Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

help with OBD2-OBD1 motor swap-

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 04:01 PM
vestalfootball72

Default help with OBD2-OBD1 motor swap-

Hey guys i posted this in the all motor forum, but thought id post it over here as well-
Hey guys I am in need of a little help with a build/swap that im attempting- The car is a 94 Honda Civic SI, running factory OBD1 electronics. The car originaly had a p30 JDM b16 motor in it (OBD1). I took a OBD2 GSR end, along with a b16a2 head that was in a freinds OBD1 civic. Now when im going through and hooking up all the lines and sensors im having a few issues-
1) The Intake manifold brace does not fit- Do i have to run one from a 1.8 motor due to the increase deck heigh of the 1.8?
2) The vtec solenoid plug is different, and wont plug in- is this a common issue, as there were 2 different types or something?
3) On the back of the block there is the water tube- The gsr has this-

my p30 doesnt have the hole on the left. Where does this go on my swap, and why isnt there the extra tube as this

also in the pic the tube on the left, where does that go?
4)my b16a2 intake mani doesnt have this sensor-

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED- please dont tell me to search i already have and couldnt find what im looking for- i rarely post only when i know something for sure and want to help someone, or when im stumped- this is one of them
Old 12-11-2006, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help with OBD2-OBD1 motor swap- (vestalfootball72)

on the gsr there's another bracket that connect to that "extra" water tube in the middle going into the heater core on the firewall. what you can do is buy a longer hose and route it from the firewall to the water outlet in the rear. or get the original waterneck for it. and it's not missing on the thermostat housing.

part #5 shown here.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:34 PM
vestalfootball72

Default Re: help with OBD2-OBD1 motor swap- (Loi-Tech)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Loi-Tech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on the gsr there's another bracket that connect to that "extra" water tube in the middle going into the heater core on the firewall. what you can do is buy a longer hose and route it from the firewall to the water outlet in the rear. or get the original waterneck for it. and it's not missing on the thermostat housing.

part #5 shown here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks a ton man! - in the second picture however, it shows how my original p30 water housing has 2 connectinos for hoses- Is the one "missing" on the gsr, over on the water tube?

Modified by vestalfootball72 at 8:16 PM 12/11/2006
Old 12-11-2006, 10:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vestalfootball72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks a ton man! - in the second picture however, it shows how my original p30 water housing has 2 connectinos for hoses- Is the one "missing" on the gsr, over on the water tube?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah that goes to the same hose...you can either get the water tube from acura or just run a new hose from the heater core and connect to the back of the motor where the outlet is.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: help with OBD2-OBD1 motor swap- (Loi-Tech)

dont worry about the brace you really dont need it

the little nipple on the head goes to the t/b
big nipple on the back of the block goes to the heater core(if your looking at teh core its on the right)
the white sensor is AIT.. air intake temp.. b16a2 has a black one that goes into the intake piping.. you can rewire your b16a2 harness to a obd1 plug and use the one on the manifold or just keep the obd2 in the intake
Vtec solenoid plugs never changed.. make sure your trying to plug the right wire in
Old 12-12-2006, 02:23 AM

Default Re: help with OBD2-OBD1 motor swap- (Timmay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Timmay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont worry about the brace you really dont need it

big nipple on the back of the block goes to the heater core(if your looking at teh core its on the right)
the white sensor is AIT.. air intake temp.. b16a2 has a black one that goes into the intake piping.. you can rewire your b16a2 harness to a obd1 plug and use the one on the manifold or just keep the obd2 in the intake
Vtec solenoid plugs never changed.. make sure your trying to plug the right wire in</TD></TR></TABLE>
as for that maybe check for the little white cap inside, might be stuck from the other one. happened to me before...
Old 12-12-2006, 04:25 AM
vestalfootball72

Default Re: help with OBD2-OBD1 motor swap- (Timmay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Timmay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont worry about the brace you really dont need it

Vtec solenoid plugs never changed.. make sure your trying to plug the right wire in</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks! - i think a peice is left in the one im using, becuase after it wouldnt plug in, i pulled the other and tried it and it worked fine?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:18 AM
vestalfootball72

bump
Old 12-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for what i just gave you a answer to all your Q's