Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help: OBD1 Z6 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Help: OBD1 Z6 overheating

Ok guys, trouble shooting my del sol d16z6 over heating issue, and i think it is a bad head gaskett but wanted to get some feedback from you guys before i take the head off. Will be updating this as i go, and all the help is much appriciated.
First off, car drive 20-35 min before temp guage goes past halfway and into the hot area. Bubbles in system is not the case i dont think, (i let car run with rad. cap off waited for boiling and tryed to get all bubbles out, car still overheated and continued to boil throughout the test)
Second, No codes, checked thermostat housing, nothing stuck out at me, Have not changed it, this may be the culprit.
Thrid, No leaks, rad seems in good condition, Fan IS coming on, so its not the fan.

Now im thinking it may be the headgaskett, and its a small leak but its obvious that the coolant is getting pressurized, and i dont know of any other way that could happen unless cracked sleeve, bad head gaskett.

Now if the thermostat housing is not opening this would make sense, but wouldnt the car be more liekly to over heat quickly? idk. Anyway, any help is much appriciated.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Help: OBD1 Z6 overheating

Is the lower radiator hose hot when engine has warmed up? If so, the thermostat is opening.

Did you push the heater lever/**** to MAX heat during the bleeding process and place the car on an incline with the front end higher than the rear? This may be needed to get all the air out of the system.

Otherwise, compression test the cylinders and do a leak down test to confirm a blown head gasket. Any coolant in the oil or vice versa?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help: OBD1 Z6 overheating

you bring up a good point, i had neither the heater on or on an incline. I thought usually the air would be forced out of the system if left running for a bit? Ill check the lower hose as well to confirm thremostat opening. dont have a compression tester, so looks like im going to pull head either way. at least you dont have to take the cams out like on b-series, head swap isnt too bad on these guys. Thanks for the input, ill report back with my findings.