Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help PLEASE! Gotta see the Ref...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help PLEASE! Gotta see the Ref...

I got pulled over the other night (in San Diego) for my exhaust. The cop said it was excessive noise (just an AC Revolution muffler, not even cat-back!), he's telling me that any muffler modification is illegal...which is bullshit. and excessive noise is deemed 95dB and above, which I'm sure my exhaust is far from. Anyways, he asks me to open my hood and sees the Injen Race Division intake and Greddy headers. Says those are illegal too. I say they are Carb legal but I don't have the stickers. He writes me a ticket to see the CA smog Ref for "illegal smog devices". Meanwhile, his buddy is taking pictures of my engine and exhaust. So my question is, when I go to see the ref, can I just take off my i/h/e and put my stock stuff back on, or will I have a problem since the rectum in a police uniform took pictures? Also, does anyone know how much this is gonna cost me as far as the ticket itself and the smog ref? I know I can get a carb sticker for the Injen intake, but what about the Greddy 4-2-1 headers for a 00 civic ex? Does anyone know about that? I just want to get as much information on this as I can so I don't go into it blindsighted...thanks everyone

[Modified by jdmj2, 11:27 AM 8/25/2002]
Old 08-25-2002, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Help PLEASE! Gotta see the Ref... (jdmj2)

anyone have any advice on this?
Old 08-25-2002, 10:51 AM

Go see the refs at Southwestern college. There pretty chill. Just show the Carb Sticker for the Injen intake and as far as the Greddy headers is'nt it welded on there like the DC ones? If not just put the stock junk back on.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Help PLEASE! Gotta see the Ref... (MIZIKETSK)

yeah there's a stamp on the greddy headers...but i wasn't sure if they're carb legal or not. and what about my exhaust? Thanks for the input MIZIKETSK!
Old 08-25-2002, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well any time you fight any ticket you must first figure out if you truly in fact in violation of the law... then you need to find out exactly what the task of the referee is... you must make sure it is not to judge the equipment that was present during the stop... sinse the officer DID take pictures... if they consider the smog judge to be a court/law administrator.. it may even be illegal to modify the car before you go there (tampering with evindance, obstruction of justice, blah blah blah) on the other hand if the referees job is to JUST determine if your vehicle is legal at time of inspection... then it may be ok to put it back to stock.. as long as you intend to keep it that way... i would NOT take it off.. go to the referee, then simply put it back on... that will work for a whole 3 months if that.. till they stop you again.. then they will be VERY angry.. and probably even be more aggresive when writing you up.. california is one of the toughest states to posess a modified car in... if you wish to continue to mod your car, i would become well versed in the law.. and spend the extra cash to be within spec...
Old 08-25-2002, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The cop took pictures in case you try to argue the ticket in court, he has proof that you had a modified motor. The Greddy headers are street legal, but you have to have the actual carb number for them. When you go to the ref, you can pull off the header/filter, and get your ticket signed off. As far as the loud exhaust, the ref doesn't use a decibel meter, his only concern is visual and smog numbers, that's it, so you should be fine witth it. good luck
Old 08-25-2002, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Help PLEASE! Gotta see the Ref... (oc_civic)

thanks man...sound advice about legality at the time of the ticket or when I actually do smog it...
Old 08-25-2002, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Help PLEASE! Gotta see the Ref... (rodrez)

The cop took pictures in case you try to argue the ticket in court, he has proof that you had a modified motor. The Greddy headers are street legal, but you have to have the actual carb number for them. When you go to the ref, you can pull off the header/filter, and get your ticket signed off. As far as the loud exhaust, the ref doesn't use a decibel meter, his only concern is visual and smog numbers, that's it, so you should be fine witth it. good luck
Thanks rodrez! I wasn't sure if the greddy headers were legal or not...now I gotta try and find the carb numbers for them
Old 08-25-2002, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah, if you decide to just pay the ticket off. Usually, on the first offense, the bail is $92.00 for each infraction, but that may have changed, it's been a little while. I'd say, if you can't get the carb paperwork for the headers, throw the stock ones on, and get the ref to sign your ticket off. San Diego can be such a bitch sometimes
Old 08-25-2002, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Help PLEASE! Gotta see the Ref... (rodrez)

thanks once again man! yeah, san diego can be a bitch, especially in clairemont where if you're asian and drive a honda you're automatically a speed racing demon who runs people over...I blame this on the fast and the furious and mtv's true life- i'm a street racer crap...
Old 08-26-2002, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help PLEASE! Gotta see the Ref... (C5_ALLMOTOR)

i believe greddy tries to make all there products legal before they sell them.
Old 08-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Please don't hurt me!

Default Re: Help PLEASE! Gotta see the Ref... (kongzilla)

This is why i love florida dont have to deal with this bullshit