Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help out an OG

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help out an OG

I used to frequent this site back a few years ago when my interest in the import scene was at a high. I still have a swapped hatch, but its very basic as I have lost interest in the scene and only wanted something with a little pep that I could maintain myself. So, a 97 hatch w/ a B18C1 it is. Very basic setup, only aftermarket parts being a headunit, sub and aftermarket alarm. Here is the problem:

Last winter the car wouldnt start. Seemed like an obvious problem with the starter due to the cold weather (which it was). Replaced it and worked fine till a month ago. Went out to leave for work and the car would start. No lights, power, nothing. Put it in gear, rolled it forward and it started to get a charge, enough to start the car by popping the clutch at least. So I replaced the battery. Worked perfect for 2 weeks maybe. Now when I try and start the car it has a battery charge but it struggles to turn over. This makes me think the alternator now needs to be changed. However, if the alernator was bad, why would rolling the car forward to build up speed to pop the clutch result in and electric charge building. If the alternator was shot, it wouldnt build any new power as the car was rolling forward, correct?

After the battery died and I was clutch pop starting the car for a week, I was having alot of trouble with the alarm arming and disarming as the car. Now, that and the radio seem to be acting different. The radio is off everytime I start the car now and it never used to be. It would pick up whereever the CD left off when I turned the car off. Could the alarm/radio be draining the battery while the car is off? Why this suddenly start now if it is the case? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by VTEC-DA; 11-28-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help out an OG

Its normal for the car to lose charge and have the alarm go off when charge is available again, I'm not 100% sure about the alternator during a roll start seeing as I've only roll started when I had a dead cell in my battery...I wouldn't think that a bad alternator would cause the battery to drain when the car is off. I would check the radio connections, I've seen a lot of times people will install a stereo improperly and it will stay on when the car is shut off, you may also want to check your amp to your sub as well. But before buying a new alternator I would try to find someone willing to let you use an known working extra if available to see if that fixes the problem and then you should know that you need to buy one. Just some ideas, sorry if I wasn't much help lol, electrical stuff is not my thing... Hope you can find out what's the cause of this problem! GL!
Old 11-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You brought up a good point I forgot to mention. The radio/sub/alarm had been in the car long before any of these problems arose. Thats why I doubt the radio/alarm is draining the battery but a bad alrernator makes just as little sense.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh okay then lol... I would also check all of your ground wires and maybe even clean the connections, even if that's not the culprit then atleast you wouldn't have to worry about it in the future and you could rule it out. I would definitely try to get a good, working alternator to see if that helps, even if you bought a new one atleast thatd be another thing you could cross out for a while lol, I'm getting ready to replace mine and it works perfect, but at 179K miles, you never know when it may go out...just preventitive maintenance like new oil pump and water pump.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get some1 to test the alternator. at the shop we have a tool that you hook up to the battery and it tests the battery, starter, and alternator. w/o having to pull anything
Old 11-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else?
Old 11-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chinochanginc
get some1 to test the alternator. at the shop we have a tool that you hook up to the battery and it tests the battery, starter, and alternator. w/o having to pull anything
x2
Old 11-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

push start don't need much electrical power to start the car. its just enough for the fuel pump to send fuel to the injectors, atomize then the compression begins once compression begins, the distributor just needs to spark a little and then you have a running car.

really bad at explaining but i think you get the idea.