft does not turn with no pressure in the slave cylinder (crack bleeder again to be sure) there is a problem inside the bell housing such as having installed a wrong clutch disk that doesn't fit the splines on the input shaft.
I can't put it in reverse without using the clutch, also I did have the passenger side axle slightly out. I took off the trans again and put everything back in today when I get home from work I'm hoping it will all work
Old 01-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts