Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help please. 93 civic idling too high. tps reads .75 volts..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help please. 93 civic idling too high. tps reads .75 volts..

Hello, my name is arthur.

i have a 1993 honda civic cx with a 1996 B18B swap. quick list of mods:

-benen fuel rail
-blox FPR
-fujita cold air intake
-megan 4-2-1 header
-apexi muffler

the fuel pressure gauge reads 45psi when running. i have a slight exhaust leak where the header joins the rest of the piping and im losing about 3 drops of oil a night. im pretty sure its the oil pan screw gasket.

anywas, i finaaly bought a multimeter and to keep this already long story short, took the voltage reading of the TPS sensor when the key is turned to II (fuel pump primes). it reads .75 volts. which i heard its supposed to read .45 volts. ive had a similar issue earlier but now its out of control. by that, i mean that the throttle screw (the one that the throttle eventuallyrests on when the car is at idle, is unscrewed so much that the throttle doesnt rest on it anymore, doesnt touch it at all. and the car idles at 1200 to 1500 once it warms up. WHAT IS GOING ON? how can i fix this? how can i adjust the idle if the throttle doesnt touch the screw anymore?

please help.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: help please. 93 civic idling too high. tps reads .75 volts..

The throttle plate may be unable to close fully. First check whether the throttle cable is adjusted too tightly. It should have 3/8" to 1/5" of freeplay. If the cable is fine, then thoroughly clean the throttle body to see whether gunk is making the throttle plate stick. If still the TPS reads 0.75V at closed throttle, then loosen the TPS screws and adjust the TPS to 0.5V at closed throttle.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The throttle plate may be unable to close fully. First check whether the throttle cable is adjusted too tightly. It should have 3/8" to 1/5" of freeplay. If the cable is fine, then thoroughly clean the throttle body to see whether gunk is making the throttle plate stick. If still the TPS reads 0.75V at closed throttle, then loosen the TPS screws and adjust the TPS to 0.5V at closed throttle.

how do i give it slack if it has none...and what exactly do u mean by slack...i thought the cable should be taught and tight...
Old 07-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1nsoman1ac
how do i give it slack if it has none...and what exactly do u mean by slack...i thought the cable should be taught and tight...
The diagram below is for the stock engine, but it should give you a general sense for how the procedure is done.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The diagram below is for the stock engine, but it should give you a general sense for how the procedure is done.

awsome thank you. so if i check my cable tomorrow and if its tight then i adjust it and so the throttle plate should go down a bit more thus closing the throttle and hitting the screw right? because i can unscrew the screw completely and it wont touch it and it will idle that high. and if its alright then i dont know how i can adjust my tps anymore because ive adjsuted it before and it seems to be all the way rotated as far as it will go aand it will read .45. i cant turn it anymore. is there anythign else i should look for or check? liek for a vacuum leak? but i put in new hoses and took of my intake manifold so i dont think its that cuz i replaced the gasket and tightened everythign up. could it simply be my iacv? it doesnt jump like 1000 rpm or anythign like i know they do..but i cleaned it out last time i took it off. when i start the car up it idles at about 1000-1100 but it sounds like it has trouble staying at idle..like it sputters a bit. not like continually but i can hear a gurgle every 40 seconds or so for about a minute. thats what led me to belive it was tps and i was right...but i didnt understand why it would have gone up to that high after i had adjusted it and the car worked fine for a few weeks. then it started bogging down and so i turned the throttle screw up a little bit so that it would actually idle. so i guess its also my iacv. ugh. thank you for the help any other suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.