Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help to pass state ref smog

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help to pass state ref smog

I need help. I have taken my car, a 1997 Honda Civic with a D16y7 engine in it to the ref 3 times already and have failed all three times. The first time I went it failed because of the HydroCarbens or it could of be a mis-fire. The second time was because the computer/ecu needed to be reset, but it passed the emissions part this time. After I failed the second time I went home and put in brand new spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap, PVC value and took it back and it failed again but this time because the HydroCarben or unburned gas. Can anyone help me out. I'm at a loss for what to do or how to fix it.

Last edited by josh909; 03-06-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 03-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help to pass state ref smog

Originally Posted by josh909
i need help. i bilt my intirer car my self from bumper to bumper. the fontanas finist pulled me over poped my hood gave me a ticket to take to a ref. i keep failing 3 time 1st time hi hc levils at 25mp.2ed time was ecu needed to be reset not hc. 3rd hi hc at 25mp i dont know what to do iv put evrey thing stock back on the car. new spark plugs,wiers,roter and cap,o2 top/botum. i just dont know what to do any suggestions have a appontment tusday agen
learning how to write would most def help other understand the problems that you are facing and help you as fast as its possible.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao
Old 03-07-2010, 01:13 PM

What compression ratio is a d16y7 engine suppose to have? Mine has 100psi with all 4 pistons. What is the min. and what is the max. psi.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is the y7 completely stock?
if not give us a run down on what it has right now (how you bought it, and new stuff you added)
unburnt gas looks like a bad cat. if i'm not mistaken thats the function of the cat. converter is to burn off gas that didn't get burned in the chamber.

ps. thanks for taking the time and redoing your post!
Old 03-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be a bad Catalytic converter, but there are some other potentials.

Catalytic converters perform the following functions (from wikipedia):
Reduction of nitrogen oxides to nitrogen and oxygen: 2NOx → xO2 + N2
Oxidation of carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide: 2CO + O2 → 2CO2
Oxidation of unburnt hydrocarbons (HC) to carbon dioxide and water: CxH2x+2 + [(3x+1)/2]O2 → xCO2 + (x+1)H2O

I am curious as to why the ref is checking your emissions. A BAR inspection only involves the visual inspection done at smog stations. I had my car BARd in January and they did not check emissions, did the regulations change?

As for your unburnt HCs make sure your spark plugs are good, test the primaries and secondaries on your ignition coil and make sure its good. My idea there is perhaps the spark is not hot enough.

Catalytic converters are expensive. I do have a used OBD2A catalytic converter if your in So Cal I'll let you try it out for the smog tech.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am curious as to why the ref is checking your emissions. A BAR inspection only involves the visual inspection done at smog stations. I had my car BARd in January and they did not check emissions, did the regulations change?

Well i have done about four B-series swaps into civics to get them BARd (OBD1 & OBD2). They have always done the visual and the dyno-emissions test. That is crazy that they didnt do it for you but that is also good for you i guess lol. Then again i did all of these swaps within the past 2 years i dont know when you got yours done. I did hear about the regulations changing cuz my hoime does smogs.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My inspection was in January of 2010. Yeah the laws change often from what it sounds like.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 PM

sarry about my spelling im not educated, this is what hapened to me i got pulled over, they popped my hood. i had headers, cold air intake, with a z6 head on a d16y7 block. they gave me a ticket to take it to the state referee for a amissions test. first time i failed was to do with out of timing 7 degrees retarted. several visuals failed to with the amissions. i went and fixed everything put the stock head back on, the ecu was not set. i passed all amissions but the computer failed. so i made another appointment, i put new sparkplugs, wires, roder and cap. went back and failed higher hc levels 70, supposed to be 49. i did a crompession test 140 all the way across. my engine is totally stock, everything is stock, back to normal. the cat is off a 2000 honda civic. could it be low crompessions cause the higher hc levels? does it sound like i need to put new rings in? does it sound like i need new o2 sencires? If so which one top or bottom? i do all my own mechanicing, and i preffere it that way, im at a loss right now. thanks for any suggestions this is my the first time ever asking for help online. i dont want to buy a junkyard motor or a rebuilt one because i have already built this engine minus the rings, because of my stupidity. thank you again. on the paperwork, on the top left corner it says bar and in the middle it says state of california smog check referee center, in sanbernadino county they have two referee stations, one in ontario and one in san bernadino, and on the back of the ticket it says i cant drive my car until the amissions test is complete and file it threw the court. but the one good thing im learning about all of this is the ins and outs of this. now i just need to get my car passed then ill thow my stuff back on, haha...........owya thre is no smok or lost oil

Last edited by josh909; 03-07-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh909
sarry about my spelling im not educated, this is what hapened to me i got pulled over, they popped my hood. i had headers, cold air intake, with a z6 head on a d16y7 block. they gave me a ticket to take it to the state referee for a amissions test. first time i failed was to do with out of timing 7 degrees retarted. several visuals failed to with the amissions. i went and fixed everything put the stock head back on, the ecu was not set. i passed all amissions but the computer failed. so i made another appointment, i put new sparkplugs, wires, roder and cap. went back and failed higher hc levels 70, supposed to be 49. i did a crompession test 140 all the way across. my engine is totally stock, everything is stock, back to normal. the cat is off a 2000 honda civic. could it be low crompessions cause the higher hc levels? does it sound like i need to put new rings in? does it sound like i need new o2 sencires? If so which one top or bottom? i do all my own mechanicing, and i preffere it that way, im at a loss right now. thanks for any suggestions this is my the first time ever asking for help online. i dont want to buy a junkyard motor or a rebuilt one because i have already built this engine minus the rings, because of my stupidity. thank you again. on the paperwork, on the top left corner it says bar and in the middle it says state of california smog check referee center, in sanbernadino county they have two referee stations, one in ontario and one in san bernadino, and on the back of the ticket it says i cant drive my car until the amissions test is complete and file it threw the court. but the one good thing im learning about all of this is the ins and outs of this. now i just need to get my car passed then ill thow my stuff back on, haha...........owya thre is no smok or lost oil

Fixed the spelling for ya!

Sorry about my spelling im not educated, this is what happened to me, I got pulled over, they popped my hood and I had headers, cold air intake, with a z6 head on a d16y7 block. They gave me a ticket to take it to the state referee for a emissions test. First time I failed was because it was out of time 7 degrees. Several visuals failed too. I went and fixed everything put the stock head back on. I passed all emissions but the computer failed, so i made another appointment. I put new spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap went back and failed due to higher hc levels 70, supposed to be 49. I did a compression test 140 all the way across. My engine is totally stock, everything is stock, back to normal. Cat is off a 2000 Honda civic. Could it be low compression causing the higher hc levels? Does it sound like I need to put new rings in or get a new o2 sensor? If so which one top or bottom? I do all my own work, and I prefer it that way. I'm at a loss right now. Thanks for any suggestions this is my the first time ever asking for help on-line. I don't want to buy a junkyard motor or a rebuilt one because I have already built this engine minus the rings, because of my stupidity. Thank you again. On the paperwork, on the top left corner, it says bar and in the middle it says state of California smog check referee center, in San Bernardino county they have two referee stations. One in Ontario and one in San Bernardino, and on the back of the ticket it says I cant drive my car until the emissions test is complete and I file it threw the court. The one good thing im learning about all of this is the ins and outs of this. Now I just need to get my car passed then I'll throw my stuff back on, haha...........and there is no smoke or lost oil.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 PM

i figerd out the problem.it was low compretion so its time to do the rings or going with zc pistens

Last edited by josh909; 03-09-2010 at 08:44 PM.