Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!!!!.. please... i dunno whats happening, need advice... please

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!!.. please... i dunno whats happening, need advice... please

I have a '92 eg civic, with a d15b8 motor i think, well i know its a d15, and i jus replaced the clutch, because it was sold to me with a disgusting one in it, but it is and exedy so i think it is a pretty good clutch, but i put it in and everything worked good, it had amazing grip and no weird sounds or anything. well since i put it in for 10 hrs i took some glory burnouts right away, but other than that ive been treating it good, jus driving fast but no clutch dropping. and now its like 2-3 weeks later and everytime i stop it smells like the clutch is burning. Does this happen, ive heard of breaking in a clutch, but it seems relaly weird, it doesnt grab as well, like when i try tooo peel out it will slip and the tires wont spin or the car wont go very fast, and right after i out it in, there was no way i could get the car moving from a stop with oiut the gas, now i can jus pop of the clutch , it will jerk a little and itll go fine..... i dunno whats wrong... sorry thepost is long, but i really really need help... please anyone, everyone around me has camaros and such,a nd they are of no help.. if u know anytthign on the subject please leave a post...thanx..
Old 09-13-2003, 09:12 PM

Default Re: HELP!!!!.. please... i dunno whats happening, need advice... please (egcivic)

::shrugs:: i dodnt understand a word you wrote. Can you try a little more than one sentence?

*note* you should not take glory burnouts nor bring it up to high revs after replacing a clutch.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: HELP!!!!.. please... i dunno whats happening, need advice... please (egcivic)

You probably didn't break it in properly by driving too harsh, burn out, high revved launches....cause the clutch disc to glazed or .....any way you could install the new clutch wrong?
Old 09-13-2003, 09:30 PM

Default Re: HELP!!!!.. please... i dunno whats happening, need advice... please (HATCHingMN)

sorry, im not good to good with my grammer. mmm.... how do u break it in, and what does it mean when its glazed and can i fix it??????? oooo yea, and the pedal has felt a lot looser lately, when i first put it in it was relaly tight, but now it feels like a lot of the tension is gone.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:32 PM

ooops i didnt answer the question, but no i dun think soo, it would be a relaly slim chance of putting it in wrong, becaseu my friends dad was watching us and telling us waht to do and hes a mechanic, sooo... impretty sure we got it right.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:33 PM

You should drive very nice with a new clutch for Ive been told around 1000 miles. I drove easy for around 7-800 miles before I even got on it hard...

Explain to me again what your problem is...in more detailed organized sentences.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:45 PM

Default Re: HELP!!!!.. please... i dunno whats happening, need advice... please (SleepyDX)

ok.... sorry i was kinda really worried. but...... this is what happened
i bought my dx with 150 on it, so the cultch going was not too much of a suprise.
sooo i bought one frome clutchcityonline.
it was an exedy stock replacement clutch because i am going to get a b16 in the near future.
so i went to my friends house because his dad is a mechanic, and i figure if im tearing apart my car its probably best to have a mechanic watching me.
i put it in, everything went in as it came out, abd it ran fine.
Soooo me and my friend were like, well its a new clutch and its grabbing well taht we would do some peeling out to reward ourselves
and after that i took it home adb everything was good.
until now it is 2-3 weeks later and everytime i drive it it smells like the clutch is burning.
I tried dropping the clutch to see if it was bad and the first time it held ok...
then i did it to make sure and it revved but not too much acceleration.
so i stopped doing that.
now i am just driving but it still smells, and the pedal isnt as tight as it was before.
when i come to a complete stop on flat surface, i can just let off the clutch rather quickly and it will shudder a little and then idle and not die.
I think it is slipping, but its soo new i dunno how it could be.
wheni am in gear it runs fine but it just doesnt feel as tight when im starting from stop, and like i said when u dump it, it doenst pull as strong and doesnt spin the tires as well. It also just smellls even if i dont drive it hard, just on regular driving.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should have taken it easy when you first put it in.
oh well, you live and learn.........
Old 09-13-2003, 10:04 PM

Default Re: HELP!!!!.. please... i dunno whats happening, need advice... please (blackhatchy)

yea... i guess i know now...
but is there anything i can do about it?
is that the only possible problem?
Old 09-13-2003, 10:07 PM
tangb2023

i think if the clutch is in then.. then u installed it right. breaking in is when u drive normal no burn out or nothing. glazed? is when u rub off the clutch material to the flywhel and or pressure plate. whitch should go away with normal driving.. if the car is still drivable then keep driving it. when it is hard to get into gear then open it up and check.. what does replacing an exedy clutch have anything to do with a b16?
Old 09-13-2003, 10:11 PM

Default Re: HELP!!!!.. please... i dunno whats happening, need advice... please (tangb2023)

thanx for the advice!!
but i jus put tyhat in, just incase it was unsalvagable...
to see if it would be ok to drive it for about 3 more months...
Old 09-13-2003, 10:18 PM
tangb2023

try bleeding the slavecylinder or (clutch).. to make the clutch pedal stiffer.. and try to take a moment to read what u wrote before u post.. lots of people will flame u for that on h-t.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:38 PM

Default Re: HELP!!!!.. please... i dunno whats happening, need advice... please (tangb2023)

thanx dude.
i was just really worried because im learning still how to drive stick and it took me 10 hrs to get the clutch in.
so the slipping was really getting to me.
but thanx for everything.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:57 AM

oo yea, one more thing.
its not too important, and i dont really mind, but my dad is freaking out about the clutch pedal. beczuse it engages soo high off the floor.
is this common in honda, or jus new cars in general?
Old 09-15-2003, 03:06 PM

neone???
Old 09-15-2003, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know what happens exactly if your break in a clutch wrong. I hear about it, but never seen results of it. But seriously, you beat that clutch up more then you think. You shouldnt take it about 4.5K, no burn outs, no nothing. very easy driving. You may be the cause of your own clutches demise
Old 09-15-2003, 03:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well since i put it in for 10 hrs i took some glory burnouts right away, but other than that ive been treating it good</TD></TR></TABLE>

other than that i've been treating it good??

well i used to have a slammed hatch. i would go over speed bumps at around 35 mph, but other than that I treated the car well.

you've gotta break it in. you just wasted 10 hrs and who knows how much $$. next time, tread softly grasshopper
Old 09-15-2003, 03:25 PM

Default Re: HELP!!!!.. please... i dunno whats happening, need advice... please (Jswpstdoff)

by any chance do you take ADD medicine?