Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help with overheating problem

Old 10-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with overheating problem

Just bought an 00 civic si, nice looking car. Ran great when i got it, it had a cel and a mechanic told me it was the plugs. I went ahead and bought it. Come to find out its either leaking or burning oil, and now its overheating slightly, pushing coolant back into the reservoir tank!!! what a ****ing nightmare

does the coolant leaking back automatically mean blown hg?

also, if i have to replace the whole motor( i hope to god i dont have to) can i just drop a sohc d16 in there instead??

i really could care less about the performance, i rather have reliability. Thanks in advance

EDIT: Ok so i just spent the last 2 hours outside trying to make sense of this...

First off, when i say overheating, i mean, the needle butterflies up and down, but never past 3/4. Actually, its more like it moves from 3/8 to 5/8, but never higher. I checked the reservoir and it get full after a long drive, but then the coolant goes back to the rad. I turned the motor on, with the rad cap off, revved it by hand and not one bubble came out of the rad hole. I let it warm up, revved it again and still, not one bubble. The coolant is circulating, i can see it move, but after 7 times of revving the engine, absolutely no air or pressure was seen.
No white smoke was seen coming from the exhaust and no milky oil, no oil in the coolant, its bright green. I know these dont mean **** because the hg could still be punctured even if these signs arent present, but just wanted to throw that in there to show i checked that out

Oil is disappearing but i dont know where to. It is not coming out of the exhaust, i checked that after pushing it to 6k several times, and it is not leaking it because i park it in my garage and other than the a/c water, nothing else shows

Last edited by 5.4ever; 10-05-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: help with overheating problem

Overheating - It's possible that the HG is blown, but rule out the simple things before going there. Start by replacing the thermostat and the radiator cap. Buy OEM. Then bleed the cooling system:

This may take 20-30 minutes.

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push the dash heater lever/**** to MAX heat.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below

-----------------------------------------------------
Oil loss - Do you see any fresh oil seen on the engine? If so, post pictures of where you see it.
-----------------------------------------------------
Compression test the cylinders. Click link in my signature.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help with overheating problem

took it to a cert. mechanic, after a thorough checkup, he pulled some codes, looks like its misfiring on 3 cylinders!!! we double checked the hg but it was not showing pressure through the rad. even after revving it to 4k and leaving it for about 30 seconds.

New problem arised, although i think i caused this.

While driving i wanted to see if the fog lights worked, i pressed the switch and nothing happened. I ignored it til i went to turn my a/c on, it wasnt working!!! I panicked thinking the guy sold it to me messed up but then i remembered when i pressed the fog light switch, the lights dimmed and i noticed the little light showing air circulating( by a/c button) shut off. Do these two share a relay or fuse? Thanks in advance