Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help please with damage repairs after 97 EK Hatch was stolen

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Help please with damage repairs after 97 EK Hatch was stolen

My car was stolen a few days after Christmas the car was recovered and totally trashed. Over $3,500 worth of damage and stolen property but insurance won't cover anything and the people who did it won't have to pay me a cent because of the very lenient laws on criminals in Hawaii.

See post #15 for pictures of damage

So the main things I need help with is replacing/fixing the locking assembly on the hatch itself, replacing the passenger door lock and the ignition system was ripped out completely, if there are already threads coving these DIY projects anybody that can point me in the right direction would help me out allot. Half the car was stripped (mostly interior) they even took the special bolt key so I can't take off my rims and I'm on a steelie right now -_-
Thanks for your time guys

Last edited by Former User; 02-09-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Mentioned post # for pictures after merge
Old 01-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 EK Hatch Help please

The door lock is not hard to replace... if tou mean the ignition switch with the harness thats not hard either...

This is a 3 part video on the locks.

This is how to install new ignition switch/cylinder with harness. It also has to be specific for a manual and a auto...

You can use a hammer and chisel/heavy duty flat head screwdriver to wedge out the bolts.

OEM replacements are on ebay with almost every lock need and key.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks mate. It's a 5 speed, manual locks an windows. The passenger door will be easy because I already fixed the window from falling off the track a week before it was stolen. The only lock I can see online for the hatch look weird mine seems to have a counter weight on it or something. I don't know if the hatch or assembly was swapped out at one point before. Ill try to upload a pic. For now I just bolted the lock in place. Dosnt work but from the outside it dosnt look like it was busted out an it still can be popped from the switch eh
Old 01-18-2014, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You would need one like this if you can't fix the old one you have.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Help please with damage repairs after 97 EK Hatch was stolen

If they won't be held responsible criminally maybe you should sue them civilly.

Just a thought.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BeatDX
If they won't be held responsible criminally maybe you should sue them civilly.

Just a thought.
Homeless meth heads. No jobs, no income to get back, I wasn't even alound to check to see if my stolen property was in there back packs and trash bags in my car because its evidence now. I'm hoping to fix the ignition as soon as I hit day 5 ill be able to post all the pics of damages done an problems
Old 01-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If they're meth heads etc go beat the living **** out of them !, no one would care. I'd go and visit them with a nice 3ft breaker bar and get my satisfaction of knowing they "payed".
Old 01-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
If they're meth heads etc go beat the living **** out of them !, no one would care. I'd go and visit them with a nice 3ft breaker bar and get my satisfaction of knowing they "payed".
Wish I could there still locked up. Multipul felons, grand theft auto 4th time and doubt he will spend more then 4 months in jail
Old 01-18-2014, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Dreams
I wasn't even alound to check to see if my stolen property was in there back packs and trash bags in my car because its evidence now.
Well, at least you may get some stuff back once the trial(s) is over.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If they did t already pawn it or throw it away lol
2 days tell I get payed as well. Also they stole my lug key so I can't take off my spare tire lol one of my buddy's wanted to trade my SI rims for a set of 18" works but ill have to lift it back up allot. Anybody have opinions on rim size and tires for EK hatch's?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to get super low profile tires and roll the fenders with 17's so good luck with those 18's.

Worse comes to worse, hammer a socket on the lug.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aloha, you can try and go to a honda dealer, show them the police report. They should be able to help you.

What part of Oahu you from?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by underrated
Aloha, you can try and go to a honda dealer, show them the police report. They should be able to help you.

