Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP PLEASE!! 94 Civic LX Turns Over but Wont STart!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP PLEASE!! 94 Civic LX Turns Over but Wont STart!!

Fellas!! Car ran fine yesterday, go to start it today and it turns over (sounding not right) but will NOT start. WTF??!! Could this be?? Could it be the fuel pump just shutting down over night or what? And I checkd to see if there was a fuse for the fuel pump and could not find one. Is there a way to check to see if pump is bad? Im kinda tryin to find out somethin today because Ill need to take it to a honda mech. tomorrow.

ALL advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks,
Old 06-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP PLEASE!! 94 Civic LX Turns Over but Wont STart!!

i had a problem kinda like this. it ended up being a ground problem. check all the interior wiring grounds and the one on the thermostat. pull the plug from the fuel pump cover and check for power there. remember the fuel pump is only on for 2 seconds so having a friend turn the key while you check is the easiest way.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont want to sound like a D.A. But where is the fuel pump located??!! I guess Ive been fortunate so far Ive not had to work on my civic much at all!!

Thanks
Old 06-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cueto
Dont want to sound like a D.A. But where is the fuel pump located??!! I guess Ive been fortunate so far Ive not had to work on my civic much at all!!

Thanks
fuel pump is under the rear seat. Pull the seats out (fold the back one down then 4 10mm bolts on the sides) then another 10 mm bolt holding the bottom seat down then pull upwards on the back seat. then undo the four screws holding the cover down (star head) there is the fuel pump.
BTW is your gas guage working? or fuel pumpo??
could be the ground located on the driver seat front pilller behind the trunk release under the carpet: to test get booster cable and ground the fuel pump to clean metal inside the car.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the ECU fuse under the hood, check spark plugs and wires.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuel pump is mounted inthe tank, you can access it under the rear seat, basically take the rear seats apart (remove the backs first)
then remove 1 10mm bolt at the back of the seatbottom and then tip the seat bottoms forward, then up to remove. you will see what I mean.
once you get the seat bottom out you will see a gold or silfer cover with wires going right through it and phillips head screws holding it on. you can remove that cover if you want, but with the seat out of the way you should be able to hear the pump run for about 2-3 seconds when you turn the key to the "on" position Have a friend help if you dont hear it.
if the fuel pump is pumping it might be your grounds as mentioned above or your distributor crapped out.
Distributor is probably my guess, espicially if you are over 150000 miles the ignitor or the coil went and its all inside the distributor.
Whole NEW distributors can be had from autopart international for about 200-250 bucks. Otherwise you can attempt ignitor or coil replacement yourself, coils are about 80 and ignitors area bout 150. Good luck
Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 PM

i had the same problem it was the ecu fuse
Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It could be the main relay too. When you turn the key to on does the fuel pump prime?

Check the acg fuse it's a 15 amp fuse. If that fuse is good and the pump does not prime, check the voltage to the pump. If there is no voltage then the Main relay is probably bad.

What I would do first is check for fuel and spark to the engine. Remove a spark plug attach it to the wire and look for spark. If there is no spark I'd start looking at distributor problems.

If there is spark, it's a fuel problem ie: main relay, bad pump, bad injectors, filter ect.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by b16_sol_707
What I would do first is check for fuel and spark to the engine.
This is where to begin with a no start problem.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE Decided to take it to a local honda and Acura only shop and it was the main relay under driver side dash for the fuel pump, ecu and injectors.......Relay from honda was 65 bucks and charged me one hour labor at 45. All for 118! Drives like a new one.

Thanks guys!!