What part of Oahu you from?
Aloha!
Police did all they can do I have to deal with the detective now. Insurance can't do anything "liability only"
The car cost me $2250 so I'm not looking to invest allot in it just a daily I can have fun with for now. Most of the guys I know are into bikes, 240's, BMW's & Mini's here

North honolulu for now. Might move to Kailua or diamond head in the future how bout yourself?
Old 01-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 808Dreams
Anybody have opinions on rim size and tires for EK hatch's?
Personally I wouldn't go bigger than 15". Balance between ride comfort, performance and looks. Anything bigger and you get more of one aspect but less on one of the other aspects. It will depend on whats your goal.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default 97 EK Hatch. Starting to repair the damages. Advice is welcome and needed

I posted a thread before but I was a trial member at the time. Now that I can upload pictures I can show exactly what I'm dealing with and maybe get a bit of advice an help in the situation

Is it possible to just bolt back together the ignition an put the wires back in place or do I have to buy and replace the whole ignition system for the car?

This is where they started but couldn't get in so they moved to the back, not to worried for now just pissed that a few days earlier I got into the door to fix the tracks so the window wouldn't fall out whenever you roll it down but they broke that as well again and the roller itself that I got to replace they threw away. Would it just be cheaper to buy a whole door then replace all this?

Popped the rear lock out and proceeded to steal everything that wasn't bolted down, then they started taking all the bolts too, still missing about 70% of the hardware and supports an such threw out the interior (including cutting my seat belts so they would retract into the sides never to be herd from again ) and front end. Literally the front end was held on by a few shoe strings after they crashed it into god knows what

This is whats left of the locking mechanism in the hatch itself, I taped the lock on for a few days because I had to get to work and didn't want somebody just seeing they could pop the latch hop in and drive off so I just bolted the lock in place tell i can fix it all

Here is part of my intake system, it was disconected when the cops recovered it, I don't have any before photos so Im not sure what lines went into it and what ones were cap'd.

So now I pose the honest question, should I cut my losses and sell it off and try to get another car or is it worth it to fix the issues with it? I payed right around $2,550 for the car and invested another few hundred in maintenance and parts (most of witch was stolen or trashed) including my new speakers and sub. I have to go to the court soon for the trial as a witness and hopefully these scum bags will be off the streets for a while. I enjoy working on cars but most of my experience has been with chevy's, I'm eager to learn but soon I'll be back in school and I don't want to worry about it just disappearing again. As well as the hole factor of how much will it cost to fix all this? The prosecutor said if the people who stole my car are found guilty it could take months to years tell I would get any compensation and that would only be if they grant it to me and if they pay it. So opinions? Questions? Advice? Anything?

I always wanted an EK Hatch "tell I got one that is"
Old 02-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 97 EK Hatch. Starting to repair the damages. Advice is welcome and needed

Most of the missing rear interior you could get from a junk yard hatch... The ignition switch if the harness as been tampered with I'd change it as well. If not then yes just screw it back it in with the yellow wire at the top screw and solid white towards the bottom screw.

The intake, The second hole from the left there should be MAF sensor harness that sticks in there goes.The third one is for the breather hose from the vlave cover.The hole (black sticker) I put one of the tiny air filters on it or you can cap it

Door locks with keys: I linked you a video how to replace these and the door handle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-1997-1998-1999-2000-2001-Honda-Civic-CRV-Door-Lock-Cylinder-Tumbler-Set-/111115402242?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item19defe7c02&vxp=mtr#ht_1879wt_816
Door handle:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CIVIC-Outside-Exterior-DOOR-HANDLE-96-00-FRONT-RIGHT-/400607930284?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1997%7CModel%3ACivic&hash=item5d4617e7ac&vxp=mtr#ht_1386wt_885

Last edited by chillerice; 02-08-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:06 PM
no one wants to hear the truth

Default Re: 97 EK Hatch. Starting to repair the damages. Advice is welcome and needed

youre going to need a new ignition

you can still start the car by inserting a flathead in the center of the white plastic cylinder and turning it clockwise

as far as the door goes,before you replace it,take the panel off and see if you can put it back together..if not,you can get a door for parts as long as its from a coupe or hatch w/ manual windows

a service repair manual would be ideal but a haynes manual may just do as well.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:13 PM
no one wants to hear the truth

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/diy-window-track-problem-2061336/

hope this helps with the window tracks
Old 02-08-2014, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This time add more security
Old 02-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